Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

12 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

What the hell? A bunch of people were popping balloons in one of the libraries (the most popular one) in my uni and everyone in there thought a school shooting was happening. Absolutely insane. Glad I decided not to go to the library today.

Sounds like things got blown out of proportion

On 2/20/2022 at 11:07 AM, Maggie said:

It's starting

I wonder how many times the USIC media apparatus is gonna reschedule this imminent invasion?   I wouldn't believe anything coming out of those people until the Russian army has crossed the border, which I think is more unlikely as the cost outweighs the benefit.  Langley is engaged in a full on information/propaganda war with their Russian counterparts right now which means theres gonna be a lot of disinformation flying around. 

And this is curious.

FMAzyE7XIAAeZsc?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by Ozymandias

20 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I wonder how many times the USIC media apparatus is gonna reschedule this imminent invasion?   I wouldn't believe anything coming out of those people until the Russian army has crossed the border, which I think is more unlikely as the cost outweighs the benefit.  Langley is engaged in a full on information/propaganda war with their Russian counterparts right now which means theres gonna be a lot of disinformation flying around. 

And this is curious.

But yeah, keep denying reality and saying that they are just conducting military exercises.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, grim22 said:

But yeah, keep denying reality and saying that they are just conducting military exercises.

Now now, don't bury the lede:

====

Not that I think "The West" should do anything militarily here, as the obviously shouldn't and almost certainly won't.  But someone is the aggressor/instigator here and it sure as hell ain't NATO/the US.

27 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Invasion will happen. Putin can't back down. It would make him seem weak to his supporters

There is a school of thought that what the US has been doing the last two weeks is try to the best of their VERY limited ability forestall/prevent a sneak attack/surprise attack on Ukraine.

At the very least, the goal is to raise the stakes enough that if it does come to pass, it'd hurt Putin/Russia's elite more than it could have if the US had just kept its yap shut/not raised the alarm as much as they did.

Now, @Ozymandias is right in one respect when they imply that this does run the risk of the US looking like the Boy Who Cried Wolf one too many times.  On the other hand, I tend to think the US government would trade "looking like a fool" for an actual not-invasion of Ukraine.  

There are other geo-political potential pitfalls here for the US, but they're much more of a domestic concern and probably better left for the US Politics thread (which I'm more or less avoiding at the moment).

Edited by Porthos

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Now now, don't bury the lede:

====

Not that I think "The West" should do anything militarily here, as the obviously shouldn't and almost certainly won't.  But someone is the aggressor/instigator here and it sure as hell ain't NATO/the US.

Unlike 2014, there likely won't be a rally around the flag effect for Putin this time, but he's going to try by himself. I'm thinking he never felt the EU and NATO would just not agree to any of his demands despite the troop buildup and is just escalating as much as he can now because he needs to look like the winner.

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

And this is curious.

Here you go

"Peacekeeping" for sure.

This is madness. Ive followed this situation for weeks now and was personally convinced that an invasion would happen after the olympics but to see it now actually happening in the beginning stages ...

This will change the security architecture of Europe and the world. It will have serious consequences for the EU, NATO. Taiwan and Communist China will look very closely how this unfolds.

Btw as a history student i must say that Putin is following the formula of a certain austrian madmen very closely ... if it wasnt so unfunny, id call it ironic considering the Soviet Union was the country (along with Poland) that suffered the most in WW2.

24 minutes ago, CJohn said:

WWIII is here. It is exactly what everyone needed after a pandemic.

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

"WW3" kinda requires a second major multinational bloc to start shooting back, and there is exactly zero indication that is happening any time soon.

• Like 2