WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 61): Kingsman 39M | It 29.8M | Ninjago 20.4M | AA 6.3M | mother! 3.3M | Friend Request 2M (lol)

Just now, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Warner didn't explore the maximum potential of IT. A 52% drop in the third weekend is not strong as the WOM is, if it were released in August, it could had even reached $360m with summer weekdays and lack of competition, urgh. 

Does it even matter when it's doing an otherworldly amount of business.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Ninjago should make WB a lot of merchandising money though. prod budget is 70m. should get close to that dom and os each.

Similar budget to Storks, I guess it was cheaper than Lego Batman due to lack of IPs to license

26 minutes ago, a2knet said:

two spinoffs in a row (nevermind in the same year) seems to be a rare thing. can't think of any other examples. minions1 and 2 will be punctuated by dm3, star wars is alternating and so is the conjuring universe so far.

WB will probably space out the Lego films from now on, I imagine it’ll be the same for the HB films although they’re different enough for each other to have two films in one year 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Warner didn't explore the maximum potential of IT. A 52% drop in the third weekend is not strong as the WOM is, if it were released in August, it could had even reached $360m with summer weekdays and lack of competition, urgh. 

A 52% drop when it lost IMAX and some PLF is actually pretty good. IMAX was contributing 10-15% easy at this point, should stabilize next weekend again

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator
31 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Do you think it will be able to maintain the TC through late October? I have a feeling the amount of releases on the 20th will hurt it a lot. 

You could be right but I think it will depend on how it plays in the coming weeks. Theaters will make sure to keep it booked if it holds well. They need as many family moviegoers as they can get before the holidays.

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think the marketing pitching the movie almost exclusively to small children, alienating the adults/teens who went to see the other LEGO movies in the process, is what did it in (with the reviews being the cherry on top).

Good point. The lack of appeal to moms and daughters worked against it too.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Similar budget to Storks, I guess it was cheaper than Lego Batman due to lack of IPs to license

that makes a lot of sense. so one can imagine the budget creeping a bit higher for lego movie 2.

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

WB will probably space out the Lego films from now on, I imagine it’ll be the same for the HB films although they’re different enough for each other to have two films in one year 

wonder if billion dollar brick race gets moved/cancelled.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Do you think it will be able to maintain the TC through late October? I have a feeling the amount of releases on the 20th will hurt it a lot. 

3 minutes ago, Shawn said:

You could be right but I think it will depend on how it plays in the coming weeks. Theaters will make sure to keep it booked if it holds well. They need as many family moviegoers as they can get before the holidays.

In my experience, we have never NOT had a kids movie ever.  They will keep something booked, no matter how poorly it is doing, just to have a kids movies playing.  

If Ninjago wasn't released, theaters would hang onto Emoji/Nut Job/DM3 until the next one rolls along.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

It doesn't have a release date but has a director so either a 2021/2022 release date or BBR gets retooled to be an original film.

• Like 1

Just now, Boner Omega said:

In my experience, we have never NOT had a kids movie ever.  They will keep something booked, no matter how poorly it is doing, just to have a kids movies playing.  

If Ninjago wasn't released, theaters would hang onto Emoji/Nut Job/DM3 until the next one rolls along.

I imagine Ninjago will be pretty much gone when Thor opens, since that will likely play heavily to families as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Boner Omega said:

This is a normal thing around the world. It happens the same here.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

that makes a lot of sense. so one can imagine the budget creeping a bit higher for lego movie 2.

Lego Batman was $80m so I imagine LM2 will be around that maybe a bit higher.

I imagine Billion Brick Race will stay in development for now. If they release it in 2021 then that’ll be enough of a gap after LM2 as Scooby is in 2020

4 minutes ago, Boner Omega said:

MLP could also fill that niche too.