Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

27 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Question is if the DCEU will be able to keep that keep average up, which isn't exactly likely. Aquaman certainly isn't going to open higher then WW for example, and yes BVS did underperform technically. 

Time will tell but as of now I see no reason for doom and gloom as the film after Aquaman will be The Batman.

Im certain that film is doing 750ww.

What you also have to think about as well is the MCU has 4 billion dollar films and those Average isn't much higher than the Dceu.

Total
$4,590,423,322

Average

$306,028,221

ww

Total

$11,730.5

Average

$782.0

The Dceu??!!

Im sorry as I was looking it up most of the sites has added Wonder Woman to the pages so the average is brought down for now so I couldn't get the exact numbers

Before Ww I'm certain the average was 

730+ with a 315 domestic average with I believe was a 2.7bil overall total.

Edited by Brainiac5

4 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Lol since when is talking about other movies in specific franchise not relevant? Especially when discussing legs and future projects.

Because in this particular case it usually devolves into the same rehashed arguments. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I would estimate maybe 25% of the Wal-Mart tickets actually had bodies in the seats.  Many theaters were upset that they had prime spots taken up for the promotion and 1/4 full theaters killing their ancillary sales.  

Adding 25% of Wal-Mart to non-Wal-Mart OW gives 116.6 + 3 = 119.6 ow.

Assuming these 3m worth of new audience had the same % of repeat viewers as signified by 116.6 ow=>279 dom (i.e using same legs of 279/116.6=2.39x), the new dom comes out to be 119.6*2.39=286.

Does that sound fair?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mredman said:

this is complete nonsense. MoS had same legs as CW. What is CW excuse huh ? MoS got clipped by MU and WWZ also

Comparing leg in pure absolute or pure relative to OW can both be misleading way to do so, to score "legs quality" both number need to be used imo.

CW  legs: 228.9 million

MoS legs: 174.4 million

OW %

CW: 43.9%

MoS: 40.1%

That is pretty similar leg performance indeed.

CW excuse is being by now very far in a story line that create a lot of resistance among people that have not seen previous movies from 2 different branch or didn't like them, with a huge opening weekend (a bit like an Harry Potter movie toward the end), those are to expected to be very front-loaded.

• Like 1

Just now, damnitgeorge08 said:

Does not bode well for infinity war.

Yep. However I'm thinking most of the GA will go OW causing a huge OW ($185M-$210M) but finish with legs at about 2.25x ($416M-$472.5M) domestic.

• Like 1

Just now, God Emperor Tele said:

Because in this particular case it usually devolves into the same rehashed arguments. 

Most arguments on here are rehashed period lol I mean this thread is already 187 pages long. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to find unique thoughts about WW and DCEU on every page. 

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Out of curiosity, why did the Walmart showings do so bad? Were tickets expensive?

Let's see two situation.

You have not planned to see a movie. You go to walmart, you see tickets, you think maybe I will watch this movie. Would buy tickets later at cinemas, who will keep this ticket for a long time.

You have planned to see a movie. Why would you go to walmart to buy tickets then?

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I have no idea what these Walmart tickets were or whatever but I was always under the impression that MoS opened to $116M and that's the number I see on the majority of box office websites. 

But I guess if we are trying to twist things to fit our narrative we could go with another number. That is usually how it goes around here. 

Wal-Mart as part of their promotional agreement with the film purchased $12m in tickets.  They were set up with specific theaters as dedicated screenings and then Wal-Mart sold the tickets in local stores for normal price.  You got a lanyard and a commemorative plastic ticket for a specific theater and show time.  

The problem was very few people actually gave a shit so nobody went to their local Wal-Mart to buy them.  Some sold like 15 seats and a theater had it in a 300 seat theater in a prime evening slot and only a few people showed up.  The theater got full licensing cut from the seats, but the concession/food/beverage sales were horrible.  Given that is where every theater makes their actual money, it did not go over well and pissed off a lot of theaters.  

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Comparing leg in pure absolute or pure relative to OW can both be misleading way to do so, to score "legs quality" both number need to be used imo.

CW  legs: 228.9 million

MoS legs: 174.4 million

OW %

CW: 43.9%

MoS: 40.1%

That is pretty similar leg performance indeed.

CW excuse is being by now very far in a story line that create a lot of resistance among people that have not seen previous movies from 2 different branch or didn't like them, with a huge opening weekend (a bit like an Harry Potter movie toward the end), those are to expected to be very front-loaded.

What does CW have to do with MOS anyways? They are completely different films outside of being CBMs. Any reasonable comparison really makes no sense. 

There were some theaters that begged Warner Bros. and Wal-Mart to simply give away the tickets in the days leading up to the show.  Theaters at least wanted asses in seats, but to my knowledge the studio wouldn't budge and theater owners took it in the ass.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Wal-Mart as part of their promotional agreement with the film purchased $12m in tickets.  They were set up with specific theaters as dedicated screenings and then Wal-Mart sold the tickets in local stores for normal price.  You got a lanyard and a commemorative plastic ticket for a specific theater and show time.  

The problem was very few people actually gave a shit so nobody went to their local Wal-Mart to buy them.  Some sold like 15 seats and a theater had it in a 300 seat theater in a prime evening slot and only a few people showed up.  The theater got full licensing cut from the seats, but the concession/food/beverage sales were horrible.  Given that is where every theater makes their actual money, it did not go over well and pissed off a lot of theaters.  

Didn't Lionsgate do a Mockingjay double feature a day before previews? How did that turn out compared to MOS's Walmart showings?

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Thanks for the explanation! I kept seeing folks talk about Walmart sales or whatever and was confused lol but that makes total sense from a theaters perspective. Looking at it now I'm wondering why it was even a thing....unless Walmart was planning on giving them at a discounted price, I don't see why someone would buy a ticket for a specific movie from Walmart. 

Knowing this I have no idea why someone would include Walmart sales MoS OW lol 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

It's batman vs Superman, two of the most iconic characters in film history with WW also included. Your comments are dumb because the movie itself underperformed getting what it did. Done talking about this with you. 

Again it may have underperformed but in terms of Shared universe it did fine.

Soon you all are gonna come to the realization that this universe has no flops and at the end of he day that matter more than any of them making a Billion.

We can't throw a 730+ Ww/315 average and throw it out the window as if it isn't an achievement.

7 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

Time will tell but as of now I see no reason for doom and gloom as the film after Aquaman will be The Batman.

Im certain that film is doing 750ww.

What you also have to think about as well is the MCU has 4 billion dollar films and those Average isn't much higher than the Dceu.

Total
$4,590,423,322

Average

$306,028,221

ww

Total

$11,730.5

Average

$782.0

The Dceu??!!

Im sorry as I was looking it up most of the sites has added Wonder Woman to the pages so the average is brought down for now so I couldn't get the exact numbers

Before Ww I'm certain the average was 

730+ with a 315 domestic average with I believe was a 2.7bil overall total.

The DCEU started much later the MCU, not to mention that the DCEU unsurprisingly started out with their big guns right off the bat. When the MCU started CBM's weren't doing so hot overseas for example. They're comparable but the situations are a bit different. 

Edited by Fancyarcher