MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Speak about whatever you want and others will speak about whatever they want.

Not a hard concept to grasp.

That's not my point. Both SMH and WW have certain users who obsess over their runs and quickly turn the conversation about them. Whether it's about how SMH is having "shit legs" or how WW is having such an amazing run, it's the same. Exact. Shit. Nobody is bringing interesting takes to the table, and they're a chore to scroll through. It's hard to start up a conversation about other movies when their numbers are out. Most of the last 6-8 pages have been about these two movies. It's really annoying.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

How much does a shitty ASM3 movie make with Iron Man crammed in there?

If he appeared in Civil War?  Probably the same amount. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Which will be over-predicted more Thor: Ragnarok or JL?

Thor.

I am thinking $300M can happen but that's its ceiling.

My predictions are:

Thor: $115M/$300M/$750M

JL: $170M/$445M/$1.1B

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Kinda hope that Emoji's DOM total is smaller than that of Storks or Captain Underpants. I mean, c'mon universe, make that happen.

Also hoping that Annabelle II, which comes out 2 weeks from now, doesn't fall too behind from the original's OW and then it should have easily stronger legs, even though it's a sequel... apparently it's a fun and fast paced movie, contrary to the dull and boring original.

It'd be hilarious if THE NUT JOB 2: NUTTY BY NATURE made it fall over 60% :lol: 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Thor.

I am thinking $300M can happen but that's its ceiling.

My predictions are:

Thor: $115M/$300M/$750M

JL: $170M/$445M/$1.1B

I actually don't really see how $300M is possible with Justice League two weeks away. TDW did $206M which had Catching Fire in its 2nd Weekend

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Speak about whatever you want and others will speak about whatever they want.

Not a hard concept to grasp.

Fair enough, but do you people not get bored of talking about the same fucking thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over........ and over............. and OVER again? Every single day - "SMH did great!"; "SMH did okay"; "SMH did awful!"; "SMH did okay!"; "SMH did great!"..... it gets seriously irritating, almost as annoying as any Marvel vs. DC fandom fights, really.

6 minutes ago, a2knet said:

This is how that conversation will flow...

Baby Driver => Edgar Wright => Ant-Man fiasco => Marvel => Spider-Man => good/meh/decent/great?

:rofl:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I'll stick up for you a bit here, before criticizing you just a bit. :)

The legs for SMH are not bad at all.  The weekend drops are huge so far but the weekday numbers make up for it.  Naturally, weekend drops could be higher in the summer because more people can see it during the week.  It makes sense that a film released in May, when schools are in, is going to have stronger holds in the first couple of weekends because it's the best time for people to see it.  But when a film comes out in the summer, people have more time so they can see whenever.  So the first two weekends for sMH look like big drops but when you factor in the weekdays, the numbers are really quite decent.  

2.6X is better than Civil War and Avengers Ultron and if it does get to 2.7, that's a pretty good multiplier when comparing it to some other MCU films.  So the performance is actually pretty decent.

I think where the backlash comes from is that there is a small group of loonies here, and you can be included in this group as well, who at the beginning, claimed that this was the best Spider-man EVAH!! These same people went on to say that Raimi's films were shit and this captured the true meaning of Spiderman and blah blah blah...and then those same people went on to say that the legs on this would probably get it to 400.

Now that's it's performing like a typical sequel with average WOM, those of us who didn't think it was anything special, are now pointing out that your pom-pom waving and chest beating about SMH was all for not.  Karma so to speak....she's a bitch.

But overall, it's doing well and it's going to finish north of 300, and that's a great way to kick off the MCU Spider-man.

:)

Common sense is a bannable offense.

After carefully analyzing the situation with the other moderators, we have decided that you get this:

PossibleDeadBluetickcoonhound.gif
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I'll stick up for you a bit here, before criticizing you just a bit. :)

The legs for SMH are not bad at all.  The weekend drops are huge so far but the weekday numbers make up for it.  Naturally, weekend drops could be higher in the summer because more people can see it during the week.  It makes sense that a film released in May, when schools are in, is going to have stronger holds in the first couple of weekends because it's the best time for people to see it.  But when a film comes out in the summer, people have more time so they can see whenever.  So the first two weekends for sMH look like big drops but when you factor in the weekdays, the numbers are really quite decent.  

2.6X is better than Civil War and Avengers Ultron and if it does get to 2.7, that's a pretty good multiplier when comparing it to some other MCU films.  So the performance is actually pretty decent.

I think where the backlash comes from is that there is a small group of loonies here, and you can be included in this group as well, who at the beginning, claimed that this was the best Spider-man EVAH!! These same people went on to say that Raimi's films were shit and this captured the true meaning of Spiderman and blah blah blah...and then those same people went on to say that the legs on this would probably get it to 400.

Now that's it's performing like a typical sequel with average WOM, those of us who didn't think it was anything special, are now pointing out that your pom-pom waving and chest beating about SMH was all for not.  Karma so to speak....she's a bitch.

But overall, it's doing well and it's going to finish north of 300, and that's a great way to kick off the MCU Spider-man.

:)

This could easily turn into a chicken-egg argument since people were rooting for and against SMH long before anyone saw the movie.

The main conflict was "does frontloadedness indicate an average movie". I said there are other variables involved.

There are plenty of people who looooove GotG2 and think it's better than GotG1. Are those people wrong because GotG2 is more frontloaded?

I say no.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Fair enough, but do you people not get bored of talking about the same fucking thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over........ and over............. and OVER again?

Nope. :P 

• Like 1

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I actually don't really see how $300M is possible with Justice League two weeks away. TDW did $206M which had Catching Fire in its 2nd Weekend

Still it rebounded Thanksgiving thanks to Frozen double features like it'll do with Coco. Not to mention it's WOM was arguably tepid and never got the chance to stabilize. Also with Veterans Day on Saturday in its second weekend it can have a nice second weekend drop. A 2.6-3x multiple is common for big November movies. However there's a lot of holiday films for December though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Despicable Me 3 should end up as the highest grossing film worldwide of the summer. Chances that its overall gross will beat Cars 3 and Coco combined?

Not should...but it's a mathematical certainty.

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Emoji Movie's numbers kinda make it feel like lost potential. Probably would've done $35M+ given the total lack of family competition if the reviews hadn't been so damn toxic (or at least around Boss Baby level).

Smurfs was in the same situation in 2011, did $34m OW and end up doing decently due to the lack of competition. I don't think Emoji will be so lucky. I wonder how big the drop will be next weekend 

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It'd be hilarious if THE NUT JOB 2: NUTTY BY NATURE made it fall over 60% :lol: 

It wouldn't surprise me, many crappy animated films have their legs hit when another animated film arrives 

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I just realized Cars 3 might be Pixar's second flop.

The merchandise money will cushion the blow. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

1- You guys keep pointing put how weak SMH's performance is when it has the same legs of GotG2 and Logan. So, yeah. There's definitely some bias going on.

2- Kids love GotG2 and it got positive reviews. I'm not sure why the 6th Spider-man movie that followed the most hated Spider-man movie in history needed to make over 350 m or get Avengers legs to prove its a major success for Sony and Marvel Studios.

A Spider-man reboot soon after ASM2 was not locked to do 200+ m.

3- Iron Man isn't as popular domestically as people think in here seem to think it is. The fact the characters over involvement was one of the biggest critiques of the marketing and that he is the character people want/expect to die in Avengers is a bit of a clue

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

This could easily turn into a chicken-egg argument since people were rooting for and against SMH long before anyone saw the movie.

The main conflict was "does frontloadedness indicate an average movie". I said there are other variables involved.

There are plenty of people who looooove GotG2 and think it's better than GotG1. Are those people wrong because of GotG2 is more frontloaded?

I say no.

Cool.  

I extended an olive branch to you and you not only didn't accept it, you lit it on fire and threw in on the ground.

You're too emotionally invested in this and you're not thinking straight.  Enjoy the fight.  It's all you do now anyway.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That's not my point. Both SMH and WW have certain users who obsess over their runs and quickly turn the conversation about them. Whether it's about how SMH is having "shit legs" or how WW is having such an amazing run, it's the same. Exact. Shit. Nobody is bringing interesting takes to the table, and they're a chore to scroll through. It's hard to start up a conversation about other movies when their numbers are out. Most of the last 6-8 pages have been about these two movies. It's really annoying.

Instead of tone-policing, get going on the conversations you want.

I guess the only people actually qualified to tone-police here are the mods.

Carry on; I don't see how it is "hard" to start a conversation about something else. Just start it, and people who are interested in it will quote you and enagage you.

• Like 1