CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

The article says Mary Magdalene is probably too controversial to go anywhere, which is something I've felt for months. Box office wise, there's zero chance it goes wide, and I'm sure there'd be many boycotts :lol: 

It'll be nice to know nothing has changed since The Last Temptation of Christ

• Haha 1

I've been pretty indifferent towards DM3's run, but now that it's having good holds, I want it to collapse. You can threadban me for being too negative, but DM3 is one of the most vile films I've seen this year. It's not interesting in the slightest, nor is it that cringeworthy. It feels like 2 hours despite being under 90 minutes. No movie this year, not even King Arthur (which I gave a worse rating than DM3 FWIW), left me as bored in the theater as DM3 did. It's unimaginative filmmaking that does not deserve nearly 1B WW. And don't use the "kids like it, so it's fine!" excuse on me. That promotes lazy filmmaking. Take an auteur like Wes Anderson or Charlie Kaufman. Both of these prestigious filmmakers have made animated films (the former's next one is stop motion as well) like Fantastic Mr Fox and Anomalisa to widespread acclaim. The box office returns weren't there because of weak marketing, but the former proves you can have stylized family films (the latter has puppet sex so let's not call it a family film :lol: ). Lazy filmmaking does not deserve high returns. Plain and simple.

in my opinion

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 7
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I've been pretty indifferent towards DM3's run, but now that it's having good holds, I want it to collapse. You can threadban me for being too negative, but DM3 is one of the most vile films I've seen this year. It's not interesting in the slightest, nor is it that cringeworthy. It feels like 2 hours despite being under 90 minutes. No movie this year, not even King Arthur (which I gave a worse rating than DM3 FWIW), left me as bored in the theater as DM3 did. It's unimaginative filmmaking that does not deserve nearly 1B WW. And don't use the "kids like it, so it's fine!" excuse on me. That promotes lazy filmmaking. Take an auteur like Wes Anderson or Charlie Kaufman. Both of these prestigious filmmakers have made animated films (the former's next one is stop motion as well) like Fantastic Mr Fox and Anomalisa to widespread acclaim. The box office returns weren't there because of weak marketing, but the former proves you can have stylized family films (the latter has puppet sex so let's not call it a family film :lol: ). Lazy filmmaking does not deserve high returns. Plain and simple.

in my opinion

Casual poster trying to throw people off the casual scent

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

in my opinion

I get the sentiment but I'd rather be celebrating the success of Baby Driver and Dunkirk (and even WftPotA as disappointing as it's run may appear to be) than sitting around bitching about the success of Spiderman (don't wanna use DM3 as an example because I haven't seen it but I'm sure I'd agree with you)

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

I get the sentiment but I'd rather be celebrating the success of Baby Driver and Dunkirk (and even WftPotA as disappointing as it's run may appear to be) than sitting around bitching about the success of Spiderman (don't wanna use DM3 as an example because I haven't seen it but I'm sure I'd agree with you)

Nobody is really acknowledging Baby Driver because of the new releases and funny book films unfortunately. It feels like barely anyone is talking about it on here.

• Community Manager
11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

in my opinion

But kids like it so it's fine.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It'll be nice to know nothing has changed since The Last Temptation of Christ

Well there was terrorist attacks on some theater that played the movie I think and manifestation try to force the studio to cancel the production, if there is just boycott this time it would be a nice progression. (But The Last Temptation of Christ was going much more far controversy wise than Jesus having a love life and childs, that the myth of Jesus has known today is mostly a creation of Paul, mostly lies with Jesus disagreeing with it)

• Community Manager
Just now, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

If Norm of the North were a massive success and made nearly $1B worldwide, would everyone still be using the same "It's made for kids!" excuse?

Why not? It was made for kids after all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Nobody is really acknowledging Baby Driver because of the new releases and funny book films unfortunately. It feels like barely anyone is talking about it on here.

It's box office run has been steadily impressive week in and week out. Yeah people have been caught up in the flashy numbers WW is putting up but I would hardly say people aren't acknowledging it.