Impact

Best Supporting Actor-2012

1. Tommy Lee Jones - Lincoln2. Robert De Niro - Silver Linings Playbook3. Philip Seymour Hoffman - The Master4. Leonardo DiCaprio - Django Unchained5. Alan Arkin - Argo6. Christoph Waltz - Django Unchained7. Matthew McConaughey - Magic Mike8. Dwight Henry - Beasts of the Southern Wild9. Eddie Redmayne - Les Miserables10. Samuel L. Jackson - Django UnchainedThe race is open enough that I can see any of those 10 being in there.

I saw Django today and if Samuel AND Christoph (I know neither of them will) don't get nominated for best supp actor, it'll be a real shame. Waltz is perfect and exactly the way I imagined his character when I read the script, but Jackson eats up the scenery. This, imo, might be his best performance since Pulp Fiction. He is simply fantastic.

• Like 1

What did you think of the movie, baumer? Compared to other QT movies? And how was DiCaprio?I still have to wait 3 more weeks before it opens over here. :(

Just go to the GTM section. Pulp will always be my favourite QT movie, but this is tied for second with IB.

I saw Django today and if Samuel AND Christoph (I know neither of them will) don't get nominated for best supp actor, it'll be a real shame. Waltz is perfect and exactly the way I imagined his character when I read the script, but Jackson eats up the scenery. This, imo, might be his best performance since Pulp Fiction. He is simply fantastic.

Waltz in supporting is a category fraud since he is clearly a co-lead with Foxx. He should be pushed in the lead regardless of chances because that`s his category. I get that critics are pushing him in supporting because they know he can`t make it in Lead but that`s category fraud nonetheless. In fact, in the first half of the movie, Django supports Schultz amd then they become equals in the second half. So not a supporting role by any stretch.SLJ and Leo are classic supporting roles so they would be pushed in the right category. However, Waltz being really the lead might jump over them because he is more present in the movie and character is the most likable you`ll see this year. That`s unfair but that`s the way it is.Of those two, Leo`s in tougher position because his character is completely dispeakable and his big scene is as un-PC as it gets, really shocking and I have hard time imagining AMPAS vote for that 3 dimples speech. Big huge risk on Leo`s part which pays off in a stunner of a performance but it`s repulsive beyond limits. Which is why it`s so bold. I think that it`ll be appreicated much more in years to come, especially if he gets snubbed it`s guaranteed to create a cult following like Blanchett loss to Paltrow.
  • Like 1

I'd love to see Leo win also because he should have one by now. He was simply awesome in this as well. It's really too bad they are pushing Waltz as supporting, he was, as you say Fish, anything but. He should be the lead.

Harvey fucked up plain and simple. He should have pushed QT to deliver the movie on time and not when it`s too late. That messed up SAG and categories in which actors are pushed. Instead of Waltz in the Lead and Leo and SLP in supporting, there are 3 actors now canibalizing each other in supporting category. That`s unbelievable gaffe on Harvey`s part. Waltz could have bumped one of weaker Actor nominees. So that would leave Leo and SLJ to get into supporting and once upon a time Harvey managed to get CZJ AND Queen Latifa in supporting so Leo and SLJ should have been a breeze. As it is, Arkin, whose Argo Fuck Yourself can`t measure up to Leo`s grand speech, is a sure-fire nominee while DU actors may miss out on a single nom completely. because of that SAG fuck up. Nobody wins without SAG push and even though this isn`t a case where SAG ignored them (ZDT should worry about Ensamble snub cause the movie was clearly seen) , it isn`t helpful that all 3 are missing a precursor when competition lined up all they could get.Fuck it. DU acting is the best I`ve seen this year and in many years. QT really pushed his cast to go places so if they miss out due to screener fuck up more`s the pity.

• Like 1

I haven't seen Django, but SLJ deserved more award attention for that short clip released of the scene with him and Kerry Washington ("Why is you lying to me?") than Arkin and, I'd argue, Bardem deserved for their entire performances. He looks squarely back in his Ordell Robbie territory (a character he got also snubbed for), except now it appears to be 100% menace and zero percent likability.

I would say the same thing about Alan Arkin. The accolades he's getting for his performance is baffling.

I kind of agree. I liked him but I thought it was a good performance. There are better.

I second Bardem sentiment. He was decent but obviously meant to be the Joker figure and that was far lesser performance and character. But he campaigns and has big players (julia) who campaign for him.As for Arkin, that was good fun performance but not an oscar calibre.same as Bardem.

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

Honestly, based just on the performances of the year, I honestly believe that all three of Django's guys should be in. They won't of course, but they should. They are the three best supporting actor performances I've seen in 2012, even if Waltz is very lead-y. Arkin was mediocre, Bardem was very good but not Oscar nom worthy, and despite all the love, TLJ was pretty much just a caricature of himself and not particularly memorable. Go Django!

• Like 1