WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Looks like he is a bit lost on how to handle the Superman Uni. Did great with Batfleck. Did well with WONDR in the cameo.

"Looks like" is an understatement.

I mean, to be fair, he did okay casting the vast majority of the Superman universe - Cavill could be a really good Superman, Amy Adams sounds perfect for Lois Lane, Laurence Fishburne nails Perry White everytime he gets a chance to actually play Perry White, Diane Lane and Kevin Costner are good choices for Pa and Ma Kent, Russell Crowe did a good job as Jor-El, I actually thought Michael Shannon's Zod was one of the two good characters in MOS (besides the performance)... most of it sounds right. Eisenberg as Luthor was just a big time mistake, but whatever.

The problem here is that he has no idea how to handle these characters. Of course that a rampaging post-Dark Knight and Superman Returns world WB feared that a Superman that didn't punch anything and was another total boy scout didn't help, but Snyder's vision was far from the correct one - he basically turned Superman into Batman V2, aka a brooding and assholish guy who fights as a vigilante/outlaw and goes out of his way to usually save only the people that make him happy, not everyone around him selflessly for the good of us all. That's not what the character is all about. Doing different interpretations of the character is fine - and you absolutely can do a darker version of Superman, no problem, the fucking comics have done it regularly - but you NEVER miss the point of the character. Snyder missed the point of Superman in this universe.

Oh well.

• Like 2

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Tracking had it at 70M for the 5 day, but presales are half of what POTC had at AMC.

Hmm..., interesting. Think you are too low but even if it matches tracking that's quite a dive. Not that i really care...

Wow, Rough Night just died this weekend, Wonder Woman going strong probably didn't help it either. Those Baywatch and Covfefe drops are hilarious as well. Mummy might end with 75M, Pirates with 165M.

Cars 3 not exactly setting the box office on fire, its final total will depend on DM3's strength now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I thought TF2 and 3 were pretty strong in that regard? 

My bad, then. I had the idea that TF3 and TF4 had weak pre-sales.

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm already laughing my ass off at TJ Miller :ohmygod: The next 2 and a half hours will be fuuuuun. I eargely await the gif moment.

Good GOD Nicola Peltz is already bad

You never watched it before? Get ready for so bad it is good god awful moments and a different movie from act 1 to act 3.

17 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Did you guys notice those Pirates & GOTG holds despite losing a combined 2k screens+ this weekend? Very strong holiday action. -21% each.

Double/Triple Shows with Cars this weekend. They will drop hard next 2 weekends as TF and DM3 take over drive ins. 

3 minutes ago, BeastByTheBay said:

Just saw an article citing Wonder Woman as the reason these movies are doing bad at the BO :sparta:

Going into the summer: "It will be tough for WW to break out, it has a lot of competition."

Now: "All these other movies are hurt by WW's dominance."

WW is the Rorschach to the other movies' prisoners. :lol: 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I thought TF2 and 3 were pretty strong in that regard? 

actually 2 I remember had good presales but a lot of people expected more. It then dominated with walk ups

3 and 4 I don't think set the world on fire with presales with some people saying the movies had little hype before they opened. 3 actually had an opening day that was considered bad and many people said sub 300m would happen. It picked up over the weekend

02.16 BLACK PANTHER

04.13 NEW MUTANTS

05.04 AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

06.01 DEADPOOL II

06.15 THE INCREDIBLES II

07.06 ANT-MAN AND THE WASP

10.05 VENOM

11.02 DARK PHOENIX

12.14 ANIMATED SPIDER-MAN

12.21 AQUAMAN

I think ANT-MAN AND THE WASP staying flat from the first should already be an achievement. It is the movie that I think will be affected the most by this cbm saturation. Not expecting much from VENOM. Will it be rated R?

Just now, kayumanggi said:

02.16 BLACK PANTHER

04.13 NEW MUTANTS

05.04 AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

06.01 DEADPOOL II

06.15 THE INCREDIBLES II

07.06 ANT-MAN AND THE WASP

10.05 VENOM

11.02 DARK PHOENIX

12.14 ANIMATED SPIDER-MAN

12.21 AQUAMAN

I think ANT-MAN AND THE WASP staying flat from the first should already be an achievement. It is the movie that I think will be affected the most by this cbm saturation. Not expecting much from VENOM. Will it be rated R?

Venom will flop and Animated Spidey will be lucky to get 150m. Dark Phoenix also should be the lowest grossing of the entire X-men franchise

Edited by John Marston

more info on DM3 opening

DESPICABLE ME 3

Despicable Me 3
Universal Pictures

From Illumination and Universal, this threequel hopped on the holidays in five markets giving Gru and his long-lost charming, cheerful, and more successful twin brother Dru a start of $10M at 686 dates. Helmed by Kyle Balda and Pierre Coffin, this is actually the 4th film in the franchise if we include spin-off Minions. The previous three films have a collective global gross of $2.67B, with each one topping the former’s international performance. Some of the launches this weekend came in below the more recent iterations, although it’s early days with a lot of runway ahead.

The UK and China have typically led markets (although the first movie never opened in the Middle Kingdom). They both open later in the run.

This session in Australia, DM3 was No. 1 with $4.4M at 284 dates. The opening is 17% bigger than DM2 on the same date four years ago and 2% below Minions two years ago. Malaysia opened No. 1 with $1.1M at 134 dates. That’s Illumination’s third-biggest opening behind Minions and DM2. The Philippines debuted No. 1 with $2M at 175 dates for the 4th biggest animated opening of all time behind Minions, DM2 and Finding Dory. In Singapore, the film is No. 1 with $1.5M at 30 dates for the top animation start of the year and the second best for Illumination aside from Minions. Thailand was further No. 1 with $963k at 65 dates; 3rd-biggest animated opening of all time behind Minions and Finding Nemo.

The releases continue next weekend with India opening on June 23. The main launch weekend is June 30, when DM3 opens in 46 territories along with North America. China bows July 7.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Venom will flop and Animated Spidey will be lucky to get 150m. Dark Phoenix also should be the lowest grossing of the entire X-men franchise

Again if Panther breaks out and does $300M+, ASMM will do TLBM to BH6 numbers for the same reason Panther broke out.

Edited by YourMother