YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

6 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

It all comes down to if it was Successful or not.

You all really need to get off of this "potential " thing and understand that These Dceu films are very successful rather they are hitting a Billion or not.

"Potential" is a key thing when studio determine a movie project, just seeing a film being successful or not, is simply too simple, even a simple math will do, we don't need then the marketing arm inside the studio, then studio don't need to spend hundreds of million for P&A.

Everything come to whether it live up "Potential", ignore that would devastating to studio especially in long term.

23 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

Don't get me wrong, I fucking love Stranger Things. But when a kids horror series seem to deliver more scares than a Mummy reboot that it's supposed to kickstart a "monsters cinematic universe" at the face value alone, something is off. 

Calling Stranger Things a "kid's horror series" I feel is severely misrepresenting that show

• Like 9

22 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

IMHO, it's an 8/10 film, right on par with X2. Deadpool in other hand is a 9/10 film, Fox-Men's very best. It's just my opinion, I can understand the nostalgia, but one of the best of the genre? Nah. 

Thinking @God Emperor Tele cares about nostalgia for the X-Men franchise of all things is oddly one of the funniest things I've read on these boards maybe ever lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bruchav said:

I'm a bit cautious, but if Wonder Woman made $53m + this weekend I think it's going to make $295m +.

Wonder Woman are not only  great in weekends, it is also strong on weekdays.

It will be 9M behind MoS's running total while making 12M more with a better hold. Just following MoS multiplier from this point forward would put it to 310M.

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Rman823 said:

Kevin Hart and Dwayne Johnson Meet the Wolfman. 

real talk; my dream pitch in Hollywood right now would be Santa Clause Reboot-Sequel with Kevin Hart and Dwayne Johnson

Imagine Hart (essentially playing himself) stuck in L.A. shooting a film at Christmas with one of his sons sticking around because he wants to spend Christmas with his dad. The Rock hangs out at the house too but then Tim Allen Santa lands on the roof. At his son and the Rock's behest, Hart goes to check it out, and yells up to Santa, but Santa trips in shock and falls off the mansion, giving Tim Allen his only line:

Kevin Hart puts on the now empty suit and the rest of it is a remake/sequel of The Santa Clause that adds in Hollywood satire (Kevin Hart has gained some weight!) while answering unanswered questions about the original Santa Clause trilogy (what happens to the Mrs. Claus? Does Santa really die? Are there ghost Santas?). I really want this to be made

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

"Potential" is a key thing when studio determine a movie project, just seeing a film being successful or not, is simply too simple, even a simple math will do, we don't need then the marketing arm inside the studio, then studio don't need to spend hundreds of million for P&A.

Everything come to whether it live up "Potential", ignore that would devastating to studio especially in long term.

As far as I see it ,The Dceu Phase one is averaging 311dom a film if that isn't potential then this Dceu will never live up to The standards most of you set for them.

TDk made 500+dom that doesn't mean every Batman film has to hit the same number.

If Reeves Batman makes 800ww on a 140mil budget The talk will be about more about how it didn't make a Billion rather than its success 

Edited by Brainiac5

3 hours ago, God Emperor Tele said:

Doing countdowns is actually a fair amount of work too. Better to channel your inner Coolio or Chewy or (at minimum) a MrPink. 

I'm the low rent like whore I see. :sadben:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Blankments said:

real talk; my dream pitch in Hollywood right now would be Santa Clause Reboot-Sequel with Kevin Hart and Dwayne Johnson

Imagine Hart (essentially playing himself) stuck in L.A. shooting a film at Christmas with one of his sons sticking around because he wants to spend Christmas with his dad. The Rock hangs out at the house too but then Tim Allen Santa lands on the roof. At his son and the Rock's behest, Hart goes to check it out, and yells up to Santa, but Santa trips in shock and falls off the mansion, giving Tim Allen his only line:

Kevin Hart puts on the now empty suit and the rest of it is a remake/sequel of The Santa Clause that adds in Hollywood satire (Kevin Hart has gained some weight!) while answering unanswered questions about the original Santa Clause trilogy (what happens to the Mrs. Claus? Does Santa really die? Are there ghost Santas?). I really want this to be made

Home Improvement was one of the greatest TV Shows on the planet. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Well, Kevin Hart actually is playing Santa.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brainiac5 said:

As far as I see it ,The Dceu Phase one is averaging 311dom a film if that isn't potential then this Dceu will never live up to The standards most of you set for them.

TDk made 500+dom that doesn't mean every Batman film has to hit the same number.

If Reeves Batman makes 800ww on a 140mil budget The talk will be about how it didn't make a Billion rather than its success 

who in the right mind, would ever set a bar that high for DCEU by looking at just TDK's performance?

Even they set the bar that high, it's justifiable for BvS, (although too harsh for SS or WW); They were all still a success especially MOS and SS. either way, the main thing is that I like to emphasis how "potential" matters, whether it's exaggerated, it's another issue. 

I do accept the term of "successful failure" especially in the case of BvS, where it made profit clearly, but does it live up to its potential? 

Again, everything come to potential, every decision, from casting, shooting, budget allocation to marketing strategy, studio must recognise their film potential or the potential of their competitor.

I'm just completely disagree we take movie business that simple, world doesn't works in this way.......       

• Like 2

Greetings everybody!

This is my first post here--I was very interested to see how WW box office was doing and found this site again and have been lurking for a few days. I don't know where else to post this question but this might be the best place for it:

Since WW is doing so well, how much leeway do theater owners have in keeping screens for it, particularly IMAX? For example, this weekend where The Mummy is tanking, can an owner decide that they think they'd make more money if they have IMAX/large-screens for WW instead, can they do so?

Right now I've seen WW four times so far, and would like to take my nephews and nieces to it (I took some yesterday), but I have yet to see it in IMAX 3D but almost all the theaters around here have taken it out of their IMAX 3D showings. Any chance it can move back to IMAX 3D or is there no way?

• Like 10

1 minute ago, grimfandango said:

Greetings everybody!

This is my first post here--I was very interested to see how WW box office was doing and found this site again and have been lurking for a few days. I don't know where else to post this question but this might be the best place for it:

Since WW is doing so well, how much leeway do theater owners have in keeping screens for it, particularly IMAX? For example, this weekend where The Mummy is tanking, can an owner decide that they think they'd make more money if they have IMAX/large-screens for WW instead, can they do so?

Right now I've seen WW four times so far, and would like to take my nephews and nieces to it (I took some yesterday), but I have yet to see it in IMAX 3D but almost all the theaters around here have taken it out of their IMAX 3D showings. Any chance it can move back to IMAX 3D or is there no way?

1.) Welcome to the boards

2.) Probably not. Cars 3 opens in IMAX next week.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

who in the right mind, would ever set a bar that high for DCEU by looking at just TDK's performance?

Even they set the bar that high, it's justifiable for BvS, (although too harsh for SS or WW); They were all still a success especially MOS and SS. either way, the main thing is that I like to emphasis how "potential" matters, whether it's exaggerated, it's another issue. 

I do accept the term of "successful failure" especially in the case of BvS, where it made profit clearly, but does it live up to its potential? 

Again, everything come to potential, every decision, from casting, shooting, budget allocation to marketing strategy, studio must recognise their film potential or the potential of their competitor.

I'm just completely disagree we take movie business that simple, world doesn't works in this way.......       

Everyone is setting the bar too high ,This is why there's  a few who are saying WW opening to 100mil was kinda a disappointment when MoS,BVS,SS opened to 115,166,133.

This is a perfect example of too high of standards.

Im not calling it simple but its dumb to keep dwelling over the fact the BVS didn't make a Billion ,especially Now that The Dceu is on its way to four 300+dom grossers in a row.

Damn the fact that one of those films didn't make a Billion this is a very big accomplishment for a Any Shared Universe .

Edited by Brainiac5
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

I don't think we can say yet that WW will pass SS and BvS. We'll have to wait a couple more weeks IMO, but so far it's looking good.

IMO, that is already the target: to be the biggest DCU film domestically. It is going to be very close. Anyway, if it finishes with 315 or 335 it is not very important. The run will already be amazing.

13 minutes ago, YourMother said:

1.) Welcome to the boards

2.) Probably not. Cars 3 opens in IMAX next week.

Actually Cars 3 isn't getting IMAX apart from very select locations. So there is a chance IMAX can switch back to WW if Mummy nosedives today and tomorrow 

• Like 2