WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

15 minutes ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

Phantom Menace's superb "second weekend" drop is mostly attributable to it opening on a Wednesday and second weekend being a holiday...

And it beeing 1999. A whole different era of moviegoing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Legs dont tell thewhole story always guys.

Would it be fair to say that Suicide Squad had better WoM than CW? 

It's certainly debatable, in the US at least.

FWIW I didn't much like Civil War, and had so little interest in SS I didn't bother with it it at all.

Edited by Hatebox

6 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Spider-man fans like SMH just fine.

I already pointed out how SMH did better against franchise fatigue than almost every franchise sequel this year.

Way better.

Not really.

4 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm fair. I thought that BvS and SS horrible second weekend drops were word of mouth related and so did everyone else. What makes Homecoming different from those films that were judged to be disliked by the audience based on their bad second weekends? And why can't MOS use the competition excuse when it went up against 2 movies that totalled 150mil while Spidey only went up against an underperforming film that couldn't even muster a 58mil opening weekend?

If Spidey doesn't recover in it's subsequent weekends, then what will you say about that?

Don't forget inflation.

6 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I don't care how many "SMH sucks" videos are out there.

You can probably find several videos on YT saying the Star Wars prequels are better than the Disney SW movies.

Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

I see that very clearly.:redcapes:

4 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm fair. I thought that BvS and SS horrible second weekend drops were word of mouth related and so did everyone else. What makes Homecoming different from those films that were judged to be disliked by the audience based on their bad second weekends? And why can't MOS use the competition excuse when it went up against 2 movies that totalled 150mil while Spidey only went up against an underperforming film that couldn't even muster a 58mil opening weekend?

If Spidey doesn't recover in it's subsequent weekends, then what will you say about that?

I feel Man of steel held better since it went up against more compitention.

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

But you're judging SMH completely based on the 2nd weekend drop though.

Based on the 2nd weekend drop Thor 2 is almost as good as Guardians of the Galaxy and Logan and better than Civil War.

There's also that fri-sat drop as well.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

Not really.

But SMH will increase 50% from the last movie.

Most franchise films this summer decreased.

It's the first Spider-man movie in history to make more than the previous movie.

You guys think a movie just as bad as TASM2 would make around 300 m DOM.

You think it was inevitable?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

Your right there's no need to keep going on about a film to that has been proven to be overhyped.

Yet you keep throwing shade.

So is Thor 2 better than CW?

I mean, that 2nd weekend drop tells us everything, right?

Edited by grey ghost

7 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Tickets sold or legs don't indicate quality.

A New Hope made way more than Empire Strikes Back.

When novelty wears off it can hurt great movies at the box office.

This may come to a shock to you but a lot of people prefer Star Wars to the Empire Strikes Back.  Now in large part this is because Star Wars was a standalone movie and ESB was a cliffhanger ending which was not as common and turned a lot of people off but that's the case.  I think ESB was the best but it is hardly a consensus for the general public.

7 hours ago, Barnack said:

That does not sound that valid, they pay before seeing and having any clue if they like the movie at all. There was certainly a bigger crowd interest in the first one, is novelty, etc... that what box office mostly tell us. There was 0 resistance for the first one.

Most films that are huge surprises collect goodwill that is seen in subsequent releases.  I personally think that the first Pirates of the Caribbean and the first Transformers movies were the best (partly because or originality and partly because of superior stories) but they weren't the highest grossing entries in their respective sagas.

Here's the key distinction.  You can be the most critically acclaimed movie in a series and NOT be the most popular movie in the eyes of the general public.  But to say that a movie is the "consensus favorite" when it is not the most popular movie in the series.  It's just not the correct terminology.  One of the strongest indicators of an items popularity is purchases.  In this case tickets are purchases.  When movies have great legs and make extraordinary runs it is not because the audience just had too much to do on earlier weekends or had plans for the first month of release.  It's because they heard from family or friends about a movie and decided they wanted to see it themselves.

For example, lets say that the sales of the Honda Accord exceeds the sales of the Toyota Camry but 15 out of 20 of your friends agree with you that the Camry is a superior vehicle.  You might have driven both vehicles and believe that the Camry is the better vehicle but saying that the "consensus favorite" is the Camry would just not be a position supported by the facts.  You would have to make a claim that even though the majority of people preferred the Camry they bought the Honda for some reason (and in this case ticket prices were not substantially different between 1977 and 1980).

As anecdotal evidence, I saw Spider-Man 2 with around 50-60 parents and children at an IMAX theater as part of a YMCA event.  The "consensus opinion" was that, while SM2 was enjoyable, it didn't have the same impact or quality as the previous movie.  And when the word of mouth is "Yeah, it's good but not as good as the last one." you can expect a drop in tickets as that information disperses as a lot of people who aren't avid movie goes will just choose not to go.  If the WOM had been that it was as good or better than the first I believe it would have sold another 5-6 million tickets at least.

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Yet you keep throwing shade.

So is Thor 2 better than CW?

I mean, that 2nd weekend drop tells us everything, right?

Imho Yes, I do have a post here saying that The Thor Series is actully my Favorite of The MCU trilogies.

Its not shade just because you don't get it.

So far there's two factors that supports the argument that is presented to you.

#1. Fri-Sat drop

#2. Second weekend drop<Catwoman's Second weekend drop.

The only day SM:HC held better than Catwoman on was Tuesday which That wasn't big back then but in Dailies Catwoman is winning so far with lighter drops and that film didn't have 3-D.

Now before you respond just think about it I'm able to compare this films drops with one of the most horrible comic book films Known to Mankind.

• Like 1