baumer

Top 25 films of 1997 (Countdown will begin Sunday Nov. 26th at Noon EST 9AM PST)

Leila is very good. If you like A Separation watch this one. I wish it received Criterion treatment, it certainly could use one.

The Mirror is a fun/cute movie. Something happens in the middle of the movie that totally catch you by surprise; I can imagine the actress’ mother being pissed as hell at the film crew. 

Both are making my top 15. 

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Hey guys.

I'm going to set a date to get your top 25 in by November 20th.  This will give us time to get everything done before December.  

• Like 3

1) Batman & Robin 

2) Batman & Robin 

3) Batman & Robin 

4) Batman & Robin 

5) Batman & Robin 

6) Batman & Robin 

7) Batman & Robin 

8) Batman & Robin 

9) Batman & Robin 

10) Batman & Robin 

11) Batman & Robin 

12) Batman & Robin 

13) Batman & Robin 

14) Batman & Robin 

15) Batman & Robin 

16) Batman & Robin 

17) Batman & Robin 

18) Batman & Robin 

19) Batman & Robin 

20) Batman & Robin

21) Batman & Robin

22) Batman & Robin

23) Batman & Robin

24) Batman & Robin

24) Batman & Robin

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Breakdown: strong execution far outweighs the generic plot. Kurt Russell is very good. Fun movie. 8/10

Taste of Cherry: it’s all right, but it drags a lot. Certified Copy is a masterpiece so this was a big disappointment. 5/10

Career Girls: the flashbacks where the two young women bahave like aliens under human skin hurts the movie a lot. Their adult counterparts were more sane and made the movie tolerable and sometimes good. 6/10

Lost Highway: David Lynch fuck off. 4/10

Donnie Brasco: I’m super over gangster/mobster/undercover agent movies, so that might explain why I was so bored. 4/10

Lawn Dogs: rich bad and immoral, poor unmalicious and oppressed. Also can’t stand when kids threaten their perfectly good parents, which of course the movie can’t help itself but view them as bad stereotypes. 1/10

Open Your Eyes: Fantastic. Cruz best performance for sure. 9/10

Gattaca: Oh look, a metaphor!! 4/10

The Castle: Was so rooting for the “evil” company. 0/10

Romy and Michelle: Got a few laughs from me in the beginning, but once they began their trip and had their petty fight, the whole movie instantly materialized in mind, beat by beat, becoming one of those very bad, predictable, preachy and not funny at all comedy of the 90s. Kudron is a terrible actress. 3/10

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

Sci-fi that fabricates these dumb dystopian realities to say something are not my thing. Plus the fact Gattaca spends most of its time with the ‘will Ethan Hawke get caught’ boringness.

Edited by Goffe

1 week remaining!!!

last minute cram for those top 25 guarantees.  Here are 37 films.  I need to watch at least seven of these. Which seven would be most list-worthy?

Liar Liar, Eve's Bayou, Full Monty, LA Confidential, Kundun, Rainmaker, ConAir, Chasing Amy, Flubber, In and out, Hercules, My Best Friends Wedding, Donnie Brasco, Hard Eight, Absolute Power, Kiss the Girls, The Game, G.I. Jane, Seven Years in Tibet, Gridlock'd, Hoodlum, Rosewood, Metro, Soul Food, Money Talks, Nothing to Lose, Private Parts, Selena, The Devil's Own, Spawn, Mad City, Gang Related, Midnight in the Garden..., Def Jams..., Addicted to Love, Grosse Point Blank, Werewolf in Paris.

Edited by Matrix4You

3 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

1 week remaining!!!

last minute cram for those top 25 guarantees.  Here are 37 films.  I need to watch at least seven of these. Which seven would be most list-worthy?

Liar Liar, Eve's Bayou, Full Monty, LA Confidential, Kundun, Rainmaker, ConAir, Chasing Amy, Flubber, In and out, Hercules, My Best Friends Wedding, Donnie Brasco, Hard Eight, Absolute Power, Kiss the Girls, The Game, G.I. Jane, Seven Years in Tibet, Gridlock'd, Hoodlum, Rosewood, Metro, Soul Food, Money Talks, Nothing to Lose, Private Parts, Selena, The Devil's Own, Spawn, Mad City, Gang Related, Midnight in the Garden..., Def Jams..., Addicted to Love, Grosse Point Blank, Werewolf in Paris.

from these, LA Confidential and Eve's Bayou.

• Like 1

4 movies I still need to see, but I’m 90% sure this list won’t change.

1. Open Your Eyes
2. The Rainmaker
3. Jackie Brown
4. Mononoke
5. Sweet Hereafter
6. Titanic
7. Breakdown
8. Wings of the Dove
9. Live Flesh
10. In the Company of Men
11. Boogie Nights
12. Scream 2
13. Kundun
14. Leila
15. Starship Troopers
16. Mr. Jealousy 
17. The Mirror
18. Insomnia
19. Bent

While we’re at it, the worst of 1997.

0/10
1 Good Will Hunting
2 The Fifth Element 

1/10
3 The Castle
4 The Batman Superman Movie: World’s Finest
5 Chasing Amy
6 In & Out

2/10
7 Batman and Robin
8 Lawn Dogs

3/10
9 Life is Beautiful
10 Mousehunt 
11 Gattaca 
12 Romy and Michelle
13 Alien 4 

4/10
14 Mimic 
15 Lost Highway
16 Welcome to Saravejo
17 Cube
18 Donnie Brasco

Overall, it was a better year than 1987.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/james-camerons-titanic-lands-20th-anniversary-release-theaters-1058456

James Cameron's 'Titanic' Lands 20th Anniversary Rerelease in Theaters

The classic film will be shown in AMC Theatres equipped with Dolby Cinema.

James Cameron's Titanic will be released in select AMC Theatres to celebrate its 20-year anniversary, Dolby Laboratories announced Wednesday in partnership with Paramount Pictures and 20th Century Fox.

The Oscar-winning movie — starring Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio — will play in 87 theaters equipped with Dolby Cinema for an exclusive one-week run, beginning Dec. 1. It will be shown in both 2D and 3D.

Titanic, which first sailed into theaters Dec. 19, 1997, remains the No. 2 top-grossing film of all time ($2.19 billion) behind Cameron's Avatar, not accounting for inflation.

"We mastered a few minutes of Titanic in Dolby Vision and I was stunned. It was like seeing it for the first time. Now that the entire film as been mastered, I'm excited to share it with audiences across the U.S.," Cameron said in a statement. "This is beyond 3D, beyond 70mm, it's beyond anything you've ever seen before."

Added Dolby senior vp Doug Darrow: "Our partnership with James and Paramount has enabled us to showcase a masterpiece of theater in the most incredible way."

Tickets go on sale Nov. 15.