WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Hey folks! Good to be back at BOT. I've been busy but I feel like there's a void in my life since I haven't tracked and discussed the box office of GotG2, Pirates 5 and Wonder Woman. I've found myself wondering "I wonder what the guys and girls at BOT were saying about WW's stellar 2nd weekend??". So, I felt I needed to get back in the loop here.

What are everyone's thoughts on this coming weekend? Looks like CARS 3 is going to have a bit of a soft weekend, at least by Pixar standards.

Everyone's expecting it to surge tomorrow but I'm not sure that's going to be the case. Cars 2 dipped 9% on its first Saturday and this franchise doesn't strike me as one with significant preview frontloading. If this estimate holds it's going to be off 2's pace by 20% and with DM3 on the horizon and a apparent general sense of indifference to its existence I think it could ultimately end up a lot closer to The Good Dinosaur than people are expecting.

3 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

I've heard some people told after "Lucy" success,  that Scarlett Johansson is a box-office  star :insane:

And we finally  to dot the i's and cross the t's with this

Someone posted earlier that Scarlett Johansson not being on social media may be hurting her movies as she cannot promote them to her fans directly. There may actually be some validity to that line of thinking, especially in today's connected marketing space

• Community Manager

Where the Wild Things Are might seriously be the best movie about childhood.

BUT

the most believable best kid probably every put on screen is John Connor in Terminator 2. :ph34r:

I don't always succeed in writing believable kids I guess (this is hard) but I at least try to. Most of the time.

• Like 1

Hope Cars3 does not fall from 21.

IO fell 10% and Minions 15.6% on Sat. Cars3 could be in the middle with a ~13% drop on Sat.

21 + 18.3 (-13%) + 15.7 (-14%) = 55

IO fell 18.5% on Father's Day Sunday. Probably Cars3 lends itself more to FD.

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

sunshinelightrainbowssunshinelightrainbiwssunshinelightrainbows

I mean, I've seen one of his movies. I've got one datapoint and it's a really broad character that leans hard (in a fun and entertaining way) into various stereotypes and tropes rather than being a fully-formed character. 

The sample size is too dang small, man. :lol: 

• Community Manager
Just now, Telemachos said:

I mean, I've seen one of his movies. I've got one datapoint and it's a really broad character that leans hard (in a fun and entertaining way) into various stereotypes and tropes rather than being a fully-formed character. 

I haven't seen it, I probably won't, but oh no you didn't.

• Like 1

Just now, Telemachos said:

Someone should watch Boy then :ph34r:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

I've heard some people told after "Lucy" success,  that Scarlett Johansson is a box-office  star :insane:

And we finally  to dot the i's and cross the t's with this

Don't you know Lucy's success was all Besson. Get ready for history to repeat itself this summer. :qotd:

33 minutes ago, superduperm said:

You're missing out on some good movies. Unless you're an anti-animated kind of a person.

Oh, I'm not anti-animation at all. I love classic Disney and I recently watched - and thoroughly enjoyed - Tangled.

• Like 1

Just now, Water Bottle said:

You just criticized like the one movie aabattery decided to stan for hence my "oh no you didn't"

But I really liked WILDERPEOPLE. It's just a really broad movie where basically everyone in it is a stereotype or a riff on a stereotype. I mean, the concept of it is older than dirt. 

15 minutes ago, a2knet said:

BRAVE was a text-book B film. More B than Bee Move :sparta:. Didn't mind at all watching it on the big screen once, but didn't care to watch it ever again.

CARS2 a text-book C film. Still preferable to MINONS and even PETS imo (Just as I was trying to wrap my head around how TJB could do 360+ and was pinning it on dat nostalgia effect + tech wizardy, PETS happened. It has neither and did 360 :kitschjob:).

pets was a bigger surprise to me, people in 2016 was just too obsessed with talking animal  

• Like 1