Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

7 minutes ago, Goffe said:

The Fyre doc is probably the first great thing Netflix has done. 

I haven't heard of the Fyre event but seen a lot of recommendations for the film. Need to get on watching that.

Have you watched Buster Scruggs? Cooool coooool waaaderrr

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

Yes, it’s good. Entertaining, like most of the Coen joints.

Annihilation? Roma? Mowgli? No other Netflix films you think are great? 

(Fair enough if not... Each to their own)

44 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I never said anything about guilt-ridden though. 🤔

True but the implication that Green Book is getting this far is because white people want to feel good about themselves (and thus believing racism has been resolved by seeing it) is...oof. Perhaps it’s getting this far because people really like it? And again, I’m saying that as someone who didn’t love the movie.

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

All this stuff just boils my blood. All these controversies. All this stupid faux outrage.

Viggo absolutely was not wrong. Just stop with the identity politics already.

I feel like a person on the alt-right posting an essay that BlacKkKlansman is really unfair to white surpremacists and getting rightfully blasted for it would also prompt a response of “stupid faux outrage, boils my blood, stop with the identity politics, they have have the right to say that” from you at this point.

Edited by filmlover

33 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Annihilation? Roma? Mowgli? No other Netflix films you think are great? 

(Fair enough if not... Each to their own)

I think that for all those 3 example Netflix has absolutely nothing to do with them, they just bought the right to distribute the final product in some markets once it was made.

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

True but the implication that Green Book is getting this far is because white people want to feel good about themselves (and thus believing racism has been resolved by seeing it) is...oof. Perhaps it’s getting this far because people really like it? And again, I’m saying that as someone who didn’t love the movie.

I feel like a person on the alt-right posting an essay that BlacKkKlansman is really unfair to white surpremacists and getting rightfully blasted for it would also prompt a response of “stupid faux outrage, boils my blood, stop with the identity politics, they have have the right to say that” response from you at this point.

I'm honestly too exhausted by all this stuff to argue. I'm really trying hard to tune it all out but it just keeps popping up. 

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I think that for all those 3 example Netflix has absolutely nothing to do with them, they just bought the right to distribute the final product in some markets once it was made.

True but I suppose it's just down to your idea of what constitutes a Netflix film. 

And hi Barnack. :) 

8 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Of course, it makes them (almost entirely white folk, as far as I can tell) feel good about themselves.

(I mean, the backlash to the backlash has been going on for awhile now, otherwise it wouldn’t have won PGA, etc).

I think people who see these kinds of movies through this lens is based more on politics than race.

All of the white people or minorities don't see these kinds of movies in this manner. It goes down to how much focus on these identity issues.

Like my family and friends are mostly all minorities and we never view movies through this kind of lens.

Personally, I think white liberals care about this stuff than most minorities.

Like I remember all the complaining about Avatar and The BlindSide for similar reasons and Avatar was one the biggest Hollywood films ever in most non-white foreign markets and the Blindside was a colossal success in theaters, tv and home media.

We liked those two movies for the same reason white people liked them XD.

So Personally I enjoyed Green Book for the great performance by the two leads and that is was quite entertaining throughout. Yeah it has flaws from its social messaging and the other award films may be better at it, but I found a lot of the award films too niche in their appeal for my liking.

Edited by Lordmandeep

The first episode of The Kominsky Method on Netflix was surprisingly very well written (the show is created by Chuck Lorre) and very well acted as expected (it stars Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin, and Nancy Travis is such an underrated actress). It was one of the most touching episodes I've ever seen. The rest of the season was not as great, but the show is promising.