kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 36.2 M ALIEN: COVENANT | 34.7 M GOTG II | 11.7 M EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING

4 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

AVP did $16,442,987  on OD 13 years ago. OUCH. The only man laughing right now is Paul WS Anderson

AVP was PG13 and a big gimmick. And being in 2004 didnt hurt. 

Covenant has no gimmick behind it. 

1 minute ago, PRESIDENT BKB said:

Probably because if you've seen 1 War movie, you've pretty well seem them all at some point.. If anyone else other than Nolan were making this, there would be 0 fucks given about this anymore than the last War movie to hit theatres... ;)

I'd agree, but that tiny Nolan caveat is why Interstellar made almost 700m.

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Similar percentage to Iron-Man 2, once again.

IM2 dropped harder second weekend though. And even though Mother's Day was last weekend it didn't stop IM3 and AOU from dropping 59%.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Wonder Woman won't have big overseas numbers because this character is popular only in US. She is not a Batman level of appeal.

It could, if it really connects with the audience. The good thing about WW is that she was already introduced to the world's audience in BVS unlike let's say, CAPTAIN AMERICA (another popular-in-America-only character back then), which had a solo movie first in 2011. It's overseas box office wasn't really big.

Edited by kayumanggi

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

In today's edition of "you need to be looking at the YT trailer views" by WrathOfHan:

Wonder Woman Trailer 4 from about two weeks ago: 3.5M

The Mummy Trailer 3 from two days ago: 2.5M 

Planet of the Apes Trailer 3 from four days ago: 2.3M

Haven't you learned from Alien?

1 minute ago, franfar said:

Nolan is loved among the Reddit/fanboy crowd, but he's far from a household name.

Hmm, that's debatable. I'd say he's at least borderline a household name. I know way too many people who know absolutely no directors by name outside of Spielberg and Nolan. I definitely don't think he's Spielberg level household name, but he's probably like one more box office juggernaut away from that. 

Top 10 Summer 2017 most anticipated as of now:

10.) The Hitman's Bodyguard

9.) Dunkirk

8.) Baywatch

7.) All Eyez on Me

6.) Detroit

5.) Spider-Man: Homecoming 

4.) Wonder Woman

3.) Captain Underpants

2.) Valerian

1.) Apes

• Like 2

YourMother's Summer Movies ranking (as of 5/19):

1.) Guardians V2 (A)

2.) Alien: Covenant (B+)

3.) King Arthur (C-)

Got plenty more films to see.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Haven't you learned from Alien?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: trailers are not the be all end all and have several other factors to keep in mind, but they are a very string indicator of where a movie can end up.