CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

14 minutes ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

Interstellar is top 4 Nolan (would be able to say top 3 yesterday but I saw Dunkirk, so I guess I'll just say it's upper tier Nolan).

He has three that are much less flawed than the rest: Prestige, Memento, Dunkirk. Inception and Interstellar are a couple steps below those three due to the dialogue and length issues. 

I'm sure all of this has been said already...but just a quick recap....and in no particular order:

Dunkirk's gross is truly awesome...both domestic and internationally.  This was never advertised with any stars and basically on Nolan's name alone, it took in more than 100 million this weekend.  Quite the performance.  I'm sure the legs will be strong in NA and it might have a chance to do 200.  

Girl's Trip pretty much blew by everyone's expectations.  In the summer game, only two people had this in their top 15.  The wom looks to be very solid and with no real comedies in the market place right now and an audience that is bound to expand in the weeks to come, this could make a run at 100 million.

Spidey had another big fall, just over 50%.  It will probably end with 300 and that's great.  The numbers after the first day haven't been.

Apes falls north of 60% and at least for me, I understand why.  Internationally it's not doing well either.

Valerian was a tough sell to begin with and with the budget being an albatross, the 17 ill it did this weekend is not going to assuage the grief that investors must be feeling right now.

The story of the summer, or at least one of them, is DM3.  It's doing respectable numbers in NA and will probably end just shy of 265 but internationally it's absolutely killing it.  It's at 721 million and is well on it's way to clearing 900 million.  Illumination spent 80 million to produce it.  

Wonder Woman is now the king/queen of the summer and it will easily pass 403 million giving @Emperor Tele-Limai a successful club.

Transformers is going to finish with less than 600 million WW.

Baby Driver will make a push for 100M domestic and is doing well overseas. 

Wish Upon is a non factor.

47 Metres Down has had a very nice run.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

DM3 is going to drop a minimum of 45% next weekend with Emoji coming out, and a drop in the 50s isn't off the table.

No it won't....and really, who cares?  It's a monster success and it still has an outside shot at a billion.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

No it won't....and really, who cares?  It's a monster success and it still has an outside shot at a billion.

When is the last time an animated film dropped less than 45% against another animated film? CU dropped 41% against Cars 3, but it had Fathers Day. You have to go all the way back to IO in 2015, and that even dropped 40% against Minions. It isn't going to hit 265M

When is the last time an animated film dropped less than 45% against another animated film? CU dropped 41% against Cars 3, but it had Fathers Day. You have to go all the way back to IO in 2015, and that even dropped 40% against Minions. It isn't going to hit 265M

Inside Out dropped 40% against Minions.  SLOP fell 41% against Ice Age, Dory fell 36% the same weekend.

The further into the run, the less it drops.  This will be DM3's 5th weekend.....and Emoji isn't exactly a film with pedigree.

It has a good chance at hitting 260.  

2 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Inside Out dropped 40% against Minions.  SLOP fell 41% against Ice Age, Dory fell 36% the same weekend.

The further into the run, the less it drops.  This will be DM3's 5th weekend.....and Emoji isn't exactly a film with pedigree.

SLOP was ahead of Ice Age on its OW. DM3 will be in single digits next weekend. There's a big difference.

SLOP was ahead of Ice Age on its OW. DM3 will be in single digits next weekend. There's a big difference.

Nice...so you ask me to name a time when a film less than 45% against another animated opener....I gave you three instances....now there's an excuse for those three times?

Suit yourself.  Believe what you will.  I don't really care what it ends up with...250-260-265-270.  It's having a monster run internationally and 900 is locked.  Poor DM3.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

I am hoping DM3 cuts into Emoji's Business and has a sub 40% drop.  I think it can happen and I will def show it in my derby (unless it goes under 3000 theaters)

I'm far from the derby player you are, but if I were to play the derby this weekend, I too would take it under 40% drop.

1 hour ago, Rth Homecoming said:

AMC Lincoln square NYC (Even Empire 25+E-walk doesn't beat it) and BFI Imax Southbank London are two highest grosses in the world , BFI Imax would be #1 with only Lincoln Square Imax Gross

Domestic the top 20 Locations all  feature Imax or 70mm (the #2 is 70mm) , in a nutshell pretty much any theatre running multiple formats the bulk of BO is Imax/70mm sessions

is the Irvine Spectrum 70MM IMAX going to pass 200K for the weekend?

Just now, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I'm far from the derby player you are, but if I were to play the derby this weekend, I too would take it under 40% drop.

what are you expecting for Emoji OW?  I am hoping it gets under 20M.  I have not rooted for a movie to fail in 15 years.  I am happy for all movies to succeed (almost)

• Like 1

DM3 does not deserve the success it's having. It is mind numbingly boring and lazy.

Deserves got nothing to do with it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

what are you expecting for Emoji OW?  I am hoping it gets under 20M.  I have not rooted for a movie to fail in 15 years.  I am happy for all movies to succeed (almost)

I just don't see there being much interest in a movie that has a shit emoji.  I'm thinking under 20 million as well.

• Haha 1