grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Novelty is an important aspect of humor. Redundant action and redundant vfx is more tolerable than redundant humour imo. That is why it is probably tough to make a good sequel to a comedy. Jump Street definitely pulled it off brilliantly.

Deadpool is an action-comedy, so I think as long as it has the proper hook the sequel can grow (or stay relatively flat) from the first.

4 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Han literally didn't do anything, right? this is totally the same shit as the people waltzing over to KJ because of me

He low key couldn't take any criticism to the MCU at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

Deadpool is an action-comedy, so I think as long as it has the proper hook the sequel can grow (or stay relatively flat) from the first.

Not sure what that has to do with anything. It's also a superhero movie.

Just now, YourMother said:

He low key couldn't take any criticism to the MCU at all.

my favorite thing is him coming in my Infinity War club to trash BvS and I was just like that's not relevant and that triggered him so hard. FUCKING AMAZING

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think that dad that Han pissed off might post here.

Anyway, people in the 2018 thread seem to be putting Avengers and Solo as the biggest movies of next summer. It'll decrease sharply, but that 100 percent feels like Jurassic World 2 to me. The last one was bigger than the Avengers, and dinosaurs are still a relative novelty, plus it has that cross generational appeal. It's the only one I see probably going over 400.

Agreed. It's going to decrease from JW, no doubt, but I still see it as the best contender for the 2018 crown (especially now that Solo lost its directors mid-production).

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think that dad that Han pissed off might post here.

Anyway, people in the 2018 thread seem to be putting Avengers and Solo as the biggest movies of next summer. It'll decrease sharply, but that 100 percent feels like Jurassic World 2 to me. The last one was bigger than the Avengers, and dinosaurs are still a relative novelty, plus it has that cross generational appeal. It's the only one I see probably going over 400.

I'd love to like the 1st comment:)...

As to the 2nd, I like to predict summer 3-6 months out, when you get to see all the previews of the movies.  It's tough making a call on something site unseen that's a sequel (to see if it's tired or fresh) or worse, a new concept, unless you KNOW that's gonna work (yes, I made this guess 11 months ago on The Star for this winter, but that was bold prediction stuff, and I'm as prepared to be completely wrong on it once I see the previews:).  It's also tough to know where the GA's mind is gonna be - what they are sick of, what movies have worked/not worked, what "too many good or too many bad" in the same space movies there have been, what events may have happened to let everyone either want dark thoughtful movies or fun fluff pieces, etc... 

• Like 3