Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

I still have some issues with Florida Project (big ole NOPE on that ending) but I've come around to how brilliant Willem Dafoe was. Really stuck with me - a performance that grew over the months. Just in time for him to lose to suddenly heroic redeemed George Zimmerman tomorrow!

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I still have some issues with Florida Project (big ole NOPE on that ending) but I've come around to how brilliant Willem Dafoe was. Really stuck with me - a performance that grew over the months. Just in time for him to lose to suddenly heroic redeemed George Zimmerman tomorrow!

I've come to realize recently that one of my absolute favorite things for any actor to do is portray virtue/kindness/decency while avoiding saintliness and artificiality, and Dafoe absolutely nails that here. Might be the most low-key inspiring movie character of 2017.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

On the plus side, Sam Rockwell is great. Just wish it was for a different role. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

On the plus side, Sam Rockwell is great. Just wish it was for a different role. 

Sam Rockwell is terrific. But, and I know this might not seem believable from me, I disagree with him winning beyond my politics/problems with the role. I just don't think he's particularly good in it. It doesn't go past skin deep for me. Too cartoonish to be real, but too real to be delightfully hammy or fun or anything. Didn't love that performance, even if I like Rockwell alot genreally. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Sam Rockwell is terrific. But, and I know this might not seem believable from me, I disagree with him winning beyond my politics/problems with the role. I just don't think he's particularly good in it. It doesn't go past skin deep for me. Too cartoonish to be real, but too real to be delightfully hammy or fun or anything. Didn't love that performance, even if I like Rockwell alot genreally. 

The material lets pretty much everyone down in that movie. Harrelson fares the best probably, because he just does his usual entertaining Harrelson thing and then goes out early, and with the most emotional scene in the movie to boot (that first letter). 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Blank Panther said:

Btw, really loved FLORIDA PROJECT - don't know where I stand on the ending, because I don't love it, but I definitely don't hate it

Yeah I'm neither here nor there on it. Like, I understand and don't disagree with the intention, but I think I would have liked the movie just as much if it had ended two minutes earlier. Maybe a second viewing will shift me one way or the other. 

• Like 1