Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

The only half decent Indian animated movie was a Hindu mythological tale called Rayaman.

(It was made by Japanese in the end)

Based on the Ramayana, I assume? Maybe I'll have to hunt it down.

(This thing is horribad. It's got American/English actors but I assume this is the English dubbed version, since it's clearly aimed at an Indian audience. And it's some sort of partnership with PETA, no less. Commendably virtuous in terms of ideals, just a debacle when it comes to entertainment.)

2 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I mean, Sucker Punch is kind of feminist in the sense that it seems like all the women in front of the camera and Snyder really, really, really want to say something meaningful about the objectification of women. The film's single biggest problem is that its approach to satire is to play all the tropes it means to satirize completely straight, which makes the satire disappear almost entirely.

LET US OBJECTIFY WOMEN TO SHOW THE OBJECTIFICATION OF WOMEN BECAUSE WOMEN ARE KICKASS AND ALSO HOT

(I don't think Snyder has a satirical bone in his body)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

(This thing is horribad. It's got American/English actors but I assume this is the English dubbed version, since it's clearly aimed at an Indian audience. And it's some sort of partnership with PETA, no less. Commendably virtuous in terms of ideals, just a debacle when it comes to entertainment.)

That movie flopped badly in India as well. No one likes the DTV type animation, the only animated movies which work in India are 2D because the 3D animation looks very bad on a low budget.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I mean, Sucker Punch is kind of feminist in the sense that it seems like all the women in front of the camera and Snyder really, really, really want to say something meaningful about the objectification of women. The film's single biggest problem is that its approach to satire is to play all the tropes it means to satirize completely straight, which makes the satire disappear almost entirely.

They should've started by not giving the female characters names like "Baby Doll" and "Sweet Pea."

3 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

The only downfall is the English dub sucks but I liked it lol

Was like Japanese anime Hindu mythological version.

• Like 1

I remember Snyder going on and on about he was critiquing the objectification of women by empowering them instead, lmao. There's an argument for Sucker Punch being really, really on-the-nose satire but no one involved made it

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I watched The Nut Job 2 for Christ's sake and I wouldn't even dare watch what Tele's watching right now.  Just...look at this

MV5BMjIyOTg2NzAwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTUx

Good fucking lord.  May God have mercy on your soul Tele.

I swear I saw a poster for that movie up at the theater years ago. Did it just get released?

Edited by filmlover

Just now, filmlover said:

The only good parts about Sucker Punch were Oscar Isaac as a mustache-twirling (literally) villain and Carla Gugino vamping it up in all of her scenes. Everything else deserved to be flushed down the biggest toilet in the world.

It's pretty hilarious if you watch it knowing what Snyder was going for, he misses his intended mark about as spectacularly as one could

• Haha 1

I watched Sucker Punch on Blu-Ray just hours before going to see Transformers: Dark of the Moon theatrically. By the end of the day, I'd had way more than enough of extended sequences of nonsensical CGI action, and I couldn't help but also associate both films with the same Macbeth line James Berardinelli quoted in his own Sucker Punch review: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury signifying nothing."

11 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I watched The Nut Job 2 for Christ's sake and I wouldn't even dare watch what Tele's watching right now.  Just...look at this

MV5BMjIyOTg2NzAwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTUx

Good fucking lord.  May God have mercy on your soul Tele.

They can't even fit all the voice talent on the poster

1 minute ago, DAR said:

They can't even fit all the voice talent on the poster

The Hindi version actually had a pretty big name voice cast. All really well known famous actors provided the voices, no idea how the producers managed that on a budget of what was probably peanuts.