grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

15 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Welcome. :)

Some people work at theaters and have inside info but you can check out Fandango for individual theaters or theaters in a certain zip code to seat how sales are going there

We also have aps made my @akvalley      that collect the sales date from the Fandango Pulse https://www.fandango.com/dataviz/index.html#

http://akvalley.pythonanywhere.com/static/Fandango_track.txt

http://akvalley.pythonanywhere.com/static/fandango_past24hours.txt

http://akvalley.pythonanywhere.com/static/fandango_report.txt

Movietickets.com also gives a rolling 24 hours sales % for the top 5 movies

OH so can I help with a theater that is not getting covered right now?

Box Office: Can 'Avengers: Endgame' Crack the $300M Ceiling in U.S. Debut?

"So far, early tracking shows Avengers: Endgame debuting domestically to $200 million to $260 million. However, when the movie sold more advance tickets in its first 24 hours than any picture in history, the speculation spiraled. Box office sources tell THR they believe a realistic range is $250 million to $280 million.

Atom Tickets reported Tuesday morning that Endgame has sold twice as many advance tickets in its first week than its four previous biggest sellers combinedAquaman, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Avengers: Infinity War and Captain Marvel."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-can-avengers-endgame-crack-300m-ceiling-us-debut-1200381?

Edited by FlashMaster659
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Atom Tickets reported Tuesday morning that Endgame has sold twice as many advance tickets in its first week than its four previous biggest sellers combined;  Aquaman, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Avengers: Infinity War and Captain Marvel.

Ah a weekly update - not from Fandango but Atom.

• Astonished 1

25 minutes ago, AhmiiZafii said:

OH so can I help with a theater that is not getting covered right now?

Of course, as said the more the merrier.  I don't think we've had reports from several of the larger cities like Chicago, Washington DC or even L.A. (have we?)  etc or a ton of smaller locations.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Atom Tickets reported Tuesday morning that Endgame has sold twice as many advance tickets in its first week than its four previous biggest sellers combinedAquaman, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Avengers: Infinity War and Captain Marvel."

That’s insane. Linear math tells me that previews will be right around $220m....👀

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

That’s insane. Linear math tells me that previews will be right around $220m....👀

Give it a low internal multi for 1B DOM Ow then ;)   

But also, the fact that Atom’s 4 biggest presellers include CM and AQM instead of BP, RO, or TFA is a good sign of how they’re a new fast growing platform and the 13 month difference form IW presales probably corresponded to a much higher jump in overall presales for them than Fandango (or presales overall).

Edited by Thanos Legion

21 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Give it a low internal multi for 1B DOM Ow then ;)   

But also, the fact that Atom’s 4 biggest presellers include CM and AQM instead of BP, RO, or TFA is a good sign of how they’re a new fast growing platform and the 13 month difference form IW presales probably corresponded to a much higher jump in overall presales for them than Fandango (or presales overall).

I don’t believe Atom was even around for R1 or TFA. I believe it came out in 2017.

So it definitely doesn’t mean as much as if AMC or Fandango said this, but it’s still crazy. 

10 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

I don’t believe Atom was even around for R1 or TFA. I believe it came out in 2017.

So it definitely doesn’t mean as much as if AMC or Fandango said this, but it’s still crazy. 

Very true. But you might expect Atom to be canibilzing the more established online retailers a bit, but yet we are still seeing best ever numbers on those platforms too.

• Like 2

The direct quote 

It sold tickets in the millions in one day (Fandango would not give Business Insider an exact figure), besting the record held by "The Force Awakens."

This is INSANITY.    

No wonder Pulse crashed.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, Premium George said:

Wait, so that assumed number of 400k was way off. Fuck pulse for crashing. We could have seen a number above million.

That’s what he’s saying, but that also implies that the IW number is off significantly as it was less than 50k on Pulse. 

Well bugger. I tried doing extrapolations in a few other different ways and got figures in the 700k-800k for the first day Fandango sales. I didn't post because I thought that was way too high!

Just now, stfletch said:

Well bugger. I tried doing extrapolations in a few other different ways and got figures in the 700k-800k for the first day Fandango sales. I didn't post because I thought that was way too high!

Thing is, since Pulse is sets of tickets, if the avg was something like 2.5 or 3 per sale, you could have been right on target!

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Thing is, since Pulse is sets of tickets, if the avg was something like 2.5 or 3 per sale, you could have been right on target!

Wow, I didn't know it tracked sets, rather than actual tickets.

I was actually using your data to try and extrapolate Fandango first day. 

Your day 1 to day 3 numbers were 14,975 : 566 a factor of 26.5.

If we multiply day 3 Fandango sales (30,292) by 26.5 you get 803k!

Edited by stfletch

3 minutes ago, stfletch said:

Wow, I didn't know it tracked sets, rather than actual tickets. 

Isn't it?  That's what I've always presumed.  Maybe akvalley's tracker actually scrapes multiple ticket purchases per sale.

But, like, if it wasn't sets per ticket, shouldn't you see multiple tickets per theater when they get bought?  Like, someone buys a pair of tickets on a single visit wouldn't two ticket purchases pop up on that tracker instead of one if it was tracked separately?

Edited by Porthos