That One Girl

BLUMHOUSE'S TRUTH OR DARE | April 13, 2018 | Universal | Lucy Hale, Tyler Posey

Happy Death Day was also a horror comedy aimed at younger teens. I see no problem with the PG13 rating. 

Some PG13 films are rated 15 here in the U.K. anyway, which is the same as most R rated films. It just doesn’t make a difference anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

If it’s aimed at teens shouldn’t it go R rated. Aren’t R rated horror films the most popular genre between 13-17 year olds?

But the 13, 14, 15 and 16 year olds can’t go without someone over 17 can they? 

If they sneak in, the film doesn’t get the money (if they don’t buy a ticket). 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

But the 13, 14, 15 and 16 year olds can’t go without someone over 17 can they? 

If they sneak in, the film doesn’t get the money (if they don’t buy a ticket). 

Dunno but there was an article last year saying 13-17 year olds where going to R rated horror films more than any other genre. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-it-transforms-a-teen-sensation-r-rating-1040962

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Still rated R and still made over 100 million which R rated horror films aren’t supposed to do. 

Who said they weren’t ? It’s great that R rated Horror is thriving but that doesn’t mean that PG-13 Horror films can’t as well. 

21 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Annabelle Creation

21 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Annabelle: Creation but it was more of a soft R anyway. 

Fair enough yea. I'll give you that one a bit more than the other two as it was more of a genuine creepy movie that did well/had the legs it did at least in part due to quality.

But it had brand power, a franchise which has collectively grossed 300M domestically before A:C even came out. That's got to have more to do with it than the R rating

• Like 1

Just now, DAJK said:

Fair enough yea. I'll give you that one a bit more than the other two as it was more of a genuine creepy movie that did well/had the legs it did at least in part due to quality.

But it had brand power, a franchise which has collectively grossed 300M domestically before A:C even came out. That's got to have more to do with it than the R rating

But the original Annabelle movie was hated.

• Like 1

Just now, Boxofficerules said:

But the original Annabelle movie was hated.

IMO these conjuring movies are sold now from the power of the brand rather than the previous entry. 

Thor 2 kinda sucked but Thor 3 blew up

• Like 1

I love the concept of this film and even though Stingray said the Syfy movie of the same name and concept was shitty, I thought it was quite good for a low budget/low talent film.  This has talent behind it so I'm confident in it.

11 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

No it didnt, it seriously should have been rated R, would have made more at the box office to boot.

Yeah R-rating would have helped it amped up. But the movie was more of a comedy than a horror flick. PG-13 can make a killing too! Split, The Grudge, The Ring, and many many others. Film ratings don’t matter.

• Like 1

With A Quiet Place getting rave reviews and opening a week before this, Rampage opening the same weekend, I’d say this will get buried a bit. Maybe have a Good Friday then drop.

Especially if A Quiet Place is PG-13, then they’re both going after the same audience. People will probably flock to the one getting decent reviews.

Edited by Boxofficerules

4 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

With A Quiet Place getting rave reviews and opening a week before this, Rampage opening the same weekend, I’d say this will get buried a bit. Maybe have a Good Friday then drop.

Especially if A Quiet Place is PG-13, then they’re both going after the same audience. People will probably flock to the one getting decent reviews.

I could be wrong of course, but Quiet Place looks and feels like another It Comes at Night.  I hope it's not, hope it's much better and is actually terrifying.  Truth or Dare, if they get a nice marketing push in the last month, could do well.  The trailer let's you know you are in for some gore, some killings and it looks like a pure horror film.  I think this could surprise a bit, maybe an opening in the mid to high teens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

It’s PG-13, you’re not getting much of that.

Well, it looks pretty creepy when they are breaking hands with hammers and when the guy falls off the pool table, it looks pretty gruesome.

Just now, baumer said:

Well, it looks pretty creepy when they are breaking hands with hammers and when the guy falls off the pool table, it looks pretty gruesome.

It’s looks pretty hilarious. Those goofy faces people make Upon death are very hard to take seriously. This film should be rated R, there is no excuse why it’s PG-13. Teens prefer R rated films, they make more at the box office, it’s baffling at this point that this went PG-13.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

It’s looks pretty hilarious. Those goofy faces people make Upon death are very hard to take seriously. This film should be rated R, there is no excuse why it’s PG-13. Teens prefer R rated films, they make more at the box office, it’s baffling at this point that this went PG-13.

I agree with you.  I honestly can't think of one reason they went pg-13.  As you mentioned, R is better.