CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

Black Panther will be bigger than Thor 3. First lead black superhero since Blade and it's got a solid month and a half with barely any competition. With how black-led films are always underestimated by box office predictors and how well-liked Black Panther was in Civil War, I don't see how it misses 300M. Especially with Coogler at the helm.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Y'all over predicting IW. It ain't doing more than CW

Thing is CW didn't have Thor nor Hulk which were two big players in the Avengers movies also not Guardians nor Strange nor Loki nor Thanos which could help give a more epic feel. However it's destined to do under Ultron.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

Black Panther will be bigger than Thor 3. First lead black superhero since Blade and it's got a solid month and a half with barely any competition. With how black-led films are always underestimated by box office predictors and how well-liked Black Panther was in Civil War, I don't see how it misses 300M. Especially with Coogler at the helm.

I do think 300 can happen as well with the right storm of marketing and WOM, but 400 seems almost impossible. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Telemachos said:

It wasn't just a cliffhanger. We ended with the heroes wounded and damaged, one parental figure badly hurt, multiple major villains revealed, and our heroes swearing they'd bring the war to the evil-doers.

Those poor fans... :rofl: 

almost as bad as ending a Spider-Man franchise with two parents, an uncle, a girlfriend, and a girlfriend's dad dead with a weak Spidey likely to die fighting the rhino

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Wonder Woman is much bigger brand. Iconic and know by the GA for half a century. I don't see it.

I have IW potentially doing as little as BvS numbers 

I think BP will have a bigger OW than WW

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I do think 300 can happen as well with the right storm of marketing and WOM, but 400 seems almost impossible. 

400M is moronic and is completely overcompensating that whole "black-led films are always underestimated by box office predictors" thing

A "logical" predict for Black Panther is 250M; I see it likely falling around 310-330M

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

So WW is about to gross 400 million and now some think that films like Black Panther, one of the lesser known superheros, is going to do the same?  

Image result for uh no meme

I really need to download this show. I miss it.

3 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Is Hancock not considered a pure superhero movie ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blankments said:

You might not want to count your chickens before they hatch, or you might be setting yourself up for a big disappointment.

Perspective .. perspective .. :D

• Like 1

I disagree strongly about it being that stand-alone tbh. I'd bet $20 to the forums to anyone that it has a smaller multiplier than Guardians 2. Its overconnection to the larger universe is gonna hurt the legs aspect of this.

(Only one bet tho)

1. Guardians 2 opened in May without those beautiful summer weekdays.  

2. SM: HC will have a younger and more family driven audience which usually translates to legs

3. The part of the MCU that SM is directly tied into to is the one on the higher grossing end.  Civil War did $408m/1.15b.  Iron Man - well he's just huge.  That umbrella covers an awful lot of audience.  It's like saying Rogue One is hurt by being part of Star Wars

4. Even then the film can stand on it's own with the MCU connections only making it better for those that are into it.

• Like 3

400M is moronic and is completely overcompensating that whole "black-led films are always underestimated by box office predictors" thing

A "logical" predict for Black Panther is 250M; I see it likely falling around 310-330M

Agreed, 250 is the safe bet for it. 300 if everything really goes right for it. 

• Like 1

That would be pretty impressive by theway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

2. SM: HC will have a younger and more family driven audience which usually translates to legs

3. The part of the MCU that SM is directly tied into to is the one on the higher grossing end.  Civil War did $408m/1.15b.  Iron Man - well he's just huge.  That umbrella covers an awful lot of audience.  It's like saying Rogue One is hurt by being part of Star Wars

4. Even then the film can stand on it's own with the MCU connections only making it better for those that are into it.

So bet?

After giantcalbears lunacy, a $20 bet will be good too.

Homecoming can easily stand on its own without being reliant on being familiar with MCU. And like I already mentioned, MCU has a fantastic multi track record with their non-sequels. It's more likely to hit 3x than to miss it based on their track record. 

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

okay so do you want to bet or not? could refute your stuff but too lazy and I'd rather have one of us help out the forums