Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Speaking of Green Book:

Chadwick's face really says it all. Everyone else there's face is hilarious as hell too.

Reminds me of last year during that Actress round table where Kate Winslet talked about how great Woody Allen was and everybody just had the most WTF looks on their faces.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Reminds me of last year during that Actress round table where Kate Winslet talked about how great Woody Allen was and everybody just had the most WTF looks on their faces.

She clearly wasn't reading the room 

47fa9dddc3a625f648780446b77133c8

We all know even if Green Book wins Best Picture the controversy won’t have much staying power months later. And honestly, I feel like there’s gonna end up being backlash to the backlash. The people who love the movie really love it. And we all know there would be none of it if it weren’t the frontrunner. @CoolioD1 was accurate recently when he said in the movie’s thread that no one has bothered to call either Three Billboards or La La Land racist since they lost.

Just want to say Shoplifters and especially The Favourite are some great ass movies. Really hope Nicholas Hoult manages a nomination tomorrow.

42 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I went out into the cold today to see The Upside with my mom (much better than I thought it would be, even if it’s basically just an inferior American remake of The Intouchables, with solid performances and chemistry from Hart - too bad his fine work here has been overshadowed completely by unrelated controversy - and Cranston) and the seniors on the way out (it was Senior Monday so they were everywhere paging @WrathOfHan) said it’s not anywhere as great as Green Book. I’m honestly not looking at all forward to the backlash coming that movie’s way as it continues to be the frontrunner that the Internet hates and everybody else loves and I didn’t even love it. 

And now I get some sleep before waking up early where I will feel mostly indifferent to the Oscar nominations for the first year in a long time.

The theater was incredibly busy when I saw The Favourite today. My showing was about halfway full and mostly seniors, and their reactions to the ending were hilarious lol

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The theater was incredibly busy when I saw The Favourite today. My showing was about halfway full and mostly seniors, and their reactions to the ending were hilarious lol

I saw The Favourite in a nearly sold out auditorium made up mostly of old people and have to say I’m impressed how much of the audience seemed to “get” it. I’m still howling over the dance between Weisz and Taylor Swift’s latest future break-up song material as well as

Spoiler

Weisz: I told you to send her away.

Colman: I don’t want to. I like it when she puts her tongue inside me.

Edited by filmlover

11 minutes ago, Avatree said:

la la land was racist?

There was a lot of backlash about it being a white savior movie because Ryan Gosling’s character supposedly was gonna save jazz or whatever. It got pretty hilarious at times. My favorite was that actor who said he had auditioned for terrorist roles like 40 times and that if the movie won he would quit the business. Wonder where he is now. 

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

THE FAVOURITE has a great script and performances and I enjoyed it — but I found the cinematography incredibly off-putting and distracting, unfortunately.

But but but FisHeYe LeNseS aRe sO edGy

Edited by Avatree
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The people who love the movie really love it. 

Of course, it makes them (almost entirely white folk, as far as I can tell) feel good about themselves.

(I mean, the backlash to the backlash has been going on for awhile now, otherwise it wouldn’t have won PGA, etc).

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There was a lot of backlash about it being a white savior movie because Ryan Gosling’s character supposedly was gonna save jazz or whatever. It got pretty hilarious at times. My favorite was that actor who said he had auditioned for terrorist roles like 40 times and that if the movie won he would quit the business. Wonder where he is now. 

Huh, guess I missed that. Incidentally the John Legend song (something about fire?) was the only good tune in LLL.

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

Huh, guess I missed that. Incidentally the John Legend song (something about fire?) was the only good tune in LLL.

Another was that I believe it was racist because it had no major black characters aside from Legend even though the movie was obviously about just about Gosling and Stone by design lmao. Everybody in that movie that wasn’t those two was either a cameo or a paid extra.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Another was that I believe it was racist because it had no major black characters aside from Legend even though the movie was obviously about just about Gosling and Stone by design lmao. Everybody in that movie that wasn’t those two was either a cameo or a paid extra.

Damien Chazelle is clearly just a racist filmmaker. did you notice he completely ignored all the hard work of the HIDDEN FIGURES women, in the Neil Armstrong movie? he's just a racist sack of shit. no other explanation for that.

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Of course, it makes them (almost entirely white folk, as far as I can tell) feel good about themselves.

I’m not the movie’s biggest champion but I can say that’s not true, at least from my end. My mom says it was her favorite movie of the year because she found it hilarious and heartwarming and not because she’s a guilt-ridden white person who wanted to feel good about herself.

39 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I’m not the movie’s biggest champion but I can say that’s not true, at least from my end. My mom says it was her favorite movie of the year because she found it hilarious and heartwarming and not because she’s a guilt-ridden white person who wanted to feel good about herself.

I never said anything about guilt-ridden though. 🤔