CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

Civil War had raves as well and still legs were just "ok".

x2.4 If I am not mistaken.

It's too early to call where it's legs are going to be this early on. Audiences are loving the film. 

So yeah, that Saturday drop is pretty disappointing. A 3x still isn't off the table, but I see it around a 2.8-2.9x now.

FUCKING LOL DM3. How did people think it was hitting 40M based off the Thursday number?

Baby Driver.... BANANAS

3 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

This is doing good OS. DM 3 is a beast.

Also, didn't DM3 open in China this weekend?  

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

There 's a rush no doubt.  That doesn;'t mean it can't have good legs.  But good legs, before we got Gal spoiled with WW, for a comic book film, are usually about 2.7.  That's bout 313.  That would be outstanding

Yup. More realistic OW DOM now around $117M to $120M. Could still have very good legs. Sunday hold will help begin to define what kind of longevity Spidey will have... I still think $300M+ DOM is very likely.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

So DM3 could hit 850 WW.  Awesome!

IMO 850 is locked. If it does 150 in China and 230 DOM it'll need about 470m from other OS markets. Considering how well it's doing in most territories, that doesn't seem too hard. I think 900m+ is very likely.

• Like 3

Okay thanks for the update about Despicable Me 3 guys. I have not been following the international run very closely for the last week. That's terrific news. 

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

I want DM3 to do 1B and laugh when it passes the mark.

Me too lol. Domestic looks like it's going to end around 2:20 so it needs close to $800 to pass the billion mark. That would truly be incredible. It would also make @James a genius when he said that the minions and Despicable Me is much more suited to an international audience than it is to a North American one.

• Like 3

In Germany, DM3 looks like it will drop from Minions by a decent amount, but make more than DM2. That seems to be the trend in a lot of markets. DM2 did 603m OS with a much lower Chinese gross than DM3 will have. So I think 700m OS is definitely a possibility. 800m is very unlikely, though unless it has amazing legs.

Sigh...I'm off riddle duty this week...course, when the number goes up about 10% in an hour...I feel better about knowing the $34M wasn't right:)...Wish he broke $40M, but seeing DM3's increase was also pretty muted, it seems families enjoyed their swim meets and great weather on a summer day...

As for all writing off Spidey for the summer, except one brave poster...this thread feels like the WW OW thread part 2, where everyone was like "this is done, stick a fork in it, GOTG has won the summer, this won't make more than $250M, etc, etc, etc"...

One day does not make Spidey's BO run...he still has the whole rest of the summer to run as the only supers movie til Nov so he will NOT get dropped from theaters for a long time (ala Wonder Woman - wow, that's again familiar), he is getting above 90% from audience (and critics) on RT (although the audience now matters more - and they are saying they like it at 4.4/5 stars - same as WW), he's a lighter comedic movie not a death march so he's perfect summer material, he was again PG-13 so families will again be doing the "check with me" and trickling in ala WW when they find out there's nothing objectionable (which having not seen it yet, I'm assuming is the case b/c most on here haven't mentioned the "OMG, how did that scene not make this R"), and he had no "free ticket/cheap ticket" deals to drive OW audience rush in early so people will pop in as they pop in (the best deal, Fandango's $3 off any movie has already been announced that it will be around through Labor Day)...

Does that make $300M a guarantee?  No, but I'm not writing off any BO number for Spidey until more of the summer plays out...nor am I writing off his chance to top WW until we see more...he starts with a $15Mish lead, so legs won't have to be as impossibly awesome...still will need pretty awesome, so it's less likely...but it's not a "stick a fork in it" certainty yet...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Mark my words: the DM franchise will be in the 400M WW range within 3 movies. Ice Age 4 did nearly 900M yet the 5th barely crossed 400M.

Let's say you are right. Does it really matter what they're going to be at? The budget for these films is insanely low and this is the fourth movie and it's going to be well over three billion dollars already. And how nice of you two s*** on a movie 3 movies down the road when a 4th one is doing insane business overseas and is going to probably clear 900 million LOL

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Mark my words: the DM franchise will be in the 400M WW range within 3 movies. Ice Age 4 did nearly 900M yet the 5th barely crossed 400M.

Here's the thing though, Ice Age had 1 decent and 2 really mixed ones. Not to mention, Ice Age never reached big heights domestically. Illumination is one of the kings in marketing and producing crowdpleasers. Unless they keep on making movies more like Hop/Minions than Pets or their upper tier Sing/DM1/2/3 they won't sink that low.

• Like 2