baumer

Top 25 films of 1997 (Countdown will begin Sunday Nov. 26th at Noon EST 9AM PST)

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Hard Eight:

USA 20 January 1996

(Sundance Film Festival)

Cube:

Canada 9 September 1997 (Toronto International Film Festival)

I don't understand the problem.

Cube's first non festival release was the Netherlands in July 1998 and then it opened in the  US on Sept 11 1998

Hard Eight was a 1997 theatrical release - first territory was

USA 28 February 1997  
Or are we supposed to be looking at festival releases?
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I just think checking both festival and theatrical releases is too much of a needless headache for 1997 just as it would have been for 1987. A movie is from the year when it first premiered anywhere.

that's stupid to me. festival plays aren't real releases.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

that's stupid to me. festival plays aren't real releases.

Sure but the movie's finished and was shown to an audience. In the end, the problem is that the year of commercial release is obviously the one to go with when ranking recent/new movies, but it becomes less and less relevant the further you go back in time, especially with non-US releases. Tele proposed 2000 as a cutoff point for this in a previous thread, and it seems as good as any. Maybe we can pick another one. 

• Like 1

so far, I have rewatched: 

The Relic

A Devil's Advocate

Breakdown

Boogie Nights (first time)

Good Will Hunting

and I'd rank them as follows

Good Will Hunting

Boogie Nights

A Devil's Advocate

Breakdown

The Relic

Just finished Good Will Hunting.  LOL, I loved that.  It might make it as my favorite of 1997.  I love talking open psychologically, and it repels people away too!!  I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. 

A Devil's Advocate and The Relic I recommend as a back to back.  I enjoyed them very much that way.  They are two big city films.  One in Chicago, one in NY.  Devil's has some heady dialogue and Relic is a B-flick with a tad of anthro-whatever dialogue.  - Enjoy!

saw Jackie Brown for the first time - loved it!

saw Conspiracy Theory for the first time - mehh.  Another one to fall below Batman and Robin for me.  My goal is to discover enough films to boot Batman and Robin out of my top 25 (of 1997).  It will not be easy.  Spider-Man 3 was my #2 of 2007.

Edited by Matrix4You
  • Like 3

Okay guys...I think we have given enough time to allow people to see as many as they can.  Let's aim for the middle of November for the due date.  This will give you all another 6 weeks to watch a few movies and then submit your list so we can get it out by the end of November.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Okay guys...I think we have given enough time to allow people to see as many as they can.  Let's aim for the middle of November for the due date.  This will give you all another 6 weeks to watch a few movies and then submit your list so we can get it out by the end of November.

I feel so old having watched almost all of these movies in theaters during their initial run. Where’s that Matrix tech where information is downloaded directly into your brain? It would speed up almost everything.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I think end of October should be enough if we want to squeeze in another year.  Do we want (or can we) squeeze in another year?

I watched Gattaca for the first time.  It was fine and Jude Law was great.  But I think they could have done more with the very promising premise and Ethan Hawke continues to bore the fuck out of me as an actor (

Spoiler

and no one would mistake him for Jude Law - ever

).

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1