The Panda

Top Grossing Movies of 2019 Predicts

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Every Disney film until Lion King - under $250M

I will counter that with every movie in the Top 10 will be a Disney release.

1. TLK

2. A4

3. IX

4. TS4

5. CM

6. F2
7. SMHC2

8. Aladdin

9. Dumbo

10. AF

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

You act as if it's a lock when it isn't even locked for $150M

It's locked for 150m, mark my words. Social media response to both trailers have been nuts and what are the odds of a movie like that not delivering on the WOM front? 75m doesn't seem crazy at all for OW if hype keeps building like this, and 3.2x+ multi is extremely likely. It doesn't even have any competition for 2 months. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

It's locked for 150m, mark my words. Social media response to both trailers have been nuts and what are the odds of a movie like that not delivering on the WOM front? 75m doesn't seem crazy at all for OW if hype keeps building like this, and 3.2x+ multi is extremely likely. It doesn't even have any competition for 2 months. 

I don't think you understand what the word "lock" means.

Just now, That One Guy said:

I don't think you understand what the word "lock" means.

Yeah I do. CR would have to open as low as 40m before missing 150 becomes realistic. It's not opening that low under any circumstance given the response and buzz to the marketing. Again, quote me. 

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I see CR opening around $45M, and everyone here has a panic attack and then has insane legs and gets to $200M+.

It has like its entire theatrical run to itself and is probably the most locked for 80%+ on RT film we have left all year. Its legs are going to be insane. 

The Lion King probably has a good shot at winning the year DOM. The original is, arguably, the greatest and most iconic animated film of all time. The remake, as unnecessary as it may be, will blow up in anticipation the moment the teaser trailer - which I suspect will be the entire Circle Of Life sequence - is revealed.

Although, if some of the Reddit stuff I've unintentionally read is true (and apparently this is from people who accurately predicted the 3rd act + post-credit scene of IW), Avengers 4 might be a hugely emotional rollercoaster for the fans, and a crowdpleaser for sure. But I don't know if it will fly very well with everyone, since it seems like it will be the kind of film where you HAVE to know all of the films to really appreciate. But then again, I thought IW would be hurt by that too and it really wasn't, so wtf do I know.

Star Wars IX needs to be a HUUUUUGE course correcter in order to take the year. No way it beats TLJ's OW, and right now, I'm not sure if an opening even slightly above Jurassic World's is a safe bet, so it depends on that wom to thrive. Granted, December legs are always a big deal (TLJ, despite being the BVS of Holiday performers, still did a superficially great 2.8x), so maybe I'm underestimating it, but right now, it's got a lesser shot than a Star Wars episodic film should ever have. And it definitely ain't winning the year WW/OS again.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

300m predictions for TS4 are crazy to me. The admissions drop for that would be absurd and completely unjustified for such a beloved franchise that has never died off in new generational appeal. People must really be expecting it to suck, and again that seems foolish given that Pixar is well aware of how beloved all three movies have been. 

There's no hook for TS4; the last one ended things perfectly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

1. Avengers 4: 730M

2. The Lion King: 660M

3. Episode IX: 560M

4. Frozen 2: 450M

5. Captain Marvel: 420M

6. Wonder Woman 2: 380M

7. Jumanji: 370M (if it's even coming out in 2019)

8. Spider-Man 2: 360M

9. Aladdin: 350M

10. It Chapter 2: 310M

11. Toy Story 4: 300M

12. Dumbo: 250M

13. The Secret Life of Pets 2: 245M

14. Hobbs and Shaw: 240M

15. Detective Pikachu: 230M

I feel pretty good about there being a lot of 200M+ grossers next year; Bond, Glass, LEGO, and Us all stand pretty good chances, plus there's the other DC movies.

I mean I don't think Us will surpass Get Out unless it's every bit as good (which is possible I suppose but i won't get on it)

26 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I see CR opening around $45M, and everyone here has a panic attack and then has insane legs and gets to $200M+.

Wouldn't be surprised at all. I mean sure, I'm a bit higher on OW than you, but I don't think its going to come up much short of a 4.0

17 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Avengers 4 might be a hugely emotional rollercoaster for the fans, and a crowdpleaser for sure.

DM time the spoilers if possible.

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

There's no hook for TS4; the last one ended things perfectly. 

TS1 and TS2 ended things perfectly. In fact, I'd argue TS3 set things up for a sequel far more than TS1 and TS2 did by passing on the toys to a new kid. I remember a lot of people assuming TS4 would be the start of a new Bonnie trilogy back when TS3 came out. Surprised they waited this long tbh. Though the fact that they did tells me that they probably were waiting for a quality story to mature, opposed to rushing it out for a quick cash grab.