Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

On 7/1/2023 at 11:11 AM, Maggie said:

He's so dumb

But...but he is a real life Tony Stark, man!

IMHO that Time Man Of The Year Award  went to his head, sent his already huge ego past the breaking point, and now Musk really thinks he is some kind of messiah.

Political issues aside, it is almost like he is trying to drive away customers from Twitter by making it so hard to use.

On 6/30/2023 at 5:04 PM, Cappoedameron said:

This also works in the way of if your a business owner and they wanna make a cake that's all about jesus you can tell them to fuck off basically. It goes both ways. 

Also in todays day and age social media is as much a weapon and you can use that against the bigots. Any kind of place that refuses to serve you because of their hatred blast them on social media, that'll really get things going. 

As far as the business can discriminate decision goes, simply fight back with your wallet. Don't take your business there. Make sure they know why you are  going across the street, as the saying goes.

It is idiotic from a pure business point of view because anybody who turns won paying customers for no good reason is an idiot.

14 hours ago, xieh tie said:

Quietly, a number of studios are preparing for a future wihtout a Chinese Market.

Xi and the CCP have been cutting down on the number of Western movies allowed into Chinese Theaters, and with relations between the West and China souring, a total shutoff of the Market might be inevitable.

On 5/3/2023 at 11:25 PM, filmlover said:

I'm mostly curious about who will play Erik and Lyle, because why cast one young hot actor to play an infamous real life murderer (ala Evan Peters and the backlash towards the inexplicably thirsty Internet reaction to his Dahmer portrayal) when you can have two? I can't imagine he'll approach Peters again, dude deserves better than to become typecast as killers that will pop culture will always be fascinated with (both through the real people and through fictional characters obviously inspired by them).

Few days late to the news but they did just cast the actors playing the brothers.

‘Monster 2’: Netflix Ryan Murphy Anthology Series Casts Menendez Brothers – Deadline

They went the complete unknown route cause I've never heard of either of these guys.

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

Few days late to the news but they did just cast the actors playing the brothers.

‘Monster 2’: Netflix Ryan Murphy Anthology Series Casts Menendez Brothers – Deadline

They went the complete unknown route cause I've never heard of either of these guys.

My mom watched all the news magazine shows when I was a kid, and the Menendez murders were a big true crime story for a few years. I just remember hearing the parents' names a lot and the sons being preppy guys with big hair (but it was a wig with one of them, I think?).

The In Popular Culture section on Wikipedia lists a lot of contemporary pop culture references: a "ripped from the headlines" Law & Order episode from 1990, two different TV movies in 1994, plus being "loosely depicted" in Natural Born Killers and Cable Guy parodying the media frenzy of the trial, among other allusions.

Over time, I guess the OJ trial overshadowed it as the "high profile LA-area rich people murder" of the late 1980s-mid 1990s. And that was a MUCH bigger circus, a "trial of the century". But the Menendez case wasn't obscure, and there's been a push with new documentaries (and TikToks!) to reexamine it in recent years.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

6 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

My mom watched all the news magazine shows when I was a kid, and the Menendez murders were a big true crime story for a few years. I just remember hearing the parents' names a lot and the sons being preppy guys with big hair (but it was a wig with one of them, I think?).

The In Popular Culture section on Wikipedia lists a lot of contemporary pop culture references: a "ripped from the headlines" Law & Order episode from 1990, two different TV movies in 1994, plus being "loosely depicted" in Natural Born Killers and Cable Guy parodying the media frenzy of the trial, among other allusions.

Over time, I guess the OJ trial overshadowed it as the "high profile LA-area rich people murder" of the late 1980s-mid 1990s. And that was a MUCH bigger circus, a "trial of the century". But the Menendez case wasn't obscure, and there's been a push with new documentaries (and TikToks!) to reexamine it in recent years.

tbh I don't think we're ever going to see anything like the OJ trial ever again. We have that to thank (or blame, depending on how you look at it) for giving birth to the entire "Reality TV" world that would eventually take over. Certainly there will never be another event in history that spawned as many unlikely "breakout stars," however tangential, as that did. 

Which reminds me that Murphy has cast Kim Kardashian in the upcoming season of American Horror Story (which has officially crossed over to the list of "this is still on?" TV shows). I'm guessing she was a fan of all the scenes depicting the Kardashian kids in People vs. OJ lol.

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

tbh I don't think we're ever going to see anything like the OJ trial ever again. We have that to thank (or blame, depending on how you look at it) for giving birth to the entire "Reality TV" world that would eventually take over. Certainly there will never be another event in history that spawned as many unlikely "breakout stars," however tangential, as that did. 

Which reminds me that Murphy has cast Kim Kardashian in the upcoming season of American Horror Story (which has officially crossed over to the list of "this is still on?" TV shows). I'm guessing she was a fan of all the scenes depicting the Kardashian kids in People vs. OJ lol.

The Kardashian kids got about 3-4 minutes per episode of airtime in that show and people were so outraged! You'd want to discuss Sarah Paulson or Sterling K. Brown's performances or something, but the posts would go and on about how they were so disgusted to see the Ks depicted and that they had ruined pop culture. Like, The Real World was popular before the OJ trial, The Bachelor and Survivor had good 5-7 year head starts on Keeping Up with the Kardashians.  I just think, Kardashians or not, American TV networks were inevitably headed in the direction of cheaper reality programming if they couldn't create the next sitcom sensation.

There were several "trials of the century" in the 20th century before OJ, so I guess you can never say never. The culture is far more fragmented now but life is unpredictable.

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

You have noted that few major criminal trials have been broadcast since. The OJ fiaco offered proof that televising a trial inevitably  distorts the process. 

hought I don't think live broadcasts of a trial qualify as reality TV,Reality TV is something that is staged for TV.The OJ trail was not..though it became a TV spectacle that was not the intent. You would have to consider every single newcast as reality TV.

OF course you can get into a debate about what is reality TV or not. Like is "Dancing With The Stars" reality tv or just a twist on the traditional game/contest talent show? Those date back to the early 1930's whne they were quite popular on radio.

Edited by dudalb

17 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The Kardashian kids got about 3-4 minutes per episode of airtime in that show and people were so outraged! You'd want to discuss Sarah Paulson or Sterling K. Brown's performances or something, but the posts would go and on about how they were so disgusted to see the Ks depicted and that they had ruined pop culture. Like, The Real World was popular before the OJ trial, The Bachelor and Survivor had good 5-7 year head starts on Keeping Up with the Kardashians.  I just think, Kardashians or not, American TV networks were inevitably headed in the direction of cheaper reality programming if they couldn't create the next sitcom sensation.

There were several "trials of the century" in the 20th century before OJ, so I guess you can never say never. The culture is far more fragmented now but life is unpredictable.

The outrage of the Kardashian kids being featured in the show was hilarious, even if it's unlikely they would've been featured nearly as much if not for the fact we all know about their future fame. Reality TV would've likely come to the prominence it would achieve about a decade later one way or another eventually but the OJ trial can be credited with planting that particular seed given that a number of characters from that trial would go on to become reality TV stars (not just the Kardashians, but also people like Faye Resnick and Kato Kaelin). Watching the white Bronco chase as it happened was an an experience that was completely unparalleled at the time (imagine how Twitter would've reacted had it existed back then lmao). People vs. OJ did a perfect job capturing what seeing that insanity unfold in real time was exactly like. It will always be funny to me that Dominos made more money off of that then they did from the Super Bowl that year.

I already can't claim to be excited for whatever direction they're going with for the Menendez Bros season of Monster after the outrage surrounding season one (in particular, the Internet developing a Jeffrey Dahmer obsession - not with Evan Peters the actor as Dahmer, but the actual Dahmer himself - and all the kids who went as him for Halloween because of the popularity of the show), but I'm glad that they went with unknowns (since the age of the brothers at the time of the crime limited the number of age-appropriate actors). Who knows, maybe these guys are looking at David Corenswet going from first rising to semi-prominence on a pair of Murphy-backed shows to winning the superhero role of a lifetime and hoping the Murphy magic will similarly pay off for them down the road.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

So will we be able to embed threads' posts here soon?

Threads needs 3 minor changes to actually take down Twitter

1. Make searching by keyword possible

2. Add trending topics

3. Add a timeline of only people you follow

If these 3 updates are made, it will be #1 by a month.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Threads needs 3 minor changes to actually take down Twitter

1. Make searching by keyword possible

2. Add trending topics

3. Add a timeline of only people you follow

If these 3 updates are made, it will be #1 by a month.

Make it available in Europe.

Make it available for Desktop users

It doesn't have searching by keyword? That's a shame. I really liked that feature on Twitter

Edited by Maggie