Impact

2012-Best Actress thread!

She's supposed to be outstanding in Rust & Bone.

Yeah there's about 20 outstanding performances a year and only 5 spots. And sometimes people get in for shit as well. Not that she isn't outstanding in the film. But there's just performances that are so much better or have so much more buzz than Cotillard.

You guys think Cotillard could actually win another one?

It's not just the performance but the politics and Cottliard is gonna go hard campaigning and is a former winner while Riva is not even in the country. So I think she has advantage there over her French counterpart. Experts seem to like her a lot. Really don't think she'll win but for sure nominated. Edited by JackO

There were 20 strong Best Actress contenders last year, this year I can't count more than 10 with any sort of buzz. Lawrence, Wallis, Mirren, Cotillard, Riva, Chastain, Knightley, Streep, Watts and Winstead. I'd say Cotillard definitely has a better chance than the last four in that list. All we really need now is some strong, reliable word about Chastain's work.

Edited by Jake Gittes

It's not just the performance but the politics and Cottliard is gonna go hard campaigning and is a former winner while Riva is not even in the country. So I think she has advantage there over her French counterpart. Experts seem to like her a lot. Really don't think she'll win but for sure nominated.

Her French counterpart will be saved by the critics. I'm thinking that she'll win 3 of the 4 big ones. NYFCC, NSFC, and LAFCC.

Her French counterpart will be saved by the critics. I'm thinking that she'll win 3 of the 4 big ones. NYFCC, NSFC, and LAFCC.

Probably but I am expecting Master to do better then Les Mis in some precursors, most notably in New York. I think precursors might throw some distractions this year instead of tea leaves because there are sooo many great films.

Probably but I am expecting Master to do better then Les Mis in some precursors, most notably in New York. I think precursors might throw some distractions this year instead of tea leaves because there are sooo many great films.

Les Mis probably won't hit NY, it's a bit early and Les Mis still hasn't screened yet. I think that NBR will go Argo. NSFC and LA go Amour. With NYFCC either Argo, or SLP. The Master and Amour would be among the runners ups for NY.I don't expect Master to pick up a big Critics Award but it's not unlikely. I just don't think so at this time.

Les Mis probably won't hit NY, it's a bit early and Les Mis still hasn't screened yet.I think that NBR will go Argo. NSFC and LA go Amour. With NYFCC either Argo, or SLP. The Master and Amour would be among the runners ups for NY.I don't expect Master to pick up a big Critics Award but it's not unlikely. I just don't think so at this time.

Can't believe it is happening in 2 weeks already