MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

7 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Yeah I know it seems really hard for you to not resort to simplistic reasoning.

Ok screw you then.

I'll just say what I want.

Raimi fans have attacked SMH plenty and I'm not going to pretend they're not to spare your feelings (since you want to throw insults).

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Not be the bearer of doom since we know Cinemascore's don't mean shit, it had a B which is lower than most animated films and almost Norm of The North level (B-).

Yes, but it still has super duper cheap tickets, originality for both genders in a sea of bad animated sequels this summer, and kid-oriented and current material with the normal sweet story...

As I'm always saying, timing (breath of fresh air not seen since March and nothing else calling for family money this month) and circumstance (family wasteland and cheap tickets) matter...a lot!

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Every superhero movie, other than WW, got around 2.6 legs.

I'm not sure why people are attacking SMH.

1-They are not "attacking"; the are expressing their opinions about the film's box office run. In fact, I had not read a single post here trashing the film's quality. 

2- Did every other superhero film star Marvel's all-time most popular character in a film set in the current king of interconnected universes and were they marketed as if  they costarred the current superhero king of the MCU box office? Did they also get deliriously positive reviews and reports of fantastic word of mouth and family-friendliness? Maybe that's why some people might feel that SMH is not exactly doing what it should have done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Another Homecoming debate that lasts for 5+ pages. SMH. Let's talk about Emoji and SPA, or Atomic Blonde, or something else.

OK:

The Emoji Movie is a great family film that will become a leggy crowdpleaser and Dunkirk is overrated. :P 

Go!

• Like 1

WONDR could do 830 ww (415 + 415)...if SMH disappoints in China (compared to SM's and IM's pedigree, 90-100 would be disappointing imo) and WONDR does better than expected in Japan, it could pip SMH globally. Especially if an expansion, re-release or something takes WONDR to 420 dom.

Though if SMH shows good legs Dom and does 315-320, it could cancel some of WONDR's effect.

Edited by a2knet

Ehem...

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. SPIDER-MAN IS DOING GOOD. IT'S NO SAM RAIMI '02 HIT, IT'S NO WONDER WOMAN, BUT IT'S DOING WELL. IT'S GONNA DO 300M+ AND THAT'S PERFECTLY OKAY, EVEN IF UNDER SOME PEOPLE'S EXPECTATIONS.

FUCK. Damn. Maria. Can we move on from that debate, for the love of Satan-Cocksucking Jesus Wannabe, please?

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The Emoji Movie's numbers kinda make it feel like lost potential. Probably would've done $35M+ given the total lack of family competition if the reviews hadn't been so damn toxic (or at least around Boss Baby level).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

1-They are not "attacking"; the are expressing their opinions about the film's box office run. In fact, I had not read a single post here trashing the film's quality. 

2- Did every other superhero film star Marvel's all-time most popular character in a film set in the current king of interconnected universes and were they marketed as if  they costarred the current superhero king of the MCU box office? Did they also get deliriously positive reviews and reports of fantastic word of mouth and family-friendliness? Maybe that's why some people might feel that SMH is not exactly doing what it should have done. 

You just described Civil War last year...if you are happy with its legs, you should be over the moon with Spidey's:)...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Another Homecoming debate that lasts for 5+ pages. SMH. Let's talk about Emoji and SPA, or Atomic Blonde, or something else.

Okay,

Sexy lesbians kissing is kewl because it has universal appeal.

Emoji is successful but not enough to defy Tomato Law.

And I'm not sure what SPA is.

There you go. The thread is saved. Might even hit 60 pages.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

The Emoji Movie's numbers kinda make it feel like lost potential. Probably would've done $35M+ given the total lack of family competition if the reviews hadn't been so damn toxic (or at least around Boss Baby level).

Yeah, I expected Boss Baby reviews and performance pre-summer...so, without the reviews, we'll have to see where it goes since August is still a family wasteland...

Can I wake up one morning and NOT have to read bullshit about funny book runs? You guys are actively making something I want to follow a pain in the ass to read with arguments about legs and the Raimi films. Talk about Dunkirk, the new releases, Girls Trip, Baby Driver, Valerian (even tho some of you think it's the antichrist), Apes, Detroit, hell, even DM3. How about that Big Sick hold of low-30s? There are other movies than SMH and WW out right now.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah, I expected Boss Baby reviews and performance pre-summer...so, without the reviews, we'll have to see where it goes since August is still a family wasteland...

Image result for the nut job 2

...Winter is coming.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

1- You guys keep pointing put how weak SMH's performance is when it has the same legs of GotG2 and Logan. So, yeah. There's definitely some bias going on.

2- Kids love GotG2 and it got positive reviews. I'm not sure why the 6th Spider-man movie that followed the most hated Spider-man movie in history needed to make over 350 m or get Avengers legs to prove its a major success for Sony and Marvel Studios.

A Spider-man reboot soon after ASM2 was not locked to do 200+ m.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Okay,

Sexy lesbians kissing is kewl because it has universal appeal.

Emoji is successful but not enough to defy Tomato Law.

And I'm not sure what SPA is.

There you go. The thread is saved. Might even hit 60 pages.

I'll stick up for you a bit here, before criticizing you just a bit. :)

The legs for SMH are not bad at all.  The weekend drops are huge so far but the weekday numbers make up for it.  Naturally, weekend drops could be higher in the summer because more people can see it during the week.  It makes sense that a film released in May, when schools are in, is going to have stronger holds in the first couple of weekends because it's the best time for people to see it.  But when a film comes out in the summer, people have more time so they can see whenever.  So the first two weekends for sMH look like big drops but when you factor in the weekdays, the numbers are really quite decent.  

2.6X is better than Civil War and Avengers Ultron and if it does get to 2.7, that's a pretty good multiplier when comparing it to some other MCU films.  So the performance is actually pretty decent.

I think where the backlash comes from is that there is a small group of loonies here, and you can be included in this group as well, who at the beginning, claimed that this was the best Spider-man EVAH!! These same people went on to say that Raimi's films were shit and this captured the true meaning of Spiderman and blah blah blah...and then those same people went on to say that the legs on this would probably get it to 400.

Now that's it's performing like a typical sequel with average WOM, those of us who didn't think it was anything special, are now pointing out that your pom-pom waving and chest beating about SMH was all for not.  Karma so to speak....she's a bitch.

But overall, it's doing well and it's going to finish north of 300, and that's a great way to kick off the MCU Spider-man.

:)

• Like 4