That One Girl

Pet Sematary | April 5, 2019 | Paramount | Kevin Kolsch and Dennis Widmyer (Starry Eyes) to direct

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Sometimes i wish we would live in a time where people just go to the movies they're excited for and see for themselves if they like it or not. This review-obsession in these last few years isnt good i think.

I only think that's really true for people that frequent movie blogs though and less the general audience. 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I wouldn’t call 71% for a horror remake mediocre. 

Yeh I think long term horror fans don’t care. We’ve had decades of our favourite genre being trashed by critics. 

Different people find different things scary, it’s only natural. But critics often slate films for being formulaic (horror fans love the big franchises, critics hate them) or overlook the fun factor completely (they don’t have to be serious and scary).  

I'm a long term Horror fan and I do care about reviews because they're the difference between a niche movie and a movie that cross over with GA. If it weren't for the amount of well received Horror movies released back in 2016/2017, the genre would've never become so popular as it is right now. If you were happy with the way that the genre was seen back in the last decade (with trash reviews, awful legs and an awful reception to pretty much every movie, to not mention the complete lack of creativity) that's up to you. But I want to see the genre being the more successful and acclaimed as it's possible. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

I'm a long term Horror fan and I do care about reviews because they're the difference between a niche movie and a movie that cross over with GA. If it weren't for the amount of well received Horror movies released back in 2016/2017, the genre would've never become so popular as it is right now. If you were happy with the way that the genre was seen back in the last decade (with trash reviews, awful legs and an awful reception to pretty much every movie, to not mention the complete lack of creativity) that's up to you. But I want to see the genre being the more successful and acclaimed as it's possible. 

If you’re a fan, you shouldn’t let other people’s opinions ruin movies for you or taint your view of the genre.

Horror has been successful for decades. Huge success for genres comes in cycles, always has done and always will I’m sure. 

Your comment about trash reviews and trash reception for every movie is just plain dumb, so it doesn’t warrant a response. 

Like I said, long term horror fans usually are more forgiving. 

Reviews and the financial success of horror movies don’t always go hand in hand. Babadook, It Follows and Witch got critical raves, audiences didn’t bother going to see them. The Nun made $350m+ with an RT score in the 20’s. 

If you think Halloween broke out the way it did because of the reviews, not 10 years worth of audiences getting older and being fans of the franchise, then I don’t know what to tell you lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

If you’re a fan, you shouldn’t let other people’s opinions ruin movies for you or taint your view of the genre.

Horror has been successful for decades. Huge success for genres comes in cycles, always has done and always will I’m sure. 

Your comment about trash reviews and trash reception for every movie is just plain dumb, so it doesn’t warrant a response. 

Like I said, long term horror fans usually are more forgiving. 

Reviews and the financial success of horror movies don’t always go hand in hand. Babadook, It Follows and Witch got critical raves, audiences didn’t bother going to see them. The Nun made $350m+ with an RT score in the 20’s. 

If you think Halloween broke out the way it did because of the reviews, not 10 years worth of audiences getting older and being fans of the franchise, then I don’t know what to tell you lol. 

1. I've never said I let others opinions stop me from watching an Horror movie, I watch these movies even if they get a 0% at RT, all that I said is that I like to see well reviewed movies because they help these movies to break out and gives credibility to the genre, what's wrong with this?

2. Few years ago, most of Horror movies ended below $100m DOM, something like $150m was almost unheard of for the genre, now, since 2017, we had 5 movies crossing the $150m mark, what's the similarity between them? They're all well received by critics. If you can't see what good reviews did for the genre, then you're blind.

3. I'm absolutely right about the genre being bigger than ever thanks to strong critical and audience acclamation alike. The numbers says it all.

4. Lmfao. Babadook had a limited release and both IF and TW were the opposite of mainstream movies. I'm obviously talking about mainstream movies here, you can't make a movie about the 'monster of depression' and expect it to become a blockbuster just because it gets great reviews, it needs to have appeal first and then great reviews will boost the interest.

5. The Nun is part of the biggest Horror franchise of all time, and it still got hurt by reviews since it had room to do even more. If it were an original movie, it wouldn't have done half of these numbers.

6. Halloween sold basically the same amount of the tickets of the original one which shows it definitely brought people outside of the fandom, and these persons wouldn't show up if it got a 20% on RT.

I get your point, you're one of these really old school Horror fans that thinks there's no problem with movies getting trash reception because people still support them, right? It was that kind of mediocre thinking that made the genre suffer for years with several lazy and cash grabs remakes and sequels being released for years.

Fortunately, things has changed, and studios noticed that you can make a lot more than just a small profit on a Horror movie if you actually put some effort on it.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

1. I've never said I let others opinions stop me from watching an Horror movie, I watch these movies even if they get a 0% at RT, all that I said is that I like to see well reviewed movies because they help these movies to break out and gives credibility to the genre, what's wrong with this?

2. Few years ago, most of Horror movies ended below $100m DOM, something like $150m was almost unheard of for the genre, now, since 2017, we had 5 movies crossing the $150m mark, what's the similarity between them? They're all well received by critics. If you can't see what good reviews did for the genre, then you're blind.

3. I'm absolutely right about the genre being bigger than ever thanks to strong critical and audience acclamation alike. The numbers says it all.

4. Lmfao. Babadook had a limited release and both IF and TW were the opposite of mainstream movies. I'm obviously talking about mainstream movies here, you can't make a movie about the 'monster of depression' and expect it to become a blockbuster just because it gets great reviews, it needs to have appeal first and then great reviews will boost the interest.

5. The Nun is part of the biggest Horror franchise of all time, and it still got hurt by reviews since it had room to do even more. If it were an original movie, it wouldn't have done half of these numbers.

6. Halloween sold basically the same amount of the tickets of the original one which shows it definitely brought people outside of the fandom, and these persons wouldn't show up if it got a 20% on RT.

I get your point, you're one of these really old school Horror fans that thinks there's no problem with movies getting trash reception because people still support them, right? It was that kind of mediocre thinking that made the genre suffer for years with several lazy and cash grabs remakes and sequels being released for years.

Fortunately, things has changed, and studios noticed that you can make a lot more than just a small profit on a Horror movie if you actually put some effort on it.

1. You said you care about reviews because it’s the difference between the films crossing over to the GA, which is false. General audiences really don’t put as much stock into rotten tomatoes as online movie fans do. 

2. You have to adjust for inflation too. Audiences are also growing up, and those who previously couldn’t go to the cinema to see them are now going with their friends. Reviews have helped, but so have companies like Blumhouse, Universal and WB having confidence and spending more on releases, which are alrady very high profile (IT, Halloween, Get Out follow up)

3. Fans have always shown up though, the badly reviewed remakes were big hits for their time. Again inflation and changing times. You say the numbers say it all, but The Nun is one of the biggest ever worldwide and R rated domestically, it released in 2018, and its 20% on RT. 

4. So you say they already need to have a mass appeal? Doesn’t that diminish the requirement for excellent reviews slightly? 

5. The Nun had the potential to do even more? It’s the most successful film in its 6 year franchise. 

6. Halloween was released in 1978, 40 years ago. I’m pretty sure lots of it’s audience have moved on and it was a new generation that made up a big chunk of this one. Also known as: people who grew up watching the franchise and weren’t necessarily old enough to see them in cinemas. Franchise had a 9 year break. 

48 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Really old school? I’m 30 lol.

I’ve loved horror since I was a kid and certainly wasn’t reading the newspaper to see if Urban Legend had a good review before I rented it 😂

Hmm. The reason we got so many remakes is because they kept on making money. Saw was a horror staple in the 00’s and it was rotten from day 1. 

The horror community still love films that critics have despised..... for decades. Franchises like Friday the 13th, ANOES, Halloween, Childs Play, Texas Chainsaw Massacre that critics deserted after the originals, 99% of slasher films, foreign films, B movies, gore films etc. 

20 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

1. You said you care about reviews because it’s the difference between the films crossing over to the GA, which is false. General audiences really don’t put as much stock into rotten tomatoes as online movie fans do. 

2. You have to adjust for inflation too. Audiences are also growing up, and those who previously couldn’t go to the cinema to see them are now going with their friends. Reviews have helped, but so have companies like Blumhouse, Universal and WB having confidence and spending more on releases, which are alrady very high profile (IT, Halloween, Get Out follow up)

3. Fans have always shown up though, the badly reviewed remakes were big hits for their time. Again inflation and changing times. You say the numbers say it all, but The Nun is one of the biggest ever worldwide and R rated domestically, it released in 2018, and its 20% on RT. 

4. So you say they already need to have a mass appeal? Doesn’t that diminish the requirement for excellent reviews slightly? 

5. The Nun had the potential to do even more? It’s the most successful film in its 6 year franchise. 

6. Halloween was released in 1978, 40 years ago. I’m pretty sure lots of it’s audience have moved on and it was a new generation that made up a big chunk of this one. Also known as: people who grew up watching the franchise and weren’t necessarily old enough to see them in cinemas. Franchise had a 9 year break. 

1. So, do you think it's a coincidence that every single Horror breakout for the past 3 years had a strong RT score? 

2. Not sure if I got this argument? Do you believe the reason why Horror movies are exploding lately is because audiences grown up and are supporting it? Ha? Why people that grown up during the early 2000s didn't show the same support back in the beginning of this decade when most of Horror movies were struggling to reach $50m? Companies are spending more in marketing because these movies aren't a niche market anymore.

3. Once again, TN was part of the biggest Horror franchise of all time, if it were an original movie, it would've come close to these numbers.

4. I said it's a blend of mainstream appeal AND great reviews to boost the interest. Why's so hard to see this? 

5. It's OW would've brought at least $130m DOM if reviews were decent, it also was hurt by the reviews during the OW, pre-sales pointed to something far bigger than $52m but it had weak walkup thanks to reviews. 

6. You just said the reason why Halloween exploded was because old fans were hunger for the movie.....

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Really old school? I’m 30 lol.

I’ve loved horror since I was a kid and certainly wasn’t reading the newspaper to see if Urban Legend had a good review before I rented it 😂

Hmm. The reason we got so many remakes is because they kept on making money. Saw was a horror staple in the 00’s and it was rotten from day 1. 

The horror community still love films that critics have despised..... for decades. Franchises like Friday the 13th, ANOES, Halloween, Childs Play, Texas Chainsaw Massacre that critics deserted after the originals, 99% of slasher films, foreign films, B movies, gore films etc. 

That’s great, I love these movies too. But we’re talking about the current Horror landscape. RT had zero impact on old franchise, it definitely has these days.

14 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

1. So, do you think it's a coincidence that every single Horror breakout for the past 3 years had a strong RT score? False: The Nun. 

2. Not sure if I got this argument? Do you believe the reason why Horror movies are exploding lately is because audiences grown up and are supporting it? Ha? Why people that grown up during the early 2000s didn't show the same support back in the beginning of this decade when most of Horror movies were struggling to reach $50m? Companies are spending more in marketing because these movies aren't a niche market anymore.

Yeh I think the point went over your head. See some the audience that were kids watching these films on DVD? They’re in the cinema now. 10 years is the difference between an 8 and 18 year old. That’s pretty simple. 

3. Once again, TN was part of the biggest Horror franchise of all time, if it were an original movie, it would've come close to these numbers. No evidence of this 

4. I said it's a blend of mainstream appeal AND great reviews to boost the interest. Why's so hard to see this? Because The Nun had mainstream appeal and shit reviews and is one of the biggest ever.

5. It's OW would've brought at least $130m DOM if reviews were decent, it also was hurt by the reviews during the OW, pre-sales pointed to something far bigger than $52m but it had weak walkup thanks to reviews. 

Halloween had terrible legs and great reviews. Horror fans rush out, always have done unless it plays older 

6. You just said the reason why Halloween exploded was because old fans were hunger for the movie....

correct 

12 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

That’s great, I love these movies too. But we’re talking about the current Horror landscape. RT had zero impact on old franchise, it definitely has these days.

Nah, only for some people, clearly. 

Halloween had terrible legs and great reviews.

The Nun had terrible reviews and legs. 

They both made a fortune. In fact, The Nun made much more. Both R rated.

Your only evidence about a Horror movie managing to break out despite bad reviews is THE NUN, despite the fact that I already explained why it did this: It's part of the biggest Horror franchise ever, it was coming after two highly liked movies, and she was the breakout of TC2. 

And even in this example, you can still feel that RT hurt it, since it grossed less than it would've done if it had been well reviewed.

Halloween was front loaded because it's a slasher, and these movies are always front-loaded.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

About an hour or so of this is just mediocre, functionally hitting the story's beats without inspiration or force, but then the final third bastardizes the novel and its ideas so mindlessly and completely it's outright nauseating. 

Man, that's very disappointing. I was actually planning on seeing it this weekend.

6 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Your only evidence about a Horror movie managing to break out despite bad reviews is THE NUN, despite the fact that I already explained why it did this: It's part of the biggest Horror franchise ever, it was coming after two highly liked movies, and she was the breakout of TC2. Well you’re only talking recent examples and there aren’t many horror movies over $100m, which is what you consider a hit. 

And even in this example, you can still feel that RT hurt it, since it grossed less than it would've done if it had been well reviewed.

Halloween was front loaded because it's a slasher, and these movies are always front-loaded.

So now we’re bending the examples again to exclude slashers lol. 

You’re basically only using IT, Get Out and Us as examples aren’t you?? Because they suit your agenda. 

This is just not a story whose core is easy to сarry over into a commercial horror movie. You could argue it's not even possible. The novel goes into some dark, dark territory and you lose the whole point if you try to soften that, but both the '89 movie and this go chickenshit at key points.

• Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

So now we’re bending the examples again to exclude slashers lol. 

You’re basically only using IT, Get Out and Us as examples aren’t you?? Because they suit your agenda. 

- The Conjuring 2, Don’t Breathe, Split, Get Out, Annabelle: Creation, IT, A Quiet Place, US, they all fit my point. 

• Thanks 1

Honestly, Kriss, it's a waste of time arguing with you, I know you since the BOM days and you refuse to accept when you're wrong.

All that I said is that well reviewed Horror movies manages to cross over with GA, and help to bring credibility for the genre, something I thought it was OBVIOUS.

And yet, you keep bringing old franchises to claim that Horror fans doesn't give a shit about quality and that studios can keep producing shit movie that it's ok because fans will support it. 

Phew.

My two cents. I love 80's horror but besides for a few movies 90's and early 2000's horror was trash. I do think that horror movies have gotten better than that dark period and I am forever grateful. 15 years ago I don't think that there was any chance of any studio treating another adaption of IT like much of a real film. The Conjuring breaking out after proto Conjuring Insidious success was such a blessing for the genre. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

My two cents. I love 80's horror but besides for a few movies 90's and early 2000's horror was trash. I do think that horror movies have gotten better than that dark period and I am forever grateful. 15 years ago I don't think that there was any chance of any studio treating another adaption of IT like much of a real film. The Conjuring breaking out after proto Conjuring Insidious success was such a blessing for the genre. 

THANK YOU! I was getting crazy here thinking I was the only one seeing how being well received by critics helped the genre to explode in the past few years. 

10 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Honestly, Kriss, it's a waste of time arguing with you, I know you since the BOM days and you refuse to accept when you're wrong.

All that I said is that well reviewed Horror movies manages to cross over with GA, and help to bring credibility for the genre, something I thought it was OBVIOUS.

And yet, you keep bringing old franchises to claim that Horror fans doesn't give a shit about quality and that studios can keep producing shit movie that it's ok because fans will support it. 

Phew.

I don’t refuse to accept when I’m wrong. I think that’s your problem and why you lost your responses to each comment, hence why I’ve been replying that way. You tout your personal opinions around like their facts in every thread. 

You say in bring old franchises into it but you’re being very selective in your examples, ignoring the films that aren’t convenient in driving your point home. 

I’m out with that too, thanks!