grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

Just now, grimfandango said:

It became apparent to me right away that Han was not criticizing WW on the merits of the film itself, but from a point of misogyny,

Y'know when we call him an MRA, we're joking.  He's not actually sexist.  He just doesn't like the film :lol: 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Guys, Wonder Woman isn't that good of a movie.

wait fuck now I'm gonna get thread banned.  rip me but worth it for the cause

1. Wonder Woman

1768. Valerian

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grimfandango said:

Ok, here is my two cents as a very new member on this forum, keeping in mind that I don't have a history here and I respect that I don't know much about this community:

It became apparent to me right away that Han was not criticizing WW on the merits of the film itself, but from a point of misogyny, and his comments over the last 24 hours bears that out. I suspect that for Han, WW became a lightning rod for his personal issues with females, and it getting the high praise and adulation that it did just aggravated him.

It's fine to not like a film because it doesn't match your tastes; that's the subjective matter of film critique. But to continuously put down a movie, and basically hound its fans and act like a troll, especially without being able to objectively defend your position, makes the forum experience for those fans less enjoyable for no good reason.

Admittedly I am a huge WW fan, and I have pointed out exactly why I like it and why I think it is a landmark film in pretty decent detail, and am willing to defend my opinion on those merits.

It seems to me Han has some maturing to do, and I hope this minor ban will allow him to reflect on his attitudes. If you hate a film for whatever reason, it makes no sense to jump into threads specifically supporting that film and start complaining non-stop about it. If you must, say your piece and move on unless somebody invites you to discuss it further, at which point lay out an actual argument and defend it, and accept at some point that some issues are simply a matter of taste and you can't really change somebody's taste in something.

And having seen your detailed posts I can also say that you are an exception to the vast majority of fanboys that post here. Obviously behavior and attitudes are subjected based upon an individuals experiences, length of time to the exposure of said behaviors, etc. I never took Han's behavior (particularly the last couple of days) as misogynistic but my point of view is obviously different from anothers. Han while needing to mature (he is still a teen afterall) is one of the least misogynistic members on this board so it humors and dismays me that his opinion on this one film has given him that appearance and you aren't the only one to make such statements.

But then again, any more in this day and age if you say anything against a female oriented subject the cries of misogyny come out in full force - Including the comments from most members on this board when I first posted that I felt WW was lacking as a film.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

Wonder Woman just needs a 4x multiplier from this weekend to make it to 400m. I think it will make it to 350m by the end of next weekend, if not very close, so by the time Spidey hits, it just needs to stay a little stronger.

Transformers 5 wasn't quite as disastrous as it seemed to be yesterday, but no doubt 150m will be an uphill battle. 

I think The Big Sick (aka the opposite end of interracial dating of Get Out) is gonna be a BIG indie player throughout the entire summer. It'll have the chance to build WOM now and could have a surprise breakout run. It's apparently a major crowd pleaser.

TBS definitely has potential. WOM is awesome. Although the IMDB score is only a 7.2, it did improve from a 7.0. Plus, it's imdb rating is deflated by the 81 users out of 602 who gave it only a 1. I can't be surprised if this passes $100M. 

5 minutes ago, grimfandango said:

Ok, here is my two cents as a very new member on this forum, keeping in mind that I don't have a history here and I respect that I don't know much about this community:

It became apparent to me right away that Han was not criticizing WW on the merits of the film itself, but from a point of misogyny, and his comments over the last 24 hours bears that out. I suspect that for Han, WW became a lightning rod for his personal issues with females, and it getting the high praise and adulation that it did just aggravated him.

It's fine to not like a film because it doesn't match your tastes; that's the subjective matter of film critique. But to continuously put down a movie, and basically hound its fans and act like a troll, especially without being able to objectively defend your position, makes the forum experience for those fans less enjoyable for no good reason.

Admittedly I am a huge WW fan, and I have pointed out exactly why I like it and why I think it is a landmark film in pretty decent detail, and am willing to defend my opinion on those merits.

It seems to me Han has some maturing to do, and I hope this minor ban will allow him to reflect on his attitudes. If you hate a film for whatever reason, it makes no sense to jump into threads specifically supporting that film and start complaining non-stop about it. If you must, say your piece and move on unless somebody invites you to discuss it further, at which point lay out an actual argument and defend it, and accept at some point that some issues are simply a matter of taste and you can't really change somebody's taste in something.

Hey man, we're just giving Han a hard time.  He's not actually a Trump-loving MRA, quite the opposite actually.

You can dislike WW as a film and not be a MRA. (Although I do think you're flat out wrong if you think it's a bad movie)

• Like 6