That One Girl

Pet Sematary | April 5, 2019 | Paramount | Kevin Kolsch and Dennis Widmyer (Starry Eyes) to direct

Forgot about this film till last Friday when i watched Us and the new trailer came. Looked very spoilery but at the same time ... good? So im really happy to see these good reviews now. 2019 could be yet another banner year for horror films.

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Forgot about this film till last Friday when i watched Us and the new trailer came. Looked very spoilery but at the same time ... good? So im really happy to see these good reviews now. 2019 could be yet another banner year for horror films.

PS is currently 91% on RT from 34 reviews so it definitely isn't a turkey. I'm gonna check it out. Love the book but think that making Ellie the zombie is a better idea than Gage the homicidal undead toddler lmao! 

Edited by Valonqar

The original was broadcasted on TV yesterday and I saw it for the first time. It was way darker and more graphic than I thought. Overall a good horror movie IMO, especially from the atmosphere. I found it scary (and the story itself is terrible enough).

It was also a bit disgusting from some impressions, the special effects are probably ok for that year but some didn't completely convince me (e.g. the eyes of the cat made me rather grin) and some decisions were pretty stupid. My first complain was why on earth would parents with little children choose such a house directly beside a busy street. Did they never visit it before? But otherwise all these things wouldn't happen of course.
During the film the trailer for the new movie was shown. They seem to change some things which is good because otherwise it could be boring to watch now (a few weeks ago the old and the new Omen was broadcasted and so similar that I quitted to watch the new until the end). And I like the good reviews.
I'm interested for sure.

Edited by el sid

So happy this is doing well critically so far. It would have been easy to assume "Paramount? This is going to be a terrible It knockoff" but clearly this is looking like a great film! 

I'm doing a personal double feature this weekend of Shazam! and Pet Sematary. Going to be a good time at the movies. :)

Im really rooting for this to be another horror breakout, but with Us still going strong it may be a "relative" underperformer. A mid 20s opening would mean a 50-65M total, not bad, but not great either.

Id really love to be wrong though. Everything above a 35M OW would make me very happy.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Im really rooting for this to be another horror breakout, but with Us still going strong it may be a "relative" underperformer. A mid 20s opening would mean a 50-65M total, not bad, but not great either.

Id really love to be wrong though. Everything above a 35M OW would make me very happy.

I think that they could coexist.

Coincidentally, Peele's last horror film managed not just to coexist with but to actually surpass another horror film that opened and became a smash weeks before. Spider-Man: Homecoming also thrived despite opening a month after the still-smashing Wonder Woman, which itself opened 4 weeks after GOTG 2, a huge hit also. 

I think that audiences are not necessarily going to not watch an appealing film just because a film of the same genre is still going strong at the box office.

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh I think it was tracking at $24-28m anyway. 

Seeing this in four hours. Excited! 

It was Awesome. 

Dark, sad, scary, grim, depressing and so tense. 

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

please PM the spoilers! :)

Really? :o