Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

12 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

RT Watch Update: It's a bit of a toss up right now between 'Baby Driver' and 'War for the Planet of the apes' for being the best reviewed film of the summer thus far. The new Spider-Man is also one of the best reviewed films of the summer thus far, and it remains to be seen how films like Dunkirk and Valerian will do with critics. They could both add to what could prove to be overall a very strong July for critical reception.

Despicable Me 3 is the worst reviewed film of the trilogy, and perhaps surprisingly sits somewhat worse than Cars 3 in terms of critical reception.

The House is one of the worst reviewed films of the summer, essentially on par with Transformers when it comes to having a terrible average rating.

2017 Summer Films RT Watch (Wide-Release — May/June/July/August)

1. Baby Driver — 97% — 8.2 rating
  2. War for the Planet of the Apes — 96% — 8.3 rating
  3. Spider-Man: Homecoming — 92% — 7.6 rating
  4. Wonder Woman — 92% —  7.5 rating
  5. It Comes At Night — 86% — 7.4 rating
  6. Captain Underpants — 85% — 6.8 rating
  7. Megan Leavey — 82% — 6.7 rating
  8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 — 81% — 7.1 rating
  9. Alien: Covenant — 71% — 6.4 rating
  10. Cars 3 — 67% — 6.1 rating
  11. Despicable Me 3 — 63% — 5.7 rating
  12. 47 Meters Down — 53% — 5.5 rating
  13. The Dinner — 51% — 5.6 rating
  14. Rough Night — 48% — 5.5 rating
  15. Everything, Everything — 48% — 5.5 rating
  16. Snatched — 36% — 5.1 rating
  17. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales — 29% — 4.7 rating
  18. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword — 28% — 4.6 rating
  19. Baywatch — 20% — 4.0 rating
  20. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul — 19% — 4.2 rating
  21. All Eyez on Me — 17% — 4.3 rating
  22. The House — 16% — 3.4 rating
  23. The Mummy — 15% — 4.2 rating
  24. Transformers: The Last Knight — 15% — 3.3 rating

(Last summer half of the 42 wide-release films tracked were “rotten” on RT, and only 10 of the films had an 80+%.)

Peace,

Mike

Hey, Mike...thanks a whole lot for your detailed posts about multipliers and critical rankings. I appreciate the effort and the analysis/

• Like 8

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

And if they have a bomb/disappointment you're completely free to celebrate that too.

Though ironically you didn't really take that opportunity with either Cars 3 or The Good Dinosaur. You seem to only care about hating Pixar when you know you can trigger someone.

Naaa. I dont try to trigger anyone. I just state my opinion. And if you don't like something a studio is putting out and it's clearly not aimed for your age group why do people get so upset over it?

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

A blockbuster level movie with a prehistoric shark attacking in the present next August.

A prehistoric GARGANTUAN shark.

43 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

He thinks suddenly everybody will agree with him that the movie isn't that good. He's been more wrong about WW every single day than Tele was about Michael Mann movies in China. 

:lol:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Y'all are ****s for still saying I'm too pessimistic on WW. How would you like it if I was saying you were pessimistic on something I stanned for?

Well everything you stan for usually fails so there's no such thing as being too pessimistic 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Hey, Mike...thanks a whole lot for your detailed posts about multipliers and critical rankings. I appreciate the effort and the analysis/

Thanks so much! I'm glad they are appreciated/helpful for someone. :) 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Thanks so much! I'm glad they are appreciated/helpful for someone. :) 

Peace,

Mike

I am sure lots of people appreciate your posts. But you know we are just too busy fighting over which comic book universe is better! :P 

Seriously, thanks; I love your posts.

• Like 1

The more I think about it, DM3 number domestically is extremely disappointing.

Cars and Underpants both under performed, should have left a huge hole for a family film to take over. And really, only Wonder Woman did super well throughout the entire month of June. 

Marketing had been relentless, it's not like kids didn't know it was coming out.

This is a pretty big weekend in general, so if it doesn't have great mid-week numbers I'll be shocked.

3 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Despicable Me 3 was a good movie. Lots of fun! And Trey Parker is a great fun villain! And the chemistry between Gru and Dru is great! Overall a solid entry.

Steve Carell played great against Steve Carell, I take it.

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The more I think about it, DM3 number domestically is extremely disappointing.

Cars and Underpants both under performed, should have left a huge hole for a family film to take over. And really, only Wonder Woman did super well throughout the entire month of June. 

Marketing had been relentless, it's not like kids didn't know it was coming out.

This is a pretty big weekend in general, so if it doesn't have great mid-week numbers I'll be shocked.

It's just what happens when there's a fourth entry in a series. We all should have seen this coming. I'm pleased with the result, mainly because I like it when something unexpected happens at the box office.

@Nova congrats on med school. If you want Ortho, you're going to have to remain in the top 10% of your class AND the whole idea of ortho is not just what you know but WHO you know; network, network, network. Having an athletic background helps as many programs are described as bro-clubs. Enjoy your final two summers, but you'll still have the time to enjoy cinema and box office discussions. Start studying for Step-1 once school starts because you need 260 min to get into an Ortho program, probably. Good luck!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UrosepsisFace said:

@Nova congrats on med school. If you want Ortho, you're going to have to remain in the top 10% of your class AND the whole idea of ortho is not just what you know but WHO you know; network, network, network. Having an athletic background helps as many programs are described as bro-clubs. Enjoy your final two summers, but you'll still have the time to enjoy cinema and box office discussions. Start studying for Step-1 once school starts because you need 260 min to get into an Ortho program, probably. Good luck!

What's up bud!! I was just thinking about you and how I haven't seen you posting here like you did. Hopefully work hasn't been taking a toll. Glad to see you back though even if it's only for a little bit! Thanks a lot for the advice! :) 

Really nervous and excited for the road ahead lol I'm gonna be a really busy bee soon enough! 

5 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Wonder Woman is now only $9 million behind Guardians 2 at the same point, but after the 5th weekend G2 started to get great legs. WW is going to face a massive opener in each of the next 3 weekends: Spider-man, Apes, and of course, Valerian.

I think it's going to be an exciting race between the 2. Great year for comic book movies. :hi5:

WW is still comfortably outgrossing GOTG2 on a day-to-day basis and should continue to do so for some time. In fact, I project WW to pass GOTG2's dailies by next weekend. The question is whether GOTG2's late legs have enough oomph to catch back up... WW should build up a buffer of $5-6m million before that happens.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, a2knet said:

Doing $25-30m in Japan will require breaking out big. (in context of dom and dceu and cbms in Japan, would be like doing 600m+ dom)

$20m+ itself would be super. (500m dom)

$15-20m would be great. (400m dom)

$10-15m in line with expectations. (300m dom)

$100m or more is like doing 1b+ dom. (again going by how cbms behave in Japan and dceu's history).

Sad to know those terrible numbers on SH movies in Japan. But can WW break out like some big female-driven movies like Frozen or Spirited Away?

It would be a different story.