Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Fuck this fucking small town and their lack of good movies playing. Downsizing and fucking Father Figures. I'd have to drive 45 minutes to see even Greatest Showman, and hour and a half each way for Darkest Hour or Shape of Water, and 3 Billboards only played like 3.5 hours away.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Fuck this fucking small town and their lack of good movies playing. Downsizing and fucking Father Figures. I'd have to drive 45 minutes to see even Greatest Showman, and hour and a half each way for Darkest Hour or Shape of Water, and 3 Billboards only played like 3.5 hours away.

This makes me more a little grateful for the options I have around here :lol: How often do you have to drive 45 minutes to see a movie?

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

My sincere sympathy to the younglings born and raised in the middle of nowhere.

Takes 10 minutes to get to two big theaters near me.  25 minutes for our art house theater.  25 minutes for an IMAX screen.  15 minutes for a discount theater.   1 hour to get to a theater that plays platform releases (for example, I, Tonya or The Post right now) if I want to see it earlier.  If not, wait a few weeks or so and it’ll be at my theater.

I’m pretty well off where I live

• Like 2

I moved back to my hometown, which typically doesn't play anything that isn't in at least 1,000 theaters and hasn't shown an A24 release since Ex Machina. There are theaters anywhere from 45-120 minutes away that get these movies earlier and are also located around some shopping centers (i.e. I'm not going as far as four hours round-trip for a movie and nothing else), and that's the only reason why Lady Bird and The Shape of Water are on my top ten list at the moment.

45 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This makes me more a little grateful for the options I have around here :lol: How often do you have to drive 45 minutes to see a movie?

i don't very often, mainly because the seats at that theatre are utter shit. This year I watched Hidden Figures, Dog's Purpose, Gifted, and a few others I can't list off the top of my head. The one that's an hour and a half away I rarely go to unless me or my family are already there since there is a huge shopping mall right accross the street that we go to every few months. The good thing is though that I get free movies at both of these theatres.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Takes 10 minutes to get to two big theaters near me.  25 minutes for our art house theater.  25 minutes for an IMAX screen.  15 minutes for a discount theater.   1 hour to get to a theater that plays platform releases (for example, I, Tonya or The Post right now) if I want to see it earlier.  If not, wait a few weeks or so and it’ll be at my theater.

I’m pretty well off where I live

I would kill for that :lol: This is what I deal with in my county:

The 12plex AMC 10 minutes away

Three locally-owned 8plexes 20-30 minutes away that share movies. I would only consider the newest one a good theater because one hasn't replaced their seats since they opened 12 years ago and the other is terrible all around (and this one unfortunately gets most indies). None of them have online ticketing of any kind, which is annoying as fuck because the box office gets long lines

A 16plex Epic (regional chain in the southeast) 40 minutes away. They can get indies that are in under 600 theaters depending on what else is out, but it's really poorly maintained. I haven't been here in a few years, but apparently it's gotten even worse.

There's a new 12plex Epic with two PLF screens opening twenty minutes away in March, but that'll have a limited selection of movies when two screens are restricted to blockbusters. I can't wait until I'm off to a university in August where there are plenty of theaters nearby.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

How bad are the theaters close to you? I know you hate one of them after your showing of Apes got fucked up.

that theater is pretty solid actually when they don’t fuck up.  it’s good because it’s nearby, they generally play a lot of indie films, and it’s in a nice area.  plus it’s never crowded unless it’s a horror movie or a film that attracts the geriatric crowd

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1