baumer

Top 25 films of 1997 (Countdown will begin Sunday Nov. 26th at Noon EST 9AM PST)

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Spielberg made a movie that starts with a Tin and ends with tin and is very bad

A failed experiment in staying true to the comic books and at the same time using modern day tech. Interesting to watch. But a fail nevertheless.

Live Flesh: I'm a little ashamed to say, but this is my first Almodóvar, and all I can think of is why I haven't seen his films before? He commands the screen like a fucking master. Live Flesh is a well-executed melodrama with top notch l performances, stunning imagery and someone behind the camera who knows what he's doing. Also happy to hear this is Almodóvar at his most restrained. Greatest butt shot in cinema history. 8/10

FYC

Poster+12+-+Carne+Tremula+2.bmp

Edited by Goffe

On 9/9/2017 at 3:54 PM, Jay Hollywood said:

The Trailer set piece is best action set piece in ANY Jurassic Park movie. its  a better set piece than any new blockbusters since Fury Road.

Honestly that scene has some of the best directing . Its jaw dropping. make my top 10 set pieces of all time. Its 13 minutes. 13 minutes of non stop tension. Its a master class in filmmaking and directing.... Maybe not scripting or the story people wanted. But from a craft start point its fantastic. 

Each action beat in the this set piece revolve around actually goals too. No random fighting, the tension doesn't come from being cool, it comes from constant time bombs going off at once in the scene.  Not only is the rope falling loose but the glass breaking and the truck going off the edge and he has to tow the trailer, and the rope falls again, and the T-rex is coming back, theres even more than that. its non stop. 

Im sorry i know you guys say it sucks, but again if this is bad filming LOL. Imagine any other director shooting this scene. When I'm watching a movie I can see all the TERRIBLE or normal ways most people would handle and cut this sequence. 

Heres a 2 min clip  - Directing class. just look the 3rd  shot in the clip. Its 3 shots, 3 shots in one. 99% of directors would cover that with 3 angles or if they did a oner it would feel it, it would be flashy. The Bergs direction is sooooooo good you don't even notice. Its so natural every cut and and every shot is on point, dynamic. 

this clip is maybe even the weakest part of the set piece. Its legit like 5- 6 action beats on top of one another.  We have the Glass, The T-rex attack twice, Eddie has to set up the rope around the tree first, and so forth.  Honestly this clip doesn't even show the best shots of this scene....

Dat Score too its all amazing love 2:26 not on the sound track :(

Eddie deserved better compared to the three incompetent buffoons who get to survive the film

• Like 3

I need to strengthen my top 25. I've seen 45 eligible films and it is still actually pretty weak. 

Here is my current top 25:

1. Good Will Hunting A+ (masterpiece) 
  2. Gattaca A
  3. Titanic A-
  4. My Best Friends Wedding A-
  5. Cat's Don't Dance A- (underrated, underseen gem) 
  6. Air Force One A-
  7. Starship Troopers A-
  8. In & Out B+
  9. For Richer or Poorer B+
  10. Princess Mononoke B+
  11. The Beautician and the Beast B+
  12. Anastasia B+
  13. Rockerman B+
  14. The Rainmaker B+
  15. Amistad B+ 
  16. Hercules B
  17. Mouse Hunt B
  18. G.I. Jane B
  19. Pooh's Grand Adventure B
  20. Beverly Hills Ninja B 
  21. The Fifth Element B-
  22. Leave it to Beaver B-
  23. Wild America B-
  24. As Good as it Gets B- (It's been ages since I've seen it though) 
  25. Scream 2 C+

L.A Confidential is at the top of my list, and I have to finish Boogie Nights. any more suggestions? 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2017 at 2:34 PM, That One Guy said:

Spielberg's worst is probably Hook.  Going by personal preference though I'd say Lincoln only cause the subject matter isn't interesting to me in the slightest.  It's very well made but it's just not my kind of movie.

Hook is probably the worst Spielberg movie I made it all the way, but The Adventures of Tintin made me sick and I had to turn it off. The Lost World is pretty bad though, and Lincoln was okay, kind of boring though, and was not an accurate representation of Lincoln from what I gathered. 

10 hours ago, Kalo said:

I need to strengthen my top 25. I've seen 45 eligible films and it is still actually pretty weak. 

L.A Confidential is at the top of my list, and I have to finish Boogie Nights. any more suggestions? 

Jackie Brown, Face/Off, Con Air, Breakdown, The Game, Lost Highway, Happy Together

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

what if I was not going to rank Mimic, but when watching Guillermo del Toro's directors cut that was finally released in 2011, I would rank that. 

or if we were doing 1979, what if I hated Apocalypse Now, but I loved Apocalypse now Redux.  How would we go about that?

Edited by Matrix4You

6 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

what if I was not going to rank Mimic, but when watching Guillermo del Toro's directors cut that was finally released in 2011, I would rank that. 

or if we were doing 1979, what if I hated Apocalypse Now, but I loved Apocalypse now Redux.  How would we go about that?

I think it's up to you, but personally I go by the version I like the most.

On 9/12/2017 at 5:42 AM, Jake Gittes said:

Jackie Brown, Face/Off, Con Air, Breakdown, The Game, Lost Highway, Happy Together

Let me second the recommendation of Jackie Brown. The film is very entertaining with a terrific performance by Pam Grier. It made my list, fwiw.

• Like 2