grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Aladdin is just such an oddity for me. The big Disney remake films have on some combination of novelty and nostalgia for older audiences; I think the marketing and general look of the thing is just not tapping into what people remember fondly about the animated film, which perhaps creatively is a good thing but commercially is probably not wise. The nostalgia crowd would drive early presales, so if those look anemic, that's not a great sign either.

Of course, the big elephant that is Avengers: Endgame is still taking up almost the entire room, so we'll probably have to wait until at least the third week of May to get a proper gauge of things.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

Is ugly dolls headed for wonder park numbers ? 

Doesnt seem like it’s doing much in release week but then against it’s a kids movie 

Ugly Dolls is definitely heading for Wonder Park numbers.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Nova said:

I don’t think using CBM is a good comp for Aladdin. My main goal was to collect data for it and Pikachu since I expect them to play out more like family films and use them as data points for future family films. Sucks that the Fandango data is gonna be incomplete for both so I’m hoping my personal theater will be a good data point until Fandango levels back to normal 

Same here. I need to up my theaters database for family films as I’m lacking in comparisons. My personal goals for Pikachu and Aladdin are to run around 75%-100% Of DM3 tomorrow and Aladdin I think I2 would be a great comp (PG movie, older skewed)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Just a local thing then.  Thanks. :)

Cinemark slates finally went up locally sometime in the last hour, so should still have a good comp for day 1. 👍

All these movies have me duped. I’ve been so accustomed to tracking big tent pole CBM that when a non CBM comes along, I have no fucking clue what to make of the numbers. 

But Aladdin is selling well (imo) on Fandango even with its capping so there’s that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Same here. I need to up my theaters database for family films as I’m lacking in comparisons. My personal goals for Pikachu and Aladdin are to run around 75%-100% Of DM3 tomorrow and Aladdin I think I2 would be a great comp (PG movie, older skewed)

I would use I2 for Aladdin but BATB was a terrible comp for I2 simply cause animation plays differently than live action. Hence why I was hesitant to use I2 for Pikachu too but desperation kicked in. 

For me, BATB is the best comp for Aladdin and unfortunately it’s data we don’t have ugh 

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I would use I2 for Aladdin but BATB was a terrible comp for I2 simply cause animation plays differently than live action. Hence why I was hesitant to use I2 for Pikachu too but desperation kicked in. 

For me, BATB is the best comp for Aladdin and unfortunately it’s data we don’t have ugh 

Do we have comps for Cinderella? That would also be very apropos 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

BATB does has a more female fan base as well as the Emma Watson fans.

2 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Cinderella seems to late imho as that was 2015, anything before 2017 makes things real wonky.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

Maybe a user archived the data for it. Unfortunately we lost a lot of data when the mods had to nuke the old thread cause a bunch of fanboys were taking the data from the thread and posting it on social media to prove a certain movie wasn’t flopping :sadno: 

So I really feel like for a lot of these films especially the live action Disney ones and family films in general we just gotta start from scratch with the data

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

BATB does has a more female fan base as well as the Emma Watson fans.

I mean I would assume that Aladdin would be more female skewing as well. Not trying to make assumptions of course but if I had to make a bet on it, that’s what I’d assume. Hence why I feel like it’s a really good for Aladdin. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Well are we sure Aladdin isn't striking more female then male? For me Aladdin seems to have been remembered more as a Disney Princess movie then a TLK/JB type.

Aladdin was more TLK/JB for me and BATB was definitely a Disney Princess film as a kid.

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Aladdin was more TLK/JB for me and BATB was definitely a Disney Princess film as a kid.

Yeah but I feel like as time's gone by, it's more remembered for Jasmine and Genie then anything else. I'd say it probably won't be as lopsided as BATB, 60% female 40% male but I still think it's leaning more female then male personally.

• Like 1

Why was the old thread nuked?

Also, wouldn't L-addin be more pre-sale heavy than most other family comps because of it being under an already established film banner? BATB seems like a good comp to compare it to in that regard imo

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

@Cappoedameron has the answer to this question :ph34r:

Speaking of, I’m going to track Uglydolls as well cause again my database is lacking.

Tomorrow will be:

PikaPika

John Wick 3

Aladdin

Uglydolls

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I never felt Aladdin was girly as a kid. Definitely did with BATB (still liked it)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Why was the old thread nuked?

Also, wouldn't L-addin be more pre-sale heavy than most other family comps because of it being under an already established film banner? BATB seems like a good comp to compare it to in that regard imo

People were posting insider info outside of this thread and threatening people's jobs.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1