Finnick

MOEDAY NUMBERS (Chapter Two) : APES:$5.79M | SMH:$5.46M | DM3 2.6M | BD 1.2M | WW: 875k

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

War gets worse the more I think about it tbh

Not only is he a casual but he thinks the best movies of the Summer (Wonder Woman and Apes) are mediocre. I thought only Ethan had bad taste.

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I'm sure you'll buy the digibook anyway. :P 

Whatever trilogy set there is I'm getting :kitschjob: 

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Not only is he a casual but he thinks the best movies of the Summer (Wonder Woman and Apes) are mediocre. I thought only Ethan had bad taste.

lmao, they are far from the best of the summer. The only movies this summer I'd call great are Baby Driver, Big Sick, and ICAN. 

Covenant too lel

Edited by WrathOfHan

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

lmao, they are far from the best of the summer. The only movies this summer I'd call great are Baby Driver, Big Sick, and ICAN. 

I am seeing BD tomorrow actually. Hopefully I get a three peat of Dunkirk/Valerian/Big Sick over the weekend. 

Edited by YourMother

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Some? :lol: 

Okay I really don't think I need to see Megan Leavy or The Mummy to qualify my favorite movies of the summer. But yeah obviously ICAN, Big Sick and whatever else has a chance to be up there.

7 hours ago, a2knet said:

That would be interesting. Gut says they will keep an eye on how Sony's Spidey animation behaves before they do DC animations at a big scale,

You know what would be epic for WAG? Potter. Spielberg wanted to make Potter with animation as the medium when WB approached him, before Dreamworks did Shrek.

If WAG remakes those 7 books with high-quality animation that would be something.

Hi! Newbie here:

On the Potter front, I'd say, well:

Eh...in a property that's supposed to have an element of dark realism to it I don't think that would look very good.

Rowling explained she turned people who wanted to "cartoon-ify" Potter down, and I think she was right to do that. 

Maybe another Wizarding World property could be animated, but in a series that skews older and darker relative to other four quadrant franchises today, most from Disney, I don't think animation would be very good for the franchise. 

It would cheapen it, lessen the emotional and dramatic elements, which would be really bad for the story, and I've gotta say, the marketing crisis that would arise from people thinking dark and violent films about death were intended for little kids because they had an animated counterpart would be a nightmare.

People have already turned Harry into some sort of absurdly geeky, childish cartoon figure who always wears striped scarves and looks like he's 7, and that's totally incongruent to how he is in the story. How he even looks. The whole POINT of the coming of age genre and the "Wizarding World" aesthetic. I shudder to think what the media and the cultural elitists would try to paint Harry Potter as if it were literally cartoonified.

In a Bildungsroman, a long one, animation would cheapen the experience and I don't think there's a market for that, and I know Rowling wouldn't like that.

DC is a superhero franchise, it has more younger skewing marketing and merchandising on average and already has cartoon property in DC Super hero girls and tons of animated series and films, including a Lego movie tie in. That's going to and should happen in animation before anything happens with The Wizarding World.

If Wizarding World's last film is anything to go by, it's that the predominant fan base of the brand has been 15-30 year old females for a while. 65% of the audience for Beasts was 25+! And Grace Randolph, YouTube star, made some very good observations: it seems parents are rather wary of the Potter property when it comes to young kids, and many consider it to dark and heavy and scary. In a brand like D.C., Marvel, or Star Wars, which have much bigger elements of their brand aiming at appealing to little boys, it might work. In a franchise like Wizarding World, I don't think there's ANY money there. At least not anymore. Too literary and cerebral for that. Methinks.

Edited by Broadwayfreak66
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, baumer said:

Saying Apes is doing poorly doesn't mean Spidey is doing well.  

No, but it could be setting July expectations for well-reviewed movies...it was like everyone saying in its 1st 2 weeks how horrible Pirates 5 did DOM...when really, it just set the trend for enormous summer DOM drops for most aging franchises...and now people say Pirates didn't do too bad, compared to all the rest...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Broadwayfreak66 said:

Hi! Newbie here:

On the Potter front, I'd say, well:

Eh...in a property that's supposed to have an element of dark realism to it I don't think that would look very good.

Rowling explained she turned people who wanted to "cartoon-ify" Potter down, and I think she was right to do that. 

Maybe another Wizarding World property could be animated, but in a series that skews older and darker relative to other four quadrant franchises today, most from Disney, I don't think animation would be very good for the franchise. 

It would cheapen it, lessen the emotional and dramatic elements, which would be really bad for the story, and I've gotta say, the marketing crisis that would arise from people thinking dark and violent films about death were intended for little kids because they had an animated counterpart would be a nightmare.

People have already turned Harry into some sort of absurdly geeky, childish cartoon figure who always wears striped scars and looks like he's 7, and that's totally incongruent to how he is in the story. How he even looks. The whole POINT of the coming of age genre and the "Wizarding World" aesthetic. I shudder to think what the media and the cultural elitists would try to paint Harry Potter as if it were literally cartoonified.

In a Bildungsroman, a long one, animation would cheapen the experience and I don't think there's a market for that, and I know Rowling wouldn't like that.

DC is a superhero franchise, it has more younger skewing marketing and merchandising on average and already has cartoon property in DC Super hero girls and tons of animated series and films, including a Lego movie tie in. That's going to and should happen in animation before anything happens with The Wizarding World.

If Wizarding World's last film is anything to go by, it's that the predominant fan base of the brand has been 15-30 year old females for a while. 65% of the audience for Beasts was 25+! And Grace Randolph, YouTube star, made some very good observations: it seems parents are rather wary of the Potter property when it comes to young kids, and many consider it to dark and heavy and scary. In a brand like D.C., Marvel, or Star Wars, which have much bigger elements of their brand aiming at appealing to little boys, it might work. In a franchise like Wizarding World, I don't think there's ANY money there. At least not anymore. Too literary and cerebral for that. Methinks.

...DCasey?