Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

There's also the thing where her post was carefully edited to omit the MAGA hats and the Thin Blue Line t-shirts, which means that she knew it wasn't going to fly with her fanbase. It was discovered through her brother's insta apparently.

So most of the pushback also came from "you tried to hide it didn't you?" backlash.

Awwwwkward "thanks bro" family dinner afterwards there.

(and, yes, I was aware of that wrinkle)

Though, at the same time, that's a really stupid "Damned if you do; damned if you don't" situation as she did curate her feed to be non-controversial, which is what she is allegedly supposed to do.

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Old idea;

This classic bit of Internet Humor has been around for 25 years. Howard Stern read it outloud on one of his broadcast back in the 90's.

https://worstpastas.fandom.com/wiki/Pooh_Goes_Apeshit

Yes, but now that Winnie the Pooh is out of copyright, anyone gets to try to make a buck off the idea by making a movie/TV series/book/whatever.

Just now, Porthos said:

Yes, but now that Winnie the Pooh is out of copyright, anyone gets to try to make a buck off the idea by making a movie/TV series/book/whatever.

Sure, but I'm guessing not entirely. It's probably called "Winnie-the-Pooh" to avoid a potential lawsuit by Disney or whoever.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Sure, but I'm guessing not entirely. It's probably called "Winnie-the-Pooh" to avoid a potential lawsuit by Disney or whoever.

Yeah, from what I have heard is that "out of copyright" isn't quite as cut and dried thanks to trademark implications and derivative works and all that. 

In this specific case, I presume you're talking about the use of hyphens in the name, which this article touches on.

Gonna be an interesting few years as more and more entertainment from the dawn of movies exits initial copyright.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yeah, from what I have heard is that "out of copyright" isn't quite as cut and dried thanks to trademark implications and derivative works and all that. 

In this specific case, I presume you're talking about the use of hyphens in the name, which this article touches on.

Gonna be an interesting few years as more and more entertainment from the dawn of movies exits initial copyright.

Yep. Funny public domain laws is why WB still have ownership over Shazam and Blue Beetle.

shazam-dance.gif

They’re public domain (kinda).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Aren't there like a dozen Wizard of Oz productions in the pipeline since the property is public domain (though any of them not made at WB won't have the red slippers cause they belong to them, if I remember correctly)? Will be interesting to see if any of them amount to anything (or if they do, even come close to making as much Oz the Great and Powerful, and even that barely made a profit). Would say Wicked is an obvious candidate for success but turning that musical into two movies instead of one (like they're planning) feels like asking for trouble lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Aren't there like a dozen Wizard of Oz productions in the pipeline since the property is public domain (though any of them not made at WB won't have the red slippers cause they belong to them, if I remember correctly)? Will be interesting to see if any of them amount to anything (or if they do, even come close to making as much Oz the Great and Powerful, and even that barely made a profit). Would say Wicked is an obvious candidate for success but turning that musical into two movies instead of one (like they're planning) feels like asking for trouble lol.

A remake of The Wiz might do good businesses depending on the budget. 

Also on top of the red shoe issue, studios also have to make sure that the Wicked Witch uses a different shade of green paint than the WB/MGM version.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Of course...now that Winnie is out of copyright he is fair game for movies, etc,..but still my point is  'Winnie as homicidal maniac  black comedy" is not anything new. The piece i linked to was something of internet craze in the 90's.They got away with it because it fell under the "Fair Usage" rule which a actual movie about Winnie for threatrical release would not have.

54 minutes ago, AJG said:

Has anyone seen this movie? Any good?

630fc65d02af9371739879.jpg

For what it is I would say it was good, but not great, a somewhat dumb time travel movie. For sure could have been better though given the cast and crew involved I would have expected something more crowd pleasing.

it is probably the worst of the 3 movies I’ve seen from Korea recently but the other 2 were Broker and Decision to Leave which are both more dramatic slow burn films, Alienoid is the film I had the most fun with but not something I have thought about too much in the couple of weeks since I saw it. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Copyright law is very, very, complex.

The Original Milne books are in public domain, but Disney might still have some  legal claim to some of the titles, 

But a number of famous charecters are due to go into the public domain in the US in the near future.

The last copyrighted book of the Original Conan Doyle stories "The Casebook Of Sherlock Holmes" went into public domain just a few years ago  so now anybody can make a Sherlock Holmes movie if they want.

SOme of Agatha Christie's and Doroty Sayers early mysteries are now in the public domain, but the charecters themselves, Poitot, Miss Marple and Peter Wimsey remain in copyright as far as the film rights go. Thus you can dowload for free the first Poirot novels perfectly legally, but you could not make a movie from them without permission.

And then you have the Fair Usage  issue; where coyrighted mateiral can  be used without permission in limited circumstances like parody  for instance.

Some

4 minutes ago, Eric the Shark said:

There is nothing more unfunny than "OMG THIS KIDS CHARACTER IS NOW VIOLENT AND EVIL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL". Like I don't even think Family Guy does these kind of jokes anymore.

I admit that when I first read it in the 90's I dropped dead laughing at "Winnie the Pooh goes Apeshit Crazy" but it seems pretty forced and obvious. Would not be surprised if this film is the same.

48 minutes ago, AJG said:

Yep. Funny public domain laws is why WB still have ownership over Shazam and Blue Beetle.

shazam-dance.gif

They’re public domain (kinda).

It depends on what country you are in, since US  copyright last much longer then in most other countires.

Copyright protection generally lasts for 70 years after the death of the author. If the work was a "work for hire", then copyright persists for 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever is shorter. For works created before 1978, the copyright duration rules are complicated. However, works published before January 1, 1927 (other than sound recordings), have made their way into the public domain.

ALmost all comic book charecters come under "Work For Hire" so Batman will not be in the public domain for another 40 years or so.

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

I find out in 35 minutes if I'm being laid off or not.

Been a stressful week!

Hope it goes well. I was laid off in 2020 and had to lean on my network to find another job before my visa ran out. It's never a good feeling being in that uncertainty.

What domains do you work in? My current firm is hiring and I can see if you are a fit for any of the positions if the work experience is relevant. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Hope it goes well. I was laid off in 2020 and had to lean on my network to find another job before my visa ran out. It's never a good feeling being in that uncertainty.

What domains do you work in? My current firm is hiring and I can see if you are a fit for any of the positions if the work experience is relevant. 

I work in mortgages. Thankfully I still have a job. My brother also works here but did not make it through the layoffs, so that sucks.

A stress I have never felt before! Truly sucked.

• Like 1