Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

Putin is defending his country. The best defence is the attack

Look, i was with Ukraine when this war started, but the issue is complicated

With all respect, you are falling for Putin's disinformation campaign.

And Putin defending his country?????????????????????????

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Russians are quiet, but the Ukrainians are using propaganda to a maximum effect. I hope you know Ghost of Kyiv was also fake. Blatant disinformation coming from Ukraine and probably US too

Quoting rt.com?  Literally Russian state press in this case?

C'mon Maggie.

We both know that propaganda is going to be used here, but going to the modern day incarnation of Pravda?  There are better sources out there if you don't want to be sucked into valiant claims of heroism.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Putin is defending his country.

He absolutely 100 percent is not.  Not in the slightesty.

The best defence is the attack

I'd say "defense against what", but we both know (or should know) that there was nothing to defend against here.

It really really REALLY is not.

At.

All.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

What the actual fuck. Defending his country by attacking another country and killing civilians? What a ridiculous and shameful take

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Yeah, like Hitler was defending his country when he attacked Poland? Like Japan was protecting itself when it annexed Korea and invaded China? Disgusting and shameful attempt to absolve imperialist invaders

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Maggie said:

LOL you can't be serious.

I'm gonna say it, only one of them leaders is an actor....

Maggie, I'll put it to you simply.

Sometimes, sometimes, one side is simply... WRONG.

If Russia was simply trying to support rebels/separatists in Eastern Ukraine?  Fine. Well, not "fine" (in fact not fine in the slighest), but part of a long sad history of geopolitical maneuvering by folks who can get away with it.

But that's not what happened here.  Russia, or to be more precise Putin, has decide to topple the Ukrainian government and AT BEST install a puppet regime that he can control to serve Russian interests.  Or rather his interests.

That's AT BEST.  It could be much much worse.  Probably is worse than that, if not much worse.

I get the drive to try to understand the viewpoints of others. "Surely they have rational reasons for doing something horrific.  I better investigate and Find Out The Truth."  That impulse works in lots of situations.  But sometimes, yes sometimes, people just do bad things that shouldn't be rationalized or excused.  And launching an unprovoked attack on a neighboring country when they don't pose any sort of threat to you is one of them.  Doubly so if you're nursing a 30 year grudge about loss of influence and fear of being dominated financially and culturally by foreign powers.

Yes, there will be propaganda flying from all sides.  And, yes, there will almost certainly be folks on the sidelines looking to take advantage of things.  Vultures and other carrion eaters can often be seen circling the skies of the battlefield.  And sometimes those vultures take human form.

But that doesn't detract from the very simple truth:  This war is going on because Putin wanted it. 

Full. Stop.

The reasons why Putin launched this war might be varied and numerous.  It.  Was. And. Is. Still. WRONG.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

Yeah, like Hitler was defending his country when he attacked Poland? Like Japan was protecting itself when it annexed Korea and invaded China? Disgusting and shameful attempt to absolve imperialist invaders

And on top of that, he threatened nuclear war (!) on anyone who dares to interfere in his war of agession campaign. Putin is a total nutcase and is not only the enemy of Ukraine, but also for everyone who wants to live in a free, democratric world.

• Like 4

Just now, Maggie said:

Guys, sorry i took it too far

Piece of advice:

A. CHeck your source. That article you cited was by someone who war infamous for being a Putin apologist.

as a trip to wikipedia would have shown.

B. Handle seirious issues a lot more carefully then you do geek/fanboy stuff.

29 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Remember, Putin (and many of people of his ilk) like to:

Such a great turn of phrase and one we should use more often.

Fuck Putin, but this is kind of a wack counter-arguement. Groups like the Azov Batallion (which is a part of the Ukranian military) and Ukranian Insurgent Army are still up and running. America elected a black president, but that doesn't mean that racism is not a huge problem here anymore.

• Like 1

On a more frivolous note (as a break from all the distressing stuff happening in the world right now), it appears that now that we've freed Britney, is #FreeAmanda next?

Amanda Bynes Reportedly Files To End 8-Year Conservatorship Which Gives Her Mother Control Of Actress’ Life & Estate

Amanda Bynes Files To End 8-Year Conservatorship Over Life & Estate – Deadline

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Fuck Putin, but this is kind of a wack counter-arguement. Groups like the Azov Batallion (which is a part of the Ukranian military) and Ukranian Insurgent Army are still up and running. America elected a black president, but that doesn't mean that racism is not a huge problem here anymore.

Not sure if this still falls under @Eric Says Trans Rights's admonishment, since it seems to be spinning off a bit, but to me that really does fit the definition of "take something that has a grain of truth and spin it into a web of lies".  The adage of half-truths/partial truths being the worst sort of lies.

More of a general comment than anything else than specifically anything about Ukraine.

Edited by Porthos

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

On a more frivolous note (as a break from all the distressing stuff happening in the world right now), it appears that now that we've freed Britney, is #FreeAmanda next?

Amanda Bynes Reportedly Files To End 8-Year Conservatorship Which Gives Her Mother Control Of Actress’ Life & Estate

Amanda Bynes Files To End 8-Year Conservatorship Over Life & Estate – Deadline

I hope people also put in the energy for Nichelle Nichols, who is also trapped in an abusive conservatorship from her son. All of this really, really sucks

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/skbaer/free-britney-nichelle-nichols-conservatorship