The Secret World of Arrietty

12 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Secret World of Arrietty

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I would have rather seen the japanese dub over the US dub that we got here, but even so, it's such a sweet, little movie.

Studio Ghibli has always been known for creating visually breathtaking worlds, and this is no exception. The intricate details here are amazing to behold. The narrative has a few minor problems, but it's better than Ponyo, IMO.

B/B+

One of my favorite Ghibli movies, granted I've yet to see a whole lot of them. As a story this is lightyears beyond Ponyo and is just a complete pleasure to watch the entire way through with its likable characters, lush visuals and beautiful soundtrack. With this debut by Yonebayashi the studio appears to be in good hands whenever Hayao calls it quits.

A+

A sweet film, not up to the standards of the Studio Ghibli greats like Spirited Away or Grave of the Fireflies, but better than whole lot of other animes. The story could have been better though. The film's quality and experience was relied on the emotional impact heavily, and I feel that excluding Spiller from the movie and more interaction between Sho and Arrietty would have made a better film. They didn't have enough friendly moments together. The film is visually aesthetic.7/10

This was my first Ghibli film. Saw it at a drive-in as the first film in a double feature while waiting for John Carter. And I fell in love with this movie in the first 20 minutes. It was one of those rare experiences where I got totally lost in the film. The music entranced me. The visuals entranced me. The relationship between Arrietty and her father was so wonderful to me.I was a little let down by the ending. I guess I'm too American and my expectations for a climax was not fully satisfied. But I still loved this movie. Since then I have tracked down most of the other Ghibli films. Ponyo was equally entrancing. MNT was great. Still waiting to get my hands on Princess Mononoke but I remember the stir it caused when it was first released. Looking forward to that one.

beautiful animation. Great story and just a fun film. Not quite on par with some other Ghibli films, but definitely meets its standard. Boy do I love old school anime. Solid B. On a separate note: I wish today's children appreciated this type of animation. I have exposed my little ones, but sadly other kids in the theatre weren't "fascinated" with it. One little kid asked "why does this movie look like this? Why doesn't it look like toy story?"I just felt sad. :(

Heartwarming and very sensible movie, it ended with me wanting more, and that doesn't happen every often. Thank god they didn't took a fantastical route. 80/100

Ghibli Marathon

The Wind Rises 100/100

Grave of the Fireflies 90/100

Spirited Away 85/100

Princess Mononoke 80/100 
The Secret World of Arrietty 80/100

Porco Rosso 75/100

My Neighbors the Yamadas 75/100

Ponyo 75/100

Howl’s Moving Castle 70/100

Whisper of the Heart 65/100

Castle in the Sky 60/100

Kiki’s Delivery Service 55/100

The Cat Returns 50/100

My Neighbor Totoro 45/100

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind 35/100

Pom Poko 20/100

Edited by Goffe

B

Nothing special about this one. Saw it in theaters and missed the first five minutes because of my family, but I hear that part was pointless narration anyways.

There's a distinct lack of tension in the whole movie, which doesn't serve it well. I remember there being plenty of quiet moments, like in any good Ghibli movie, but it really can't pick up the pace whenever something supposedly perilous happens to the protagonists. It's just another whimsical development in some enchanted world.

Edited by cannastop