Impact

Best Supporting Actor-2012

Okay-it is unlikely that if Phenoix or Hoffman wins the other will.Only FOUR times in history has a film won both of these cats. And only Mystic River won them without picture.They were:Ben-HurGoing My WayMystic RiverBest Years of Our Lives

Oh, I forgot about him. Haven't seen the film yet, but from what I've read it seems he's good enough. I'll take DiCaprio out of my predictions and put in Henry.

He was good, but not Oscar worthy IMO. Wallis' was really the only performance that lit up the screen.

I`m not sure about Leo. he looks amazing but those who read the script say that it`s full of BSA potentials so he may split votes if Harvey campaigns Waltz and/or SLJ as well. Or if they get better reviews. Plus, PSH is Harvey`s current sure-fire pony so Leo push would split campaign inside Weinstein house.

Considering just how overwhelming the praise for Phoenix is, it'd be really awkward if Hoffman won his Oscar for The Master and Phoenix didn't. So I think if Hoffman wins, Phoenix will be even more certain to do the same. If not, Phoenix's chances remain the same.

I've seen quite a few reviews that say Hoffman tops Phoenix. Plus they tied for that award in Venice. I guess it just depends whether you like subtle or showy more...

Oh yeah, I recall some people calling Samuel L. Jackson's Stephen the best character in Django and him possibly the surprise nominee. You do have a point though, as far as Weinstein's candidates go - I'd be surprised if PSH, LDC and SLJ all made the cut (and Silver Linings is a Weinstein release too). I don't think Waltz is likely to be nominated at all.

Edited by Jake Gittes

Hmmm, oh ok. I can't wait to see that movie when it FINALLY makes it's way down here.

I can't wait to see what you think of it. Moments are absolutely brilliant and some of it is completely different. Definitely worth a watch, just don't know if I would watch it all the way through again.

Oh yeah, I recall some people calling Samuel L. Jackson's Stephen the best character in Django and him possibly the surprise nominee. You do have a point though, as far as Weinstein's candidates go - I'd be surprised if PSH, LDC and SLJ all made the cut (and Silver Linings is a Weinstein release too). I don't think Waltz is likely to be nominated at all.

I'm waiting for the year Weinstein has a category with all 5 nominees.

Oh yeah, I recall some people calling Samuel L. Jackson's Stephen the best character in Django and him possibly the surprise nominee. You do have a point though, as far as Weinstein's candidates go - I'd be surprised if PSH, LDC and SLJ all made the cut. I don't think Waltz is likely to be nominated at all.

Plus they have Robert DeNiro. And yeah, I thought Stephen was a great character when I read the script, and I thought SLJ was gonna be the best in show, but it seems like all the hype is behind DiCaprio just because he's DiCaprio, and hype definitely matters here.

I don't think Academy members look at history (besides wins) when voting. If there are two phenomenal performances, they'll award both. We'll see in four months!

I know but quite a few people always bring up trivia like this ;) Also no film since Ordinary People has won BP without a editing nod ;)

Now that voting deadlines are even sooner this year (I think?) this might be bad news for some of the late filmsOr it could be good news because Oscar voters might not have a chance to see the films and just vote on them because they sound like Oscar films with an Oscar caliber team behind it. I'm convinced that's how Extremely Loud got nominated last year...

Plus they have Robert DeNiro. And yeah, I thought Stephen was a great character when I read the script, and I thought SLJ was gonna be the best in show, but it seems like all the hype is behind DiCaprio just because he's DiCaprio, and hype definitely matters here.

The thing with Stephen is that he doesn't really get going until Act 3, after "The Event." He has a couple good scenes with Leo before then but his standout scenes occur in the final third, so his character's a slow burn to get through. Leo's character has the over-the-top evil hedonistic psycho angle working in his favor and he definitely owns the middle third of the script.