WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I meant that they are light,funny, colourful movies that offend or harm no one...

Actually i found all of Illumination movies (ecxept the first DM) to be unfunny and just annoying. And they offend me, because i see a MUCH better movie like Moana just crossing 600M while a bad to medicore movie like DM3 just explodes. This is just my opinion, if you like their movies, more power to you. But they do offend some people wo believe that animated movies can be WAY more than just little yellow bastards yelling. Kids (and adults) deserve better. 

Again, just my opinion.

• Like 2

Just now, YourMother said:

DM3's run is kind of like Dory to me. Both made $1B but their runs (apart from Dory's domestic) were kind of uneventful. They just were there. Sure $1B is a major accomplishment especially for animated films but it's less impressive then say Minions run, Frozen's run, or even Zootopia's run.

When a film breaks 4 box office records for an animated franchise, and propels its franchise to become highest animated franchise both OS and worldwide in history and when DM3 becomes the 3rd highest animated film all time OS, I call that very eventful:)

Dory had a superb run DOM, an OK run OS. DM3 the opposite: OK DOM but superb OS.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

After SPA has delivered crap like The Emoji Movie, Illumination don't seem as bad now. 

True. As bad as Minions or Hop, Illumination's worst films were, Emoji was an even more obvious cash grab with less entertainment.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

A film like Dunkirk crossing 500M absolutely is an accomplishment.  An original war movie with no real draws in it making that much is astounding.  DM3 was expected to do high 900s/low 1B from the start.  It's about expectations and the kind of movie that's making that much money.

Dunkirk's run is impressive and people do acknowledge it. I have never heard anyone trying to undermine it's run (unlike other cases...). The fact is though that specifically the 500m mark is not such a huge milestone to be focusing on it specifically. 

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Again that's okay but animation doesn't just have to appeal to children.

I am 25 and I have enjoyed many Illumination films. I prefer the Despicable Me movies to Zootopia or Dory or Frozen or The Lego movies.....

An animated movie doesn't have to try to be serious, in order to appeal to grown ups. Unless they are pretentious and full of dumerness.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Actually i found all of Illumination movies (ecxept the first DM) to be unfunny and just annoying. And they offend me, because i see a MUCH better movie like Moana just crossing 600M while a bad to medicore movie like DM3 just explodes. This is just my opinion, if you like their movies, more power to you. But they do offend some people wo believe that animated movies can be WAY more than just little yellow bastards yelling. Kids (and adults) deserve better. 

Again, just my opinion.

You are talking about your own subjective opinion that as the results show, the majority of the public disagrees with.

It's not like Moana didn't have the support or the right circumstances to be big. If it did less that SLOP or DM3 it is entirely because people liked the latter more.

Actually for a studio as new as Illumination to be making such numbers and competing against Disney with a history of a thousand years it proves that they are doing something right.

As for the "offensive" part, I think it's ridiculous to argue such a thing. They offend no one. They are what they are, they don't pretend to be anything more and people love them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, IT is having an all-time run, but it's a run the the industry absolutely NEEDED. If it weren't for IT, theatre's around the country would be absolutely dead, and almost begging customers to come in.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

True. As bad as Minions or Hop, Illumination's worst films were, Emoji was an even more obvious cash grab with less entertainment.

Hop wasn't great, Minions started off well but tapers out at the end. Sony seem to take the worse elements of Illumination or WAG with the Emoji Movie and it shows at the box office when none of their films this week have even cracked $200m WW. 

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

An animated movie doesn't have to try to be serious, in order to appeal to grown ups. Unless they are pretentious and full of dumerness.

I think you can appeal to both without straying to either camp. Pixar and WDAS do it brilliantly as do Studio Ghibli and Aardman. 

• Like 3

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

You are talking about your own subjective opinion that as the results show, the majority of the public disagrees with.

It's not like Moana didn't have the support or the right circumstances to be big. If it did less that SLOP or DM3 it is entirely because people liked the latter more.

Actually for a studio as new as Illumination to be making such numbers and competing against Disney with a history of a thousand years it proves that they are doing something right.

As for the "offensive" part, I think it's ridiculous to argue such a thing. They offend no one. They are what they are, they don't pretend to be anything more and people love them.

Like you said, opinions are subjective. You clearly like their films, so thats good. I despise them and so do many people i know. So what? There are people who hate Cititzen Kane for gods sake :D. I just dont like sentences like: They offend NO ONE. You dont speak for all people. No one speaks for all people. There are a LOT of people who dislike or hate Illumination, just like there are a lot fo people who dislike Pixar. 

I will never say that their films arent smashing successes. Because they are. But i dont have to pretend that i like that.

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Hop wasn't great, Minions started off well but tapers out at the end. Sony seem to take the worse elements of Illumination or WAG with the Emoji Movie and it shows at the box office when none of their films this week have even cracked $200m WW. 

I think you can appeal to both without straying to either camp. Pixar and WDAS do it brilliantly as do Studio Ghibli and Aardman. 

Well for me, Pixar and WDAS are actually trying too hard to be serious sometimes and I don't like it.

Other times they do have the right balance. I agree.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Wondering why BOM hasn't updated a foreign total for Hitman's Bodyguard. Looking at the breakdown, it's gotta be close to 40-50M just by 10 seconds of skimming through. 

They haven't updated but i believe it's forgein total is currently at $65M. If it performs similar to how London has Fallen franchise does in china, it's going over $100M OS from that. Add into whatever else it'll make from the rest of its foreign markets and it'll end north of $200M for the total which is pretty solid. 

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Like you said, opinions are subjective. You clearly like their films, so thats good. I despise them and so do many people i know. So what? There are people who hate Cititzen Kane for gods sake :D. I just dont like sentences like: They offend NO ONE. You dont speak for all people. No one speaks for all people. There are a LOT of people who dislike or hate Illumination, just like there are a lot fo people who dislike Pixar. 

I will never say that their films arent smashing successes. Because they are. But i dont have to pretend that i like that.

Having an opinion has nothing to do with being offended. The first one is subjective, the second one is based on facts.

You are not offended by something that you don't like. You are offended by something that is insultive, which is not the case.

I think Illumination films are good. I am not crazy about them and I haven't watched all of them. The reason I support them is actually the attitude that the people have against them which pisses me off quite frequently.

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

They haven't updated but i believe it's forgein total is currently at $65M. If it performs similar to how London has Fallen franchise does in china, it's going over $100M OS from that. Add into whatever else it'll make from the rest of its foreign markets and it'll end north of $200M for the total which is pretty solid. 

I think a sequel is likely IMO. If Olympus has Fallen could get a sequel with another on the way then this should as well

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think a sequel is likely IMO. If Olympus has Fallen could get a sequel with another on the way then this should as well

I would be shocked if it didn't get a sequel, to be honest. It's clearly going to be profitable for Lionsgate and even if a sequel decreases a bit, if they keep the budget modest, they'll have another profitable film. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

I would be shocked if it didn't get a sequel, to be honest. It's clearly going to be profitable for Lionsgate and even if a sequel decreases a bit, if they keep the budget modest, they'll have another profitable film. 

They could up the budget by $10-20m and it would still be profitable. Just cast Jason Statham or Gerard Butler for the villain, write a decent script and give Salma Hayek more to do and you have a sequel

• Like 2