Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

yeah at my office job I was quite displeased with how much I made and said I was looking elsewhere and I wanted an increase at my performance review.

So this year i have received a bigger increase in my salary then my last 6 years combined?

That was quite unexpected... 

(yeah I do still run 'that' business but I sort of keep this job due to benefits and such)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

yeah at my office job I was quite displeased with how much I made and said I was looking elsewhere and I wanted an increase at my performance review.

So this year i have received a bigger increase in my salary then my last 6 years combined?

That was quite unexpected... 

(yeah I do still run 'that' business but I sort of keep this job due to benefits and such)

Always know your value, I say this to people all the time. I've had dozens of people ask for more money over the past few years, and in all but a couple of cases I've always respected the person for it, and given them the raise they deserve. 

You should never be afraid to put for an argument that you're currently undervalued. 

• Like 1

Just realized Sundance starts this weekend. Lots of interesting sounding stuff premiering. Curious about Honey Boy (Shia LaBeouf's potential comeback!), the Zac Efron Ted Bundy movie with the bad title, and Scott Z. Burns' The Report with Academy Award Nominee Adam Driver. Late Night with Emma Thompson and Mindy Kaling (and written by the latter) also sounds like a potential breakout in waiting.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DAR said:

@YourMother the Edgelord   I see MPS is the only school district that's open.   I bet had it not been closed on Monday due to the Holiday, there probably would have been no school today.

They rarely close unless it’s freezing anyways. Though that’s not my problem anymore, as I’m living the college life and can choose whether or not to come... yet decided to anyways :sparta::whosad:

15 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

They rarely close unless it’s freezing anyways. Though that’s not my problem anymore, as I’m living the college life and can choose whether or not to come... yet decided to anyways :sparta::whosad:

That's right I forgot you did graduate.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Always know your value, I say this to people all the time. I've had dozens of people ask for more money over the past few years, and in all but a couple of cases I've always respected the person for it, and given them the raise they deserve. 

You should never be afraid to put for an argument that you're currently undervalued. 

Yeah I spoke with some friends about if they ever bring up money when they speak with their managers..

They say it sounds you are there just for money...

I am like um... what lol isn't that the point.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Yeah I spoke with some friends about if they ever bring up money when they speak with their managers..

They say it sounds you are there just for money...

I am like um... what lol isn't that the point.

If I had an employee tell me they weren't there for the money I'd be suspicious. Although I operate a Law Firm so it's sort of a given. 

Still, I think you should be honest with a manager, at least I always aim for relationships with employees based on trust, I don't get the point of hiring a person if you don't trust them to be good at their job, and ultimately honest with you. 

• Like 1

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

If I had an employee tell me they weren't there for the money I'd be suspicious. Although I operate a Law Firm so it's sort of a given. 

Still, I think you should be honest with a manager, at least I always aim for relationships with employees based on trust, I don't get the point of hiring a person if you don't trust them to be good at their job, and ultimately honest with you. 

My issue was that I sort of found out (and that is why wages should remain private) my older colleagues made wayyy more then I did and they were not even really good employees.

So why should I get way less, just because I have not kept my office chair warm for as long. 

(thats exactly what I said lol)