Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Just now, AJG said:

All the songs sound the same it's fucking ridiculous. I got 12 songs deep, saw it had 12 more tracks and gave up.

i don't know what it is with every hip hop album feeling like it needs to go on for 20+ tracks/75 minutes. 

• Like 1

btw i booked my ticket to see darkest hour this evening. earlier was thinking nah don't need to book but i just checked and there were only seven available seats. luckily one left in the back row so i grabbed that. but still geez. lots of olds round here so i shouldn't be too surprised. it's an arts centre cinema the only other time i went to this cinema and it was particularly packed was when i saw the imitation game.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

btw i booked my ticket to see darkest hour this evening. earlier was thinking nah don't need to book but i just checked and there were only seven available seats. luckily one left in the back row so i grabbed that. but still geez. lots of olds round here so i shouldn't be too surprised. it's an arts centre cinema the only other time i went to this cinema and it was particularly packed was when i saw the imitation game.

I am eagerly anticipating your thoughts on a scene towards the end of the film.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your input.  I've cooled off a bit and will be meeting with the counselor Monday.

11 hours ago, DAJK said:

Teachers telling us that they only way to get into a good school was to have advanced calculus on your transcript.

If you want to get into a top tech school like MIT or Caltech then yes... it would help to load up on advanced math classes.

If you're trying to get into Ivy League school then showing a lot of advanced classes could help.

But for 90% of the schools I would contend that high GPA/SAT/ACT plus being well rounded outside of school helps more.  Taking 4-5 AP classes your senior year could be a recipe for disaster.

But the funny thing is he kinda is trying to do that just in a different field.

Auditioning for, and being chosen for the competitive choir his sophomore year would be huge when auditioning for theater programs.  Not getting in his sophomore year but taking regular choir would be a big help in his junior year.  Using his freshman/sophomore year electives all on theater classes helps him get into the audition only "Production Class" which would be big if he can do that for 2 years.

The 80s/90s fear that our kids are not getting educated has created an overreaction towards forcing a lot English/Math/Science/History.

6 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Well I love math. I think it's fun. I find it mostly pretty easy (except Geometry. Fuck that shit) so I've always enjoyed taking the upper level math classes for no other reason than it's just fun for me. Now on the flip side I've stuck to not doing the highest level English classes because that's not as enjoyable for me.

I also loved math and took the highest level of classes my HS had. ( college Alg/Trig and pre-calc was the highest ).  In college I jumped the normal freshman math ( a pre-calc ) straight into calculus. As it turned out my 'ap' level high math classes did not teach me what I needed and I struggled in Calc I and realized I knew little Trig in Calc II.

In retrospect I would have been better off just taking the 1st level college algebra/pre-calc class as a freshman. 

6 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

All in all if there is a particular subject he would like to stay in the highest level in because he has a particular interest in it then I would encourage that but I think doing advanced everything is a needless waste. If there is an elective that interests that he could fill the day with instead of another "academic" class then he should go for it. Spread the love. Try new things. 

Yep... I agree.

4 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Stick to your guns - helping your child figure out who he/she is and what he/she wants to do in life before he/she hits college is the most useful thing you can do for them.  College degrees aren't cheap, and having to redo them or being stuck in a hated industry b/c that's impossible - who wants to set their kid up for that?:)

Yep.  They have a ton of electives in all types of different fields.  HS is the perfect time for him to find out if he is interested in business, economics, science, computers and so forth.

In my time you when you went to college you could just take the core classes while you determined what to major in.  It is more challenging these days.  The degrees that I've looked at require specific core class to be taken.  For example the CS degree requires specific math/science core classes... the business degrees require specific English classes.

At least with the BS degrees you don't have a lot of credits to spend on fluff classes... it helps to have a good idea of what you want to do going in.

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I started taking college classes at my community college in my "junior" year of high school for a few reasons. The primary reason was to graduate early because each semester of English in college fulfilled a full high school credit. Political Science and Macroeconomics completed my social science credits, and I took Microeconomics as an elective. For high school classes, I was a year ahead in math, and I was able to complete chemistry and physics in one semester each. I was in a local orchestra for a few years, so that also filled up elective hours. Taking college classes let my graduate high school a year early, and I've been in CC full time since the fall. 

Initially, I was opposed to going to community college. I wanted to start college fresh at a university, but my mom wanted to save money. Plus, I had been homeschooled for nearly 7 years without a whole lot of social interaction (especially in the last 2-3 years before CC), so going to community college was necessary to build up my social skills (which are still..... a work in progress).

In your case it makes a lot of sense.  however in general I'm not a fan of trying to get through HS/College as fast as possible.   That time is not just for learning industry skills... it's for personal and social growth.

Certainly with how expensive college is these days it makes sense to gain some college credits for free.

I don't think that going to a CC or small college for a year or 2 is a bad idea.  Not just for cost but 100/200 level classes at larger universities are crazy huge and impersonal.  I had 30 people in my calc class at a small university.  I had 100+ when I retook it at the University of Colorado.  Never talked to my professor once.

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Personally, I would push your son to take some upper level classes. He doesn't have to do them full time, but they can help him become acclimated to the "college environment" (depending on the school; no CC is a substitute for a university) and give him a head start.

My goal is not to put him in all easy basket weaving classes.  He jumped a level in history, math, science and language.  Even if he only takes 3 years of math he'll being taking college level algebra and trig.  He'll be taking bio/chem/physics we to me is enough in HS.  And of course he will be taking AP computer science (maybe) and high-level theater/choir classes.

I'm just trying to break him out of the typical pre-planned class route they're trying to fit him in for his level into one that better prepares him for what he wants to do in college. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, The Last AndyLL said:

Thanks all for your input.  I've cooled off a bit and will be meeting with the counselor Monday.

If you want to get into a top tech school like MIT or Caltech then yes... it would help to load up on advanced math classes.

If you're trying to get into Ivy League school then showing a lot of advanced classes could help.

But for 90% of the schools I would contend that high GPA/SAT/ACT plus being well rounded outside of school helps more.  Taking 4-5 AP classes your senior year could be a recipe for disaster.

But the funny thing is he kinda is trying to do that just in a different field.

Auditioning for, and being chosen for the competitive choir his sophomore year would be huge when auditioning for theater programs.  Not getting in his sophomore year but taking regular choir would be a big help in his junior year.  Using his freshman/sophomore year electives all on theater classes helps him get into the audition only "Production Class" which would be big if he can do that for 2 years.

The 80s/90s fear that our kids are not getting educated has created an overreaction towards forcing a lot English/Math/Science/History.

I also loved math and took the highest level of classes my HS had. ( college Alg/Trig and pre-calc was the highest ).  In college I jumped the normal freshman math ( a pre-calc ) straight into calculus. As it turned out my 'ap' level high math classes did not teach me what I needed and I struggled in Calc I and realized I knew little Trig in Calc II.

In retrospect I would have been better off just taking the 1st level college algebra/pre-calc class as a freshman. 

Yep... I agree.

Yep.  They have a ton of electives in all types of different fields.  HS is the perfect time for him to find out if he is interested in business, economics, science, computers and so forth.

In my time you when you went to college you could just take the core classes while you determined what to major in.  It is more challenging these days.  The degrees that I've looked at require specific core class to be taken.  For example the CS degree requires specific math/science core classes... the business degrees require specific English classes.

At least with the BS degrees you don't have a lot of credits to spend on fluff classes... it helps to have a good idea of what you want to do going in.

In your case it makes a lot of sense.  however in general I'm not a fan of trying to get through HS/College as fast as possible.   That time is not just for learning industry skills... it's for personal and social growth.

Certainly with how expensive college is these days it makes sense to gain some college credits for free.

I don't think that going to a CC or small college for a year or 2 is a bad idea.  Not just for cost but 100/200 level classes at larger universities are crazy huge and impersonal.  I had 30 people in my calc class at a small university.  I had 100+ when I retook it at the University of Colorado.  Never talked to my professor once.

My goal is not to put him in all easy basket weaving classes.  He jumped a level in history, math, science and language.  Even if he only takes 3 years of math he'll being taking college level algebra and trig.  He'll be taking bio/chem/physics we to me is enough in HS.  And of course he will be taking AP computer science (maybe) and high-level theater/choir classes.

I'm just trying to break him out of the typical pre-planned class route they're trying to fit him in for his level into one that better prepares him for what he wants to do in college. 

My auntie works under the head of admissions at UBC and she says they have a term for people who are just full of advanced academic classes and no well-rounded lives outside of that. Twinkies. They throw all their eggs into academics but they crash and burn upon entering post-secondary because they have had nothing with their lives besides academics. Not all of them of course, but enough for the admissions department to coin the term. 

• Like 2

I'm seeing Phantom Thread tonight (and will be all done seeing the Oscar nominees after that) and have been monitoring how the Oscar movies are doing and Dunkirk has been selling jack all day (Three Billboards, Shape of Water, CMBYN, Lady Bird, and even Darkest Hour are having or are about to have sell-outs throughout the day in small auditoriums and will continue to do so throughout the weekend). I hope WB didn't give it a 1,000+ theater re-release cause that PTA is gonna be hilariously microscopic. :lol:

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Blanks, the girl who rejected me and her boyfriend literally sit right behind me in one of my classes (if you're wondering why I was whining about seeing so many people I know in classes the other week, here's the other part of the pie :lol: ). There's still a bit of awkward stigma being near her, but I ignore her as best as I can. If you see her in the audience one day or are in the same social setting, just focus on other things and R E L A X. Stop worrying so much, and you'll be in a better state of mind.

you don't get my situation lol

I literally wrote a play about the situation of me feeling awkward about her and I know if she was in the audience I would've awkwardly been questioned afterwards - as friends - who the girl the play was talking about was lol

• Astonished 1

Just now, Poe Blankeron said:

you don't get my situation lol

I literally wrote a play about the situation of me feeling awkward about her and I know if she was in the audience I would've awkwardly been questioned afterwards - as friends - who the girl the play was talking about was lol

Oh.

Well.

Er.

Is that going to be the only performance of the play?

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Oh.

Well.

Er.

Is that going to be the only performance of the play?

thankfully lmao

(It's not like I use her name - or even my name - in it. It's just something where we told to write something "unapologetic" and I decided to make an awkwardly super personal play)

• Like 1

Just now, Poe Blankeron said:

thankfully lmao

(It's not like I use her name - or even my name - in it. It's just something where we told to write something "unapologetic" and I decided to make an awkwardly super personal play)

Have you ever been up front about your feelings towards her? If she's a good friend (POTENTIALLY BAD ADVICE INCOMING), I'm sure she'd understand. Getting things off your chest might be for the best.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Have you ever been up front about your feelings towards her? If she's a good friend (POTENTIALLY BAD ADVICE INCOMING), I'm sure she'd understand. Getting things off your chest might be for the best.

No but I honestly don't see her much this semester. I legitimately don't have a class with her :(

• Like 1

HBO acquired The Tale, so RIP Laura Dern's Oscar chances this year http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-tale-laura-dern-movie-hbo-films-deal-sundance-1202270488/

I'm guessing they'll premiere it in April or May for the Emmys because they aren't premiering Sharp Objects until June.

Edited by WrathOfHan