Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

New census estimates are out and Texas and Florida are smoking everybody. It's not close. DFW left everyone in the dust and was the only metro to gain over 100K people last year, and it blew past that. Houston #2, Atlanta #3, Phoenix #4, DC #5, Seattle #6.

Other notable gainers is Charlotte, Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Minneapolis, San Antonio, Vegas, Austin, Raleigh, Denver, Portland - basically almost everywhere where it doesn't snow.

Boston having great gains for the northeast. Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland continue to lose people, but Detroit is bouncing back. New York and LA were nothing special. LA and SF have slowed quite a bit, though Riverside is on fire at #7 (census counts Riverside/San Bernandino separate from LA at the metro level).

6 of the 10 fastest growing counties were in TX. 

The northeast, Mississippi River region, great plains not doing too much outside of some pockets. The Midwest is like half loss/half gain, but seems healthier than earlier in the decade. Indianapolis, Kansas City, Columbus, Cincinnati making nice moderate gains. West Virginia and Illinois seem to have bled across the board.

Myrtle Beach gained almost as many people as LA County @Trolltastic Tele

Edited by Jandrew

13 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

New census estimates are out and Texas and Florida are smoking everybody. It's not close. DFW left everyone in the dust and was the only metro to gain over 100K people last year, and it blew past that. Houston #2, Atlanta #3, Phoenix #4, DC #5, Seattle #6.

Other notable gainers is Charlotte, Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Minneapolis, San Antonio, Vegas, Austin, Raleigh, Denver, Portland - basically almost everywhere where it doesn't snow.

Boston having great gains for the northeast. Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland continue to lose people, but Detroit is bouncing back. New York and LA were nothing special. LA and SF have slowed quite a bit, though Riverside is on fire at #7 (census counts Riverside/San Bernandino separate from LA at the metro level).

6 of the 10 fastest growing counties were in TX. 

The northeast, Mississippi River region, great plains not doing much special outside of some pockets. The Midwest is like half loss/half gain, seems better than earlier in the decade. West Virginia and Illinois seem to have bled across the board.

Myrtle Beach gained almost as many people as LA County @Trolltastic Tele

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2018/popest-metro-county.html

The Villages, FL

Well, at least the growth wasn't significantly bad in my area :gold: 

Edited by WrathOfHan

Apparently Columbus, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Grand Rapids, and Minneapolis are the only metros in the entire Midwest and Northeast that actually gained native born Americans. Everywhere else lost.

New York has apparently lost a net 1.08 million Americans since 2010 while gaining 1.06 million foreigners. Minneapolis has gained a net of 432 Americans in 7 years.

LOL there's this guy in my biology class who's a lot older than everyone else like 26 so no one's met him before the semester His name's Patrick and since it's a small class we've all sorta started studying together

Anyways in lecture yesterday he was like ''Guys, my name's Hunter. I'm not sure why you guys started calling me Patrick but I just went along for it'' even the teacher looked surprised since she's been calling him Patrick. She was like 'really'' and checked the sheet and just started laughing.

Not really sure how we ALL missed that but it was pretty funny

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

LOL there's this guy in my biology class who's a lot older than everyone else like 26 so no one's met him before the semester His name's Patrick and since it's a small class we've all sorta started studying together

Anyways in lecture yesterday he was like ''Guys, my name's Hunter. I'm not sure why you guys started calling me Patrick but I just went along for it'' even the teacher looked surprised since she's been calling him Patrick. She was like 'really'' and checked the sheet and just started laughing.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

"Sure thing, Patrick."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I have not watched more than 2 or 3 episodes of TGP :kitschjob: When is Season 2 gonna be on Netflix? I'm waiting for it to be added so I can catch up

wtf? Who did I confuse with you? There's some kid who's a big fan... or so I thought. 

:kitschjob: 

Don't you have Hulu?

Another interesting thing about these census estimates, if anyone cares, is that the suburbs are back on the rise. Just a few years ago it seemed that "reverse white flight" was in full swing and cities were back on the rise, while suburbs were slowing.

Articles were coming out left and right about "the demise of the suburbs", "suburbs will soon be the new inner cities", "millennials are flooding cities", etc, but that's not the case. Growth was starting to shift back to the cities, but that has swiftly went back in favor of suburbs.

Yeah us millennials love urban loving, but there's one problem: we can't afford it. All this foreign city buying + luxury building/rent + our student debt + our wages + lower suburban home costs = sticking to the suburbs, or at least the inner ring. Which is interesting because cities are picking back up in job growth. 

• Like 2