grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

I think we can all agree that DM3 is going to kill Cars next weekend. Monsters U fell 57% against DM2 after a better 2nd weekend hold, Cars 3 will likely see a similar drop if not higher.

What is considered to be normal 3rd weekend drop? I mean, how Cars 3 should behave not to be considered "killed by DM3"?

43 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think we can all agree that DM3 is going to kill Cars next weekend. Monsters U fell 57% against DM2 after a better 2nd weekend hold, Cars 3 will likely see a similar drop if not higher.

Good riddance, the whole franchise is a huge disappointment & yet the financials say from merchandising that it's essential to Disney's P&L. 

47 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Makes me wonder what Disney was thinking . Even Dory had a three week gap until Pets

Edited by John Marston

29 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

DM2 still had better legs even without the Wednesday opening. I still think the franchise had peaked even if DM3 still makes Bank

That's fair man. I'd add franchises usually peak in their first or second entry regardless. Especially among animated films. 

Edited by GiantCALBears
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ttr said:

What is considered to be normal 3rd weekend drop? I mean, how Cars 3 should behave not to be considered "killed by DM3"?

Anything over $11.5 million would be decent for Cars 3 next weekend. Coupled with summer weekdays, it would likely be on pace for $150-160 million DOM at that point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Makes me wonder what Disney was thinking . Even Dory had a three week gap until Pets

DIsney is thinking on the ~3B it's gonna make in merchandise, directly to Disney's pocket. Cars franchise is not for boxoffice money but merchandise tons of money. Cars 1 & 2 made well beyond 10B in merchandise revenues though they made 1B ww combined. 

• Like 2

Just now, meriodejaneiro said:

DIsney is thinking on the ~3B it's gonna make in merchandise, directly to Disney's pocket. Cars franchise is not for boxoffice money but merchandise tons of money. Cars 1 & 2 made well beyond 10B in merchandise revenues though they made 1B ww combined. 

Yeah, they print money with all of the kids stuff it's sells. Just go into your local department store and you are very likely to find it. 

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I cant with people actually believing that Minions wasn't  liked by kids..

They could literally make a movie with Minions sleeping for 2 hours and kids would still LOVE it...

Okay, this is a true statement...especially for kids 3-9.  Mine have watched the DM3 trailer 300x and are STILL entertained enough to put it on again.  So, yes, I'll be seeing this in theaters, although probably not OW b/c of family plans...

BUT, right now, I'm watching screens for this movie.  All 3 of my theaters (mall and 2 local) only have 2 allocated, and my personal "it can only make $50M/screen max" rule means this might open to a Pets number as the max...but my theaters do update Tuesday/Wednesday and some of the holdovers have had BAD holds, so they might be torched to make way for 3rd screens.

Speaking of screens, my mall already has FOUR for Spidey...that's GOTG 2 level from earlier this summmer...just an FYI...

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES: $517.8M Overseas Total / $677.8M Global Total #PiratesoftheCaribbean

with Japan to come 750m looks likely. Above TF5

Even 800M is still at reach. 10 dom (could be 15) + 20 intl (could be 25) + 90 Japan (which will be on par with Pirates 2 and 3, considering Pirates 4 benefited from a positive exchange rate and reached 108M). 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

What other studio had a big release this weekend? Hmmmmmmm. (Hint: It's a trick question).

Interesting moment:

BAYWATCH
Paramount

$225,000

+73.2% / $469
$56,132,889 / 30
$284,000

+26.2% / $592
$56,416,889 / 31
$191,000

-32.7% / $398
$56,607,889 / 32

I see 0.7 mln of the weekend. Where studio finds another 758 thousands?