YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What's going on in here? Discussion of spousal abuse, Scientology, mental abuse and It Comes At Night spoilers because someone saw it and didn't like it. The thread sucks. Good thing It Comes At Night wasn't critically acclaimed CBM or that wouldn't fly. Get back on point, gang.

It's only been 16 pages lol. I wonder what Justice League's thread will look like.

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

He was lucky that turd didn't completely bury his career

d0ozantts4na6akvxypa.gif

The Scorpion King is hilarious entertaining schlock, same with The Mummy Returns.  Can Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich watch these movies and take some notes?

I just watched the 1999 Mummy again recently and as far as action/adventure summer movies go, I think its up there with the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

• Like 6

Just now, Ozymandias said:

The Scorpion King is hilarious entertaining schlock, same with The Mummy Returns.  Can Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich watch these movies and take some notes?

I just watched the 1999 Mummy again recently and as far as action/adventure summer movies go, I think its up there with the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

The Mummy '99 is best Indiana Jones movie not named Raiders of the Lost Ark.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What's going on in here? Discussion of spousal abuse, Scientology, mental abuse and It Comes At Night spoilers because someone saw it and didn't like it. The thread sucks. Good thing It Comes At Night wasn't critically acclaimed CBM or that wouldn't fly. Get back on point, gang. A mod already asked everyone get on point. Clear the junk out of this thread, please.

Good thing I didn't browse through it yet. Will make sure to avoid the middle pages lol. 

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

The Mummy '99 is best Indiana Jones movie not named Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I think Last Crusade is better, but  Mummy 99 is definitely better than Temple of Doom IMO.  Haven't seen Crystal Skull but heard all about it so I think its safe to say its better than that one as well.

17 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

[mod edit]

hahah ijack sounds like he reads too many tabloids.

anyway, back on topic. did i say that WW was awesome? i believe i did, but its worth repeating.

Just now, Frozen said:

People seem to be forgetting that Dracula Untold also made a profit. Tripled its budget WW. But it was a domestic flop and had horrible reviews. That was enough for universal to drop it from the universe. The Mummy is now the same thing. But are fine stand alone films. But forgettable over time and nothing that warrants a universe. 

I just think monsters like Dracula, Frankenstein, Mummy etc don't appeal to today's moviegoers. They really old and they've been done a million times. 

See, that's the wrong mind set. Dracula, Frankenstein, Mummy, Invisible Man and etc can appeal to today's moviegoers. But give them a reason to care, and when I say give them a reason to car isn't to attach A list talent just because. What they need is to go back to the horror roots of these characters, maybe even go Rated R. These stories and this universe could work, if they understood that cinematic universes aren't about A list power, but about stories, good stories. Of course that in a world where vampires became a joke after Twilight Dracula can be effective. Mummy could be a very good scary movie, and hell, Jackman's Van Helsing was a cool idea that went terribly wrong. Go rated R, focus the budget on making it look great with the right people attached and voila, here's your monster universe. 

• Like 1

WONDR 15

MUMMY 11

Universal's The Mummy, starring Tom Cruise, is getting buried by holdover Woman Woman at the Friday box office, according to early returns.

The reboot — the first title in the studio's new monsters-themed Dark Universe — is projected to gross $11 million or so on Friday, including $2.6 million in Thursday previews, for a dismal $30 million-$32 million domestic debut. The Mummy is off to a stronger start internationally.

Wonder Woman, the hit superhero film directed by Patty Jenkins, remains a champ in its second weekend. The Warner Bros. movie is expected to earn $15 million Friday for a $51 million-plus weekend, a drop of less than 50 percent. That's almost unheard of for a superhero film.

THR

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

oops i just read the moderation... back on topic.  [mod edit]

Yeah, even if he doesn't get another credit, he'll probably still be hired as a script doctor years down the line. It's not like he's been involved with a huge amount of big bombs or anything. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Every single time we get a new CBM, regardless of its perceived quality, we get the whole "Which CBM is the most overrated POS ever, eh?" discussion. C8mIuvI.png:P 

1qmcax.jpg

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Every single time we get a new CBM, regardless of its perceived quality, we get the whole "Which CBM is the most overrated POS ever, eh?" discussion. C8mIuvI.png:P 

Which is bullshit. It's so predictable that it's annoying. I don't like Logan, I think it's overrated as hell but by no means I don't think it's a bad film. If anyone tries to revisionist history WW months from now they will feel my wrath. :ohmygod: