CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

8 minutes ago, Subzero said:

There are always risks in movie making, no matter what movie it's.

If a Production budget/advertisements = 100s Milli +, then it's a risk. It's not easy to recoup that money back, unless the movie is a hit

So risks are involved no matter what. So I don't get the point of arguing risks or no risks. It's a business, no different than the stock market, when one is willing to put his/her money on the line to make or break.

There is always something at risk (how much you will make, how much the sequel will make, etc...), but I don't think there is any reasonable risk of Star Wars 8 not making is money back, as long as theater still exist and have electricity during it's release.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hopefully BP doesn't somehow end up the lowest grossing MCU film though, (excluding Hulk obviously), or else we'll be faced with endless racism debates. 

Its more likely to out gross Infinity War

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

How high can Spidey swing Saturday? $43M+? Thoughts? Predictions?

I think 43 is possible.  That's a 20% bump from true Frdiay.

23 hours ago, Nova said:

The unique thing about Spider-man Homecoming is that you don't really even need to know anything that's happened before. 

A person could walk into the theater without watching any prior MCU film, and not be confused about what's going on. And I think in the end that's going to help the movie in terms of its legs. While it is connected to the MCU obviously, it's still very much a stand alone Spider-man film. 

I disagree strongly about it being that stand-alone tbh. I'd bet $20 to the forums to anyone that it has a smaller multiplier than Guardians 2. Its overconnection to the larger universe is gonna hurt the legs aspect of this.

(Only one bet tho)

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Hopefully BP doesn't somehow end up the lowest grossing MCU film though, (excluding Hulk obviously), or else we'll be faced with endless racism debates. 

I don't see that happening  The MCU has such an inbuilt fan base now that I think Ant-Man is currently the lowest it could hit and I think it's going to do far better than that at least domestically.  It currently has far more buzz than Dr. Strange had I can't see it opening lower than that unless it's a critical bomb which I'm not expecting.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Actually it may be the opposite. Panther has a good chance to breakout domestically and any controversy will only help it here (see WW, Zootopia, Get Out), it's the foreign audience that may have a problem.

I didn't say it would be successful abroad, I just said there wasn't this political climate you have in the US :P

I don't see much potential in OS markets.

• Like 1

I have to say if there's one thing that'll keep CBMs as a whole alive is the different genres they're adding in to prevent a samey feel and they're great too.

Guardians franchise: Space Opera/Comedy

Winter Solider: Political Solider

Kingsman franchise: Spy

Ant-Man: Heist

Deadpool: R-Rated Comedy

Logan: Neo Western

Wonder Woman: First Big Female Superhero movie/WW1

Spider-Man: Homecoming: Coming of Age

Black Panther: First Big African American Superhero movie

New Mutants: Horror

The Batman: Mystery/Noir

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

So WW is about to gross 400 million and now some think that films like Black Panther, one of the lesser known superheros, is going to do the same?  

Image result for uh no meme

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

There is always something at risk (how much you will make, how much the sequel will make, etc...), but I don't think there is any reasonable risk of Star Wars 8 not making is money back, as long as theater still exist and have electricity during it's release.

LOL yes SW is an exception ..crazy fan base. I remember when the phantom Menace came out people were lining up for like 2 days.

Edited by Subzero
  • Like 1

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

We just WW out gross BvS and Civil War fall under Iron Man 3. It seems very possible to me

Why would an original film about a lesser known super hero make more than the penultimate Avengers film?

4 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Its more likely to out gross Infinity War

Actually I can see it happening if Panther pulls a Wonder Woman, and IW stays flat it'd be like ($415M vs $410M).

• Like 1

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

We just WW out gross BvS and Civil War fall under Iron Man 3. It seems very possible to me

Except Wonder Woman is having one of the most impressive blockbuster runs of all time. You're basically asking BP to repeat that. Hardly even close to being easy or likely. 

• Like 2