grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I'm just so fucking sick of hearing about how great WW is doing, how stunning Gal is, etc. It's basically become an echo chamber.

So you're sick of hearing the truth?

I couldn't take anyone seriously if they tried to argue the opposite of either of those.

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

If 7.6M holds, a lowball weekend will be

10.6 (40% increase)

7.4M (30% decrease)

25.6M

Thats downright ridiculous and would make 400M a good possibility 

Gap between WW and GOTG 2 BO at same point (4th Friday) has narrowed to under $18M...just sayin...

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm just so fucking sick of hearing about how great WW is doing, how stunning Gal is, etc. It's basically become an echo chamber.

I mean we're talking about a 100m+ opening CBM that could finish with a 3.8-4x multi. Do you really not realize how mind mindbogglingly insane that is? As in it shouldn't even be possible in the early 00's let alone 2017. How do you expect people to react? 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 20

Just now, grey ghost said:

It could be said that Star Wars was just a ploy to sell toys.

It doesn't mean it can't be anything more.

Batman was for 8 year olds until the fans got older and made the stories relatable to teens and young adults.

I mean I don't care what they do with Transformers, but a grimdark Transformers wouldn't work.  It'd be like asking for a Pokémon game that's about animal brutality or something.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Cars 3 having an OK hold (TF no doubt hurt it since they both appeal to young boys). Normally this would be OK but with DM3 next week it is fucked. Whoever made this release date decision is a moron

Well, if they made a movie up to their standard they wouldn't have to worry about this

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm just so fucking sick of hearing about how great WW is doing, how stunning Gal is, etc. It's basically become an echo chamber where any shred of difference in box office projection is met with disdain. 

... but... it IS doing astonishingly well. 

• Like 15

I don't have much going for me in my life right now. All the movies I've liked this summer outside of GOTG have underperformed greatly, and it's just been a pretty weak summer so far for film. Combine that with constant anxiety about shit I deal with irl, and it's not really pleasant.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

We should make a new WW club every week just to keep Han's meltdowns coming.

WW fifth weekend over Supergirl DOM total ($14.3M)?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean we're talking about a 100m+ opening CBM that could finish with a 3.8-4x multi. Do you really not realize how mind mindbogglingly insane that is? As in it shouldn't even be possible in the early 00's let alone 2017. How do you expect people to react? 

Wonder Woman's legs aren't just great legs for a comic book movie, but they're unreal legs in general.  Even large opening animated films don't easily pull WW like legs.

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Maybe Lord and Miller can take it on now that they're unemployed. 

@Blankments

real talk I've thought Lord/Miller doing a Transformers reboot would be incredible

That said, I'd rather have them do Flash or somehow get on animated Spidey as directors before that

(Or do an original small budget movie that can be out by next Fall, GOD I AM IN WITHDRAWAL OF THEIR FILMS)

I didn't put a number on it but I called great legs for WW when it opened. Just felt like it was hitting at the right time.

Was so wrong about that movie before that weekend, though. Had zero faith in DC to pull anything off.

I don't have much going for me in my life right now. All the movies I've liked this summer outside of GOTG have underperformed greatly, and it's just been a pretty weak summer so far for film. Combine that with constant anxiety about shit I deal with irl, and it's not really pleasant.

joey-friends.gif?w=620

• Like 1

Be happy with the movies you enjoyed. They got made and you got to like them. You're on the cusp of breaking out into a whole new exciting part of your life -- let movies be the fun part, not an annoying part. 

• Like 15

Just now, aabattery said:

I semi-agree that the Gal stanning can get a little over-the-top at times, but I do exactly the same thing with Taika Waititi so I'm not really in a position to criticise that.

Eh, your stanning is at least fun. So much of the Gal stanning is just "OMG SHE'S SO AMAZING/STUNNING/INSPIRING/ETC", and it just gets old really fast to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Well, if they made a movie up to their standard they wouldn't have to worry about this

Cars 3 had the closest gap between it and the Illumination film of the summer than any other Pixar film, Dumb decision no matter what 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

I semi-agree that the Gal stanning can get a little over-the-top at times, but I do exactly the same thing with Taika Waititi so I'm not really in a position to criticise that.

It basically happens with every single movie that BOT (collectively) likes. Moreso for movies we like that also perform well. 

• Like 4