baumer

Top 25 films of 1997 (Countdown will begin Sunday Nov. 26th at Noon EST 9AM PST)

Watched Titanic again today: Titanic the production is a masterpiece indeed. But as a film, an idea, a story, an effort it may be even better actually. It's kitsch yes. But there something very special about it. People will probably watch this with the same eyes with which we watch "Gone in the Wind" today.. Hell.. Maybe even "Casablanca" some 40 or 50 years from now. It's naive in a sense, but more importantly it is humane. I don't know who Cameron is really -- he likes exploration, he likes technique obviously -- but to me he seems to be a nostalgic guy who, like other successful persons like Shania Twain, Bon Jovi, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, has some a big heart and big interests (and not only $$$). 

Unlike the likes of Bon Jovi (sorry folks.. I love "Livin' on a Prayer" dearly but he ain't a musical genius) Cameron knows how pop art production works. Big time. He ain't as innovative as Paul McCartney nor Brian Wilson nor Kubrick. That's for sure. He is more like Benny Anderson -- that is: Perfection! "Titanic" is a perfect product not perfect/unique-to-the-bone art. Still I will have to give it a 10/10 (or A+ or whatever) since otherwise I would only give three or four films that grade. 

1. Titanic (10/10 - a masterpiece sans originality)

2. Lost highway (8/10 -- very good)

3. Face off (8/10)

4. Boogie Nights (8/10)

5. Contact (8/10)

6. Live Flesh (8/10)

7. LA. C. (8/10)

8. Life is beautiful (8/10)

9. The Edge (7/10 -- Good)

10. Austin Powers (7/10)

• Like 5

What's the exact deadline? Wondering if I can cram in another movie or two.

In the meantime: In the Company of Men is pretty outstanding and probably in my top 5 of the year right now, The Sweet Hereafter didn't really work for me which was a major surprise (too careful, too elegant, neither digs into the raw wounds nor risks pulling back to depict an entire community instead of just six people, don't even get me started on the Pied Piper of Hamelin nonsense), Perfect Blue and Eve's Bayou both quite good and the latter in particular deserves so much more attention, Deconstructing Harry solid in spots but a shrug on the whole, and Con Air (seen for the first time in 10-15 years) honestly reaches its own kind of transcendence with the whole Nic Cage playing Forrest Gump as Mulleted Action Hero, hardass convicts dancing to "Sweet Home Alabama", Ving Rhames being intimidated by Steve Buscemi thing it's got going.

• Like 1

I need some help with this.  I have a list of 49 movies right now I will show.  Then I will show a list of over 40 movies I compiled that I have not seen and they are ranked based on my anticipation.  If any of you find anything on this list that you think would fit well in a slot in my top 25 for 1997, then you are basically advertising a movie that you like, and it could be a win for you.  I have most of tonight and tomorrow to watch movies. 

My top 48 list is subject to major changes, but right about now it looks like I might be able to fit up to 5 more in, and I feel like The Game (1997) will end up being #25.  This is what I am thinking.  I will watch Con Air at 9:00 pm Monday night and see if it spoils The Game (1997) making my list at 25.  I have seen Con Air before but the memories are not worth any judgement.  This is an action movie I need to experience.   I am very confident with my placement of Face/Off in the top 25 even though it has been 10+ years since I have seen it.  I am disappointed that I can not rank Face/Off higher.  Upon further re-watches, I might watch something ranking above Face/Off and end up lowering it below Face/Off.  Thanks You!!!

I don't want to watch these movies but I guess I have to:

Life is Beautiful, Princess Mononoke

A                                        Anticipation Ranking

1. Open Your Eyes                                                 Wag the Dog

2. Contact                                                             Kundun

3. Goodwill Hunting                                                The Full Monty

4. Boogie Nights                                                    Rosewood

5. Jackie Brown                                                      Soul Food

6. Scream 2                                                           Anastasia

7. Hard Eight                                                         Hercules

8. The Fifth Element                                                Metro

9. The Lost World                                               The Apostle

10. Men in Black                                                   Kiss the Girls

11. Titanic                                                             Romy and Michelles...

12. Austin Powers                                                  Def Jams....

13. I Know What You Did Last Summer :D          Spike Lee Docu

14. L.A. Confidential                                           Gridlock'd

15. Chasing Amy                                                 GI Jane

16. Cop Land                                                       Addicted to Love

17. Gattaca                                                         Nothing to Loose

18. As Good As It Gets                                          Money Talks

19. The Devil's Advocate                                        Spawn

20. Face/Off                                                        An American Werewolf in London

21. The Rainmaker                                            Fierce Creatures

22. The Game                                                    Mad City

23. Mimic                                                            My Best Friends Wedding

24. The Postman                                               Donnie Brasco

25. Amistad                                                        Con Air

26. Lost Highway                                             Gang Related

B                           

27. Air Force One                                                 Liar Liar

28. The Peacemaker                                            Murder at 1600

29. The Ice Storm                                                   Grosse Point Blank

30. The Jackal                                                    Booty Call

31. Tomorrow Never Dies                                      In and Out

32. Eve's Bayou                                                   Flubber

33. 187                                                                 Absolute Power

34. Batman and Robin                                         Selena

35. Starship Troopers                                           The Devil's Own

36. Alien: Resurrection                                         Private Parts

37. Event Horizon                                                   For Richer or Poorer

Father's Day

Midnight in the Garden....

Jungle 2 Jungle

Mouse Hunt

C

40. Wishmaster

41. Dante's Peak

42. Conspiracy Theory

43. Seven Years in Tibet

44. The Saint

45. Anaconda

46. The Relic

D

47. Volcano

48. Speed 2: Cruise Control

F

49. The Pest

• Like 1

There are others that might make the list but it's been so long since I watched them and I don't have time for a revisit or to watch any more so here goes

1. Spoiler

1. Happy Together
    2. Princess Mononoke 
    3. L.A. Confidential
    4. Anastasia 
    5. Contact 
    6. Hercules 
    7. Men in Black 
    8. The Fifth Element 
    9. Boogie Nights
    10. As Good as It Gets 
    11. Jackie Brown
    12. Grosse Pointe Blank 
    13. Starship Troopers 
    14. Tomorrow Never Dies 
    15. Face/Off 
    16. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery 
    17. Wag the Dog 
    18. Romy and Michele's High School Reunion
    19. The Wings of the Dove
    20. The Ice Storm
    21. George Of The Jungle
    22. Cop Land
    23. The Game 
    24. Gattaca
    25. The Boxer

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matrix4You said:

I need some help with this.  I have a list of 49 movies right now I will show.  Then I will show a list of over 40 movies I compiled that I have not seen and they are ranked based on my anticipation.  If any of you find anything on this list that you think would fit well in a slot in my top 25 for 1997, then you are basically advertising a movie that you like, and it could be a win for you.  I have most of tonight and tomorrow to watch movies. 

My top 48 list is subject to major changes, but right about now it looks like I might be able to fit up to 5 more in, and I feel like The Game (1997) will end up being #25.  This is what I am thinking.  I will watch Con Air at 9:00 pm Monday night and see if it spoils The Game (1997) making my list at 25.  I have seen Con Air before but the memories are not worth any judgement.  This is an action movie I need to experience.   I am very confident with my placement of Face/Off in the top 25 even though it has been 10+ years since I have seen it.  I am disappointed that I can not rank Face/Off higher.  Upon further re-watches, I might watch something ranking above Face/Off and end up lowering it below Face/Off.  Thanks You!!!

3. Goodwill Hunting                                                The Full Monty

10. Men in Black                                                   Kiss the Girls

11. Titanic                                                             Romy and Michelles...

16. Cop Land                                                       Addicted to Love

17. Gattaca                                                         Nothing to Loose

20. Face/Off                                                        An American Werewolf in London

23. Mimic                                                            My Best Friends Wedding

B                           

29. The Ice Storm                                                   Grosse Point Blank

33. 187                                                                 Absolute Power

37. Event Horizon                                                   For Richer or Poorer

Father's Day

Jungle 2 Jungle

Mouse Hunt

C

40. Wishmaster

41. Dante's Peak

42. Conspiracy Theory

43. Seven Years in Tibet

44. The Saint

45. Anaconda

46. The Relic

D

47. Volcano

F

49. The Pest

Princess Mononoke is a must watch.  And if you're an animation fan Anastaia and Hercules

Gross Point Blank, Wag The Dog, Romy & Michelle and not on my list  but I guess Liar Liar, My Best Friend's Wedding and Full Monty

I didn't get around to Kun Dun but wanted to

You can delete An American Werewolf in London since that's 1981 (it's great though).  The one that came out in 97 was A Werewolf in Paris and forget it

Booty Call, In & Out are garbage and Con Air is junk. Flubber & GI Jane are meh. Fierce Creatures is a disappointment. Absolute Power starts off good then ends silly

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

B                           

Father's Day

Jungle 2 Jungle

Mouse Hunt

C

40. Wishmaster

41. Dante's Peak

42. Conspiracy Theory

43. Seven Years in Tibet

44. The Saint

45. Anaconda

46. The Relic

D

47. Volcano

F

49. The Pest

Of those on your list to see I preferred Mononoke by far, after that Con Air, Kundun and Donnie Brasco. I thought Wag The Dog was terrible, but apparently some people like it.

• Like 1

Here is my list ( from the mojo Top 300):

Titanic    10/10

Lost Highway  9/10

Face/Off  8/10

L.A. Confidential 7/10

Starship Troopers 7/10

Kolya 7/10

Boogie Nights  7/10

Liar Liar  6.5/10

The Game  6.5/10

As Good as It Gets 6.5/10

Jackie Brown 6.5/10

Good Will Hunting 6.5/10

The Edge  6/10

Amistad  6/10

Contact  6/10

Con Air 6/10

Gattaca 6/10

Deconstructing Harry 6/10

Breakdown  6/10

U-Turn 5.5/10

The Ice Storm 5.5/10

The Fifth Element 5/10

The Full Monty 5/10

Cop Land 5/10

Romy & Michele's High School Reunion  5/10

Grosse Pointe Blank  5/10

Does not really meet the criteria of the list:

Das Boot: The Director's Cut  9/10

Not seen yet:

The Rainmaker (1997)

I try to watch Chasing Amy again. Back then I really loved the movie, but now I find it just unwatchable...To a lesser degree this also applies to U-turn and as good as it gets- but they still manage to make my list :)

• Like 1

1. Men in Black

2. Mrs. Brown

3. Good Will Hunting

4. Anaconda

5.  Chasing Amy

6. Face Off

7. The Full Monty

8. Liar Liar

9. Hercules

10. Fierce Creatures

11. Alien Resurrection

12. Flubber

13. The Devil's Advocate

14. Air Force One

15. Lost World 

16. Con Air

17. Titanic

18. Seven Years in Tibet

19. Princess Mononoke

20. Mimic

21. Austin Powers IMOM

22. American Werewolf in Paris

23. The Fifth Element

24. I Know What you Did Last Summer

25. Starship Troopers

26. Bean

27. Volcano

28. Scream 2

29. Dante's Peak

30. As Good As It Gets

31. Tomorrow Never Dies

32. Speed 2

33. Batman and Robin

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Is that the prequel to Victoria and Abdul?

It does appear so, looking the latter up. 

Did not realise they were going to that well again. 

Regardless, Connolly should have got nominated for this, he was excellent.  

• Like 1