Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

9 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Deadline revised their estimates to 38.7m OD and 97.1m OW.

And yay gotg2 went up!!!!!

1.). Wonder Woman  (WB), 4,165 theaters / $38.7M Fri. (includes $11M previews)/3-day cume: $97.1M/Total: Wk 2

2.). Captain Underpants  (DWA/20TH), 3,434 theaters / $8M Fri. (includes $650K previews) /3-day cume: $25.7M/Total: Wk 1

3.). Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales  (DIS), 4,276 theaters / $6.3M Fri. (-73%)/3-day cume: $21.3M (-66%)/Total:$114.3M/ Wk 2

4.). The Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 (DIS), 3,507 theaters (-364) / $2.6M Fri.(-51%) /3-day cume: $9.7M (-54%) /  Total: $355.4M / Wk 5

5.). Baywatch (FOX), 3,647 theaters / $2.6M Fri.(-54%)/ 3-day cume: $8.5M (-54%)/Total:$41.3M/ Wk 2

6.). Alien: Covenant (FOX), 2,660 theaters (-1,112) / $1.1M Fri. (-61%)  /$3-day cume: $3.9M (-63%)/Total: $67.1M Wk 3

7.). Everything, Everything (WB/MGM), 2,375 theaters (-426) / $1M Fri. (-50%)//3-day cume: $3.1M (-48%) /Total:$28.1M/  Wk 3

8/9.). Snatched (FOX), 1,625 theaters (-1,033) / $385K Fri. (-65%)  /3-day cume: $1.3M (-68%) / Total:$43.8 M / Wk 4

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul (FOX), 2,088 theaters (-1,086) / $368K Fri. (-71%) / 3-day cume: $1.3M (-70%)/ Total: $17.9M/Wk 3

10.). King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword (WB/VR), 1,222 theaters (-1,281)/ $322K  Fri. (-64%) /3-day cume: $1.1M (-67%) /Total:$37.1M / Wk 4

Notables:

3 Idiotas  (LG), 349 theaters / $175K Fri. /3-day cume: $597K/Total: Wk 1

Isn't that 38.85 the official WB figure? :rofl:

Edited by James

1 minute ago, James said:

Yeah, that guarantees an opening around 60m. Which for an unknown SH is very good.

Ant-man, Doctor Strange and Guardians were all unknown too before they came out and yet they did very well.

This has the added advantage of good reception from CW, first black SH, opening in BHM, and a spectacular cast. 

However to be honest Panther needs good marketing too. Something I have no doubt will be great. People here said Strange marketing sucked and did $85M OW.

• Like 2

6.3 for pirates. 22 more likely than 21.

6.3 + 9 (+43%) + 6.7 (-26%) = 22

APOC was +42-43% on Sat and -28% on Sun.

Could do 23 on the high-end

6.3 + 9.5 (+50%) + 7.2 (-24%) = 23 (-63.5%)

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Deadpool had one of the best if not the best marketing campaigns for a film in the last 15 years. 

I feel like this tidbit is something thats completely forgotten on these forums. 

Yes Deadpool had insane WOM throughout the weekend that it opened but it also had a marketing campaign that was out of this world. Almost everything that was released by the marketing team went viral. Even billboards for the film went viral....remember the emoji billboard? 

People keep trying to use Deadpool as a reason for why x film will do great numbers OW without realizing that a film like Deadpool is the exception and not the rule. 

I said id wait for Black Panther's trailer and marketing before writing it off from reaching $100M because I do believe it'll hit $90M but right now I think a lot of you are creating expectations for the film based on your own personal hype. It's done for every single one of these movies. 

So you think 90M is doable but passing Wonder Woman isn't... that's like a range of 5-10M. No doubt Deadpool had amazing marketing, my point is that Black Panther being a less recognizable character than Wonder Woman wouldn't prevent it from grossing more. 

Just now, PRESIDENT BKB said:

It's sort of interesting how you have the $11M in Previews in brackets included in on the 3 day total when at 1 point in the past, people argued as to whether the Preview Number should've been separate.. How times have changed.. :popcorn:

Those numbers are from deadline people, good god. I just copy pasted it. Go shout at deadline for whatever it is you are complaining about

http://deadline.com/2017/06/wonder-woman-captain-underpants-weekend-box-office-opening-1202106462/

4 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

So you think 90M is doable but passing Wonder Woman isn't... that's like a range of 5-10M. No doubt Deadpool had amazing marketing, my point is that Black Panther being a less recognizable character than Wonder Woman wouldn't prevent it from grossing more. 

That's where my thought is at the moment and until I see something that shows otherwise (great marketing, glowing reviews etc) I see no point in jumping on the Black Panther over WW train. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, James said:

The OD for WW. And it was 38.85, sorry. But Deadline just revised to 38.7 after the WB estimates came in at 38.85. How is that happening?

Any outlet is free to publish their own numbers if they want. Most just usually go with the official studio estimates. Len Klady at MovieCityNews posts his own, which usually vary slightly from the studio's. 

• Like 1

Just now, God Emperor Tele said:

Any outlet is free to publish their own numbers if they want. Most just usually go with the official studio estimates. Len Klady at MovieCityNews posts his own, which usually vary slightly from the studio's. 

Thank you! Serious question: is there anything BO-related you don't know? :lol: 

Just now, James said:

Thank you! Serious question: is there anything BO-related you don't know? :lol: 

I'm very good at talking out of my ass. :ph34r: 

(It's true about Len Klady though. Anyone who has access to RenTrack could in theory post their own estimates.)

• Like 1