Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

27 minutes ago, grim22 said:

What the cover doesn’t tell is that it’s about some guys trying to hunt Bigfoot

Looks like they’re covering that up and selling it like a Xmas movie

edit: it’s also a Netflix Original now too.

Edited by AJG

Stranger Things season 2 was pretty good. Maybe not as good as the first but there was a lot to like about it. I'll admit that "ragtag team", that came out of nowhere in episode 7 (which has been heavily criticized) was completely unnecessary, but I did like Eleven's character arc in that same episode. It was really interesting overall. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Barnack said:

What a terrible misquote, he is saying that having electricity in a village, not deep black nights, etc... help sexual assault, not fossil fuels in particular or itself.

"the light that shines the righteousness" is not exactly just talking electricity here. (Not to mention it's a woefully out-of-date stereotype that sexual assault only happens in dark alleys).

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

"the light that shines the righteousness" is not exactly just talking electricity here. (Not to mention it's a woefully out-of-date stereotype that sexual assault only happens in dark alleys).

No also the light and general augmentation of energy... but he is not talking about fossil fuel in any way either. And he is a allegedly quoting a woman living there if I understand is comments correctly, it is somewhat a factor, in Canada for example the level of sexual assault among extended family member in some Amerindians community is huge, a big reason is being poor in living all in the same small house. It is not just dark alleys, it is "dark" house with the fathers/uncles/brothers.

Regardless what does any of what he is saying has to do with fossil fuel (that just happen to be how electricity will be made), it really look like a terrible click bait. I am not even able to understand what they are trying to suggest he would have thought/said by it.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

No also the light and general augmentation of energy... but he is not talking about fossil fuel in any way either. And he is a allegedly quoting a woman living there if I understand is comments correctly, it is somewhat a factor, in Canada for example the level of sexual assault among extended family member in some Amerindians community is huge, a big reason is being poor in living all in the same small house. It is not just dark alleys, it is "dark" house with the fathers/uncles/brothers.

Regardless what does any of what he is saying has to do with fossil fuel (that just happen to be how electricity will be made), it really look like a terrible click bait. I am not even able to understand what they are trying to suggest he would have thought/said by it.

He's speaking during an energy policy discussion and directly said that fossil fuels were the only way to get power in Africa... then he immediately followed that up with this comment in question. It's an absurd, crazy reach by his part. He's saying that sexual assault will diminish because houses are powered by fossil-fuel-sourced electricity. Why even bring it up? 

• Like 2

If you have time I urge you to see this South Korean movie called "The Villainess". It's about an assassin and mother forced to kill for the state. Romance, Action, Betrayal: it's all fucking here, and none of my friends have seen it and I'm pissed. Seriously look at this fight:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AJG said:

If you have time I urge you to see this South Korean movie called "The Villainess". It's about an assassin and mother forced to kill for the state. Romance, Action, Betrayal: it's all fucking here, and none of my friends have seen it and I'm pissed. Seriously look at this fight:

I've seen that clip and it's indeed crazy/awesome. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the movie someday.

• Like 1

Thank You for Your Service kind of lost me towards the end. The movie coasts by so long and so well without much conflict from a structural standpoint that the third act feels super weird and detached. It did basically fix American Sniper's biggest issue of not enough character development, at least. It's a solid movie overall though. Too bad it's bombing.

btw the new Commuter trailer is waaaaaaaack. Totally killed any excitement I had for the movie

9 minutes ago, AJG said:

I’m sorry, but this is terrible. Seems like it was directed by a dudebro who plays way too many videogames. The digital blood is youtube bad.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

He's speaking during an energy policy discussion and directly said that fossil fuels were the only way to get power in Africa... then he immediately followed that up with this comment in question. It's an absurd, crazy reach by his part. He's saying that sexual assault will diminish because houses are powered by fossil-fuel-sourced electricity. Why even bring it up? 

I was not talking about bringing that up or not ( I imagine because it was a subject in the actually or was it he talked about with the woman he is quoting ?), is point was clearly energy/electricity would impact life in many ways, including some type of criminality.

Changing electricity by fossil fuel (has if the fact that he implied that the nature of the energy source matered) is extremelly click-baity no ?

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I was not talking about bringing that up or not ( I imagine because it was a subject in the actually or was it he talked about with the woman he is quoting ?), is point was clearly energy/electricity would impact life in many ways, including some type of criminality.

Changing electricity by fossil fuel (has if the fact that he implied that the nature of the energy source matered) is extremelly click-baity no ?

Re: your first sentence -- he basically chose an awkward way (at best) to talk about the subject.

In terms of your question re: click-bait... I'm not sure I follow. He didn't imply, he specifically advocated for fossil fuels as the best/only/right way to get the energy to the villages.

• Like 1